Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot 4x10 combo ..which one ?

fleabag

I've just sold my Ampeg, so now i'm pondering on a TE 4x10 combo, despite the horrendous weight

I've stumbled upon pix of an early model that has plain wood cabinet, no vinyl or carpet. I think i will avoid that one

So what does that leave ... GP11 and GP12 4 x10 combos ? Were there even combos in both GP 11 and GP 12 guises ? Was there a GP 7 4x10 combo ? I'm fairly ignorant about the originals, and i dont like the style or the price of the Peavey era gear, so it has to be the older stuff really

Assuming there's a 4x10 in GP7, 11, 12 styles, which would be the better to go for ?

I have tried a GP7 4x10 a few times and I think an GP12 SMX, but I can't remember. Both sounded fine but I really think with a 4x10 you are better off with a separate head and cab. You can buy a decent old school Trace Elliot head and 4x10 for pretty much the same price as a 4x10 combo.

I had a TE 4x10 combo. Was unimpressed. Replaced rapidly with a Markbass 2x10 combo which blew the TE away in every respect (weight, sound & decibels).

My current rig however is a 4x10 with a valve amp & weighs more than my car!

Edited by xgsjx

I dont really want separates. I already have 2 Markbass Cabs and a Carvin head, but i like to keep them packed away for gigs / rehearsals. So the combo would be for impromptu stuff, which would save me lugging separates around.

I know everyone and their granny has probably made better combos. but i still particularly fancy a TE, its just that i dont know what was available ( GP7 GP11 GP12 etc )

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1486770676' post='3234538']
I know everyone and their granny has probably made better combos. but i still particularly fancy a TE, its just that i dont know what was available ( GP7 GP11 GP12 etc )
[/quote]wouldn't have said that, they're very good combos it's just the weight of them, I started with a combo but now have 2 TE heads, one is a series six and the other a GP12 SMX which I prefer, so I'd look out for one of those, God knows what it will weigh though
Edit, apparently they're 104 pounds, hope your back is in good nick
https://www.talkbass.com/threads/fs-ft-trace-elliot-gp12smx-410-combo-kc-local-only.953381/

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1486808188' post='3234647']
wouldn't have said that, they're very good combos it's just the weight of them, I started with a combo but now have 2 TE heads, one is a series six and the other a GP12 SMX which I prefer, so I'd look out for one of those, God knows what it will weigh though
Edit, apparently they're 104 pounds, hope your back is in good nick
[url="https://www.talkbass.com/threads/fs-ft-trace-elliot-gp12smx-410-combo-kc-local-only.953381/"]https://www.talkbass...al-only.953381/[/url]
[/quote]

Yup, when i said weight wasn't an issue, i didnt think the 410 would be over 100lbs

I could think about Ashdowns as an alternative .... would still want a 4x10 though

Edited by fleabag

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1486770676' post='3234538']
I dont really want separates. I already have 2 Markbass Cabs and a Carvin head, but i like to keep them packed away for gigs / rehearsals. So the combo would be for impromptu stuff, which would save me lugging separates around.[/quote]
Trust me, there's *nothing* impromptu about a Trace 4x10 combo. I had mine for around 15 years, always enjoyed playing it, always hated moving it. The day I got rid of it for modern lightweight kit was simply transformational - the sight of stairs no longer make me descend into a pit of despair!

Mine was the GP12SM, which was followed by the SMX. The SMX combos had a different porting arrangement, added a valve stage, compressor, backlit controls. Weight: 60kg, if I remember correctly.. :(

GP12SM - late 80s

GP12SMX - early 90s

part of the weight problem with TE gear is the speakers, I've a 1 x 15 cab which weighed 25Kg, not too bad in TE terms, then I remembered I had an Eminence 300 watt 15" speaker chassis in my loft, not a Neo but still shaved 5Kg off the weight when I put it in the Trace cab, which is now a relatively light 20Kg, so you x heavy Trace speakers by 4 and you've got a serious weight problem, I love Trace heads but wouldn't touch the combos (especially a 4 x 10) with a barge pole unless I never had to move it

[quote name='jacko' timestamp='1487340951' post='3239139']
I had a 1210HSMX (the H denoting a horn) from 1996 till around 2004. Loved it but ended up in a band where it just wasn't loud enough. Also had to have it seen to for dry solder joints. Weighed a ton and a bit.
[/quote]300 trace watts wasn't loud enough? bloody hell

my SMX head is the same, only ever had it at half volume, and our drummer is bloody loud
edit, but respect for carting one of those around for 8 years, I only managed 1 gig with a 1 x 15 T E combo
I also found this info while looking to find out the power rating of the combo, might be of interest to other Trace SMX users
Pre-Shape 1:+6dB at 50Hz and 2kHz, -6dB at 400Hz.
Pre-Shape 2: +5dB at 100Hz, +3dB at 3kHz and -5dB at 650Hz.

Edited by PaulWarning