Why become a member? ×

Tina Weymouth

fleabag

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1486970345' post='3235868']
Agreed, but the subject's Tina.
[/quote]

Or 'great' because what she plays adds to the songs and in many cases makes them.
That's pretty creative. I'm not sure what ability she lacks for doing that? Should she slap a fretless 6 string left handed to make the songs better?

A back catalogue full of well written, supportive and melodic lines makes her great for me. A personal favourite is "Don't Worry about The Government". Not flash, but all her lines are really considered and never get in the way... and yet the song would collapse if they weren't there. She's a sort of New Wave Duck Dunn.

Stop Making Sense was the first record I bought with my own pocket money, and I have a massive soft spot for TW still - she was a huge influence for the pre-bassist me for tone, simplicity, timing. I wish I could write a line as perfectly simple as Once In A Lifetime (she probably didn't, but you know).

"Burning Down the House" was one of the tunes which inspired me to take up playing bass - Ms Weymouth had some part in that. Her contribution makes the song for me - not sure if that makes her "great" by some's definition but I would say "inspirational" (for me anyway).

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1486979695' post='3235936']
Or 'great' because what she plays adds to the songs and in many cases makes them.
That's pretty creative. I'm not sure what ability she lacks for doing that? Should she slap a fretless 6 string left handed to make the songs better?
[/quote]In that case there are more 'great' bass players around than I thought. Keep trying to justify her greatness ad nauseum people...

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1487009321' post='3236236']
In that case there are more 'great' bass players around than I thought. Keep trying to justify her greatness ad nauseum people...
[/quote]

Yes! You dont rate her. We get it! :rolleyes:

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1487009321' post='3236236']
In that case there are more 'great' bass players around than I thought. Keep trying to justify her greatness ad nauseum people...
[/quote]

There's one thing here thats ad nauseaum and its not Tina Weymouth

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1487011090' post='3236259']
There's one thing here thats ad nauseaum and its not Tina Weymouth
[/quote]

How strange that you should mention Nausea. For there is a strikingly prophetic passage in Sartre's 1938 existentialist novel La Nausée which bears upon this very topic. Antoine is sitting in the park contemplating things (as is his wont):

[quote]
[i]J'étais là, immobile et glacé, immergé dans une extase horrible. Mais au milieu de cette extase, quelque chose de nouveau venait de paraître; J'ai compris la nausée, je l'ai possédé.[/i]

[i]Une pensée me vint: à l'esprit, je vis une petite femme blonde et mince aux petits seins. Elle jouait de la guitare basse avec fervence et aplomb. Comment décrire sa technique? Compétent? Non. Captivant? Non.[/i]

[i]Un mot anglais: great. Oui, c'était exact. Je ne la connaissais pas, mais j'ai décidé de l'appeler <<Tina>>. Elle était l'essence même de l'existence. La nausée etait temporairement dissipée.[/i]

[/quote]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1487015242' post='3236292']
How strange that you should mention Nausea. For there is a strikingly prophetic passage in Sartre's 1938 existentialist novel La Nausée which bears upon this very topic. Antoine is sitting in the park contemplating things (as is his wont):
[/quote]

I think i'll have google Translate arrested

[left][quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1487018391' post='3236321']
I think i'll have google Translate arrested
[/quote]

This "J'étais là, immobile et glacé" means "there I was sitting eating and ice cream". Ice cream is mentioned in "The Facts of Life" from Naked. So, Talking Heads were a massive influence on JP Sartre.[/left]

Edited by toneknob

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1487015242' post='3236292']

[/quote]

Mange toute mange toute mon amis
Le petit bassiste américain est super

"Great" is bandied about too much (I know, I use it a lot!).

John McVie was great in both Fleetwood Mac's. Jack Bruce (a great player) would have been terrible in both.

John Entwistle was great in the Who but wouldn't have been any good at all in Talking Heads.

Tina Weymouth was great in Talking Heads.

Edited by chris_b