Why become a member? ×

Voices

Bilbo

I have had a great days gutiar practising today (the wife is away :lol:) and my hands are feeling a little sore (am working on Astor PIazzolla's 'Ausencias', Al Di Meola's 'Enigma of Desire', Chick Corea's 'Spain' and Ravel's 'Pavanne Pour Un Infante Defunte' all from dots - I a, working on reading treble clef in multiple voices. It makes bass clef reading feel like a piece of piss :lol:). I was, consequently, sitting flicking channels and caught a few minutes of The Voice UK before moving on and finding 'Sounds of the Seventies' on Yesterday. It was lovely to hear Neil Young, James Taylor, Joan Armatrading, Janis Ian, Carole King etc again - it has been a long time. What was clear to me was that most of these 70s legends would never have got through on The Voice or the X Factor or Britains Got Talent. One has to wonder how many other great voices (and great songs) have been missed because the business is homogenising. Or is it just that these voices didn't have the benefit of auto-tune?

The other side of this is could any of the eeerrrrmmm so called voices on The Voice sing in a true live situation, with a band or orchestra etc. I think the vocalist from the 70's would have no problem with either of these real singing opportunity.