Why become a member? ×

How long do you keep flats for?

geoham

I have changed my basses more ofton than my flat strings as I have sometimes kept the flats :)
They can foall off the cliff though as I had a set of rotosound 77's that became became dull and lifeless. You will hear it if they need changed

Edited by Pinball

My Daddario chromes which are getting a bit raggy up the tuner end are around 15 yrs old......sound great, smooth and round. I guess one persons dull and dead is anothers smooth and round....it really is all in the fingers I think.

Edited by ians

I don't change any strings often. I've had chromed on the fretless for about 4 years. They're fine for some smore. The chromes on my corvette are getting a little dead for the sound I want.

I generally keep Elixirs on the others and they last for 2 years or so.

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1486939019' post='3235794']
Why? Have they gone off somehow? Or is it more of a precaution against fatigue breakage or something?
[/quote]

No strong reason to do so, but I note that the new set (themselves not brand new) have noticeably more 'life' and tone in them. I think the old set would still be great for a real vintage sound on a fretted bass (not disposed of yet btw).