Why become a member? ×

How long do you keep flats for?

geoham

I currently have a P-bass strung with round-wound strings and a J with flats (Chromes). I'm going to switch them around - I have some brand new rounds that are going on the Jazz, but am considering just reusing the flats.

So - how long do you keep flats for? I know rounds sound their best when new, but to me flats don't degrade in the same way.

Ideally I'd have two Ps and two Js - they both sound great with both types of strings. Until such times that I have a bigger house and pay-cheque , I'll need to make do with what I have!

I've had a set of flats (dunlops) on my fretless for just under a year, they're just about worn in.

It's not unusual to have a set of flats on a bass for years. I'm about to put some pressure wound RS55s on my fretted Jazz. I don't expect they'll last as long as 'proper' flats, but I'm interested to see how long they stay 'zingy' for.

I used a Precision strung with flats for my gig tonight, first time I'v used them at a gig. I've had the set of Chromes about 8 years, but only put them on a bass last week!

Never like them when I played finger style, but now I have to use a pick, they take out some the natural twanginess and make a good round sound. I may have to buy some and string some of my other basses with them.

It all depends on the sound I am going for. On my p bass I prefer the dead thud so a set of chromes will last a couple of years. If you still want a bit of a brighter tone and you are recording I would be changing them just as often as round wounds. But it's totally subjective.

I'm curious, what is the perceived deterioration in flats? I've had a set of Status flats on for about a year and not noticed and difference in sound or feel. Unless the frets wear the winding out, I can't see how the strings would change. Enlighten me please, this is my first experience of flats.

On my Precision, TI Jazz Flats are well over two years old and just nicely broken in. Chromes on Yamaha BB are a year and a bit, and are still plenty zingy and growly.
Will probably consider some new strings around 2022, out of boredom, or if I get a new bass at some point (unlikely).

Edited by Telebass

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1486913531' post='3235452']
I'm curious, what is the perceived deterioration in flats? I've had a set of Status flats on for about a year and not noticed and difference in sound or feel. Unless the frets wear the winding out, I can't see how the strings would change. Enlighten me please, this is my first experience of flats.
[/quote]

I suppose it's possible that whatever oils or others substances come from your hands could have a effect on the string.

I'm on my 2nd set of flats (first set sold with a bass). I've had these Chromes on my Jazz for about 2 years. The definitely did sound a bit brighter when new, but I'm still perfectly happy with how they sound!

Edited by geoham

I've been using D'Addario Chromes on different basses for a few years now. Sold a bass with Chromes that were almost 2 years old and still sounding great. My current gigging P Bass has the same set of Chromes for 1 1/2 years now and still has plenty of clarity and definition in them too. And this bass has been played a lot! I thought about putting a new set on just for the sake of it, but... I think I'll see how far they can go.

I brought a second hand p bass in 2010 which had old flats on it and I still use it with them on , to be fair it's not my main gigging bass but when I get to pay music that suits old flats , it's perfect and a joy to play

Edited by lojo

Nick Davies, a pro I know, swears by La Bella 760 FLs and says they get better and better after 2 years. OTOH Berkeley teacher Danny Mo Morris has had a set of Thomasticks on his P for 16 years and to my ear the result is a dull muted thud - might as wel be a drum.

Edited by lownote12