Why become a member? ×

String Gauges are good

project_c

I realise this is stating the obvious, but for the past few years I've been doing my own setups purely by feel, and then on a whim I decided to buy a string gauge the other day, and lo and behold, it's amazing the difference a simple little ruler makes. It's cleared up a lot of things.

I've learnt that I like my action lower than the Fender 'preset', the strings on all my basses were pretty much bang on 4/64ths at the 17th fret (as opposed to 6/64ths). But I like a bit of fret buzz so that's fine. I've also learnt that my pickup heights were all over the place on all 3 of my P-basses, and when I adjusted them on my fretless (they were way too low), the difference in tone was huge. I also learnt that on my Jazz everything was perfectly aligned and I didn't need to adjust anything, which is weird.

If any of the basses had major issues I'd still take them to a pro, but for regular general maintenance these things are invaluable, I can't believe I've left it this long to get one.

If you want to properly understand how to setup your bass correctly, I thoroughly recommend the 4 part video by John Carruthers on YouTube.
Covers all aspects such as trussrod, bridge action, but action and intonation.
It covers how to carry out these steps but also explains what you are doing and why they are done in a set sequence.

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1486913846' post='3235453']
If you want to properly understand how to setup your bass correctly, I thoroughly recommend the 4 part video by John Carruthers on YouTube.
Covers all aspects such as trussrod, bridge action, but action and intonation.
It covers how to carry out these steps but also explains what you are doing and why they are done in a set sequence.
[/quote]

Thanks, I've watched all those videos many times, there are a lot of good videos for setting up Fenders. As I said I generally set up my own basses as long as there's nothing drastically wrong with them, but I've just always done it by feel rather than by measurements.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1486921237' post='3235539']

Thanks, I've watched all those videos many times, there are a lot of good videos for setting up Fenders. As I said I generally set up my own basses as long as there's nothing drastically wrong with them, but I've just always done it by feel rather than by measurements.
[/quote]

Sorry but I don't understand how you can set an instrument up by feel? If you have watched those videos then you should know that the rights tools are essential to achieving a proper setup.
None of these tools are expensive. Most people will already have Allen keys and screwdrivers but a capo, feeler gauge set, nut files and steel ruler can be had for less than £20.
A very worthwhile investment considering the price of a "pro" setup.

[quote name='Shawman' timestamp='1486939382' post='3235797']
FWIW I've just watched those videos and I now have some tools in my Amazon basket totalling £15 or so. Going to dig out my old Jim Deacon and give it a go for the first time.

Keep an eye out for the "disaster" thread ;)
[/quote]

The only thing you can do that will be a disaster(ie. undoable) is the nut action. make sure you do it after setting the trussrod relief and allowing time for the neck to settle if you have had to make a large adjustment.
make small adjustments to the nut slot before restringing(and tuning) and measuring again.
also crucial to make sure that the string is properly seated in the slot when you make the measurement - if you are using the wrong file the string may not sit at the bottom of the slot and when you make your next small adjustment you may end up getting a large drop in height. hope that make sense...

Sorry to sound a moaner but there's no such thing as a 'proper' set up. Manufacturers give a standard set of measurements as a basis to start with. After that EVERY guitar is different. EVERY player is different. You like a low action at 4/64ths with a hint of buzz, nice. Some people can't stand that and as they may play harder will like a higher action possibly 7/64ths. As for pickups, the nearer to the strings will be more aggressive and further away more mellow. THAT is what's known as 'feel', adjusting every parameter until it's just perfect for you. James Jamerson had an action you could put a pencil under, Scott Devine has low/ buzzy action like yours.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1486857931' post='3235153']
I realise this is stating the obvious, but for the past few years I've been doing my own setups purely by feel, and then on a whim I decided to buy a string gauge the other day, and lo and behold, it's amazing the difference a simple little ruler makes. It's cleared up a lot of things.

I've learnt that I like my action lower than the Fender 'preset', the strings on all my basses were pretty much bang on 4/64ths at the 17th fret (as opposed to 6/64ths). But I like a bit of fret buzz so that's fine. I've also learnt that my pickup heights were all over the place on all 3 of my P-basses, and when I adjusted them on my fretless (they were way too low), the difference in tone was huge. I also learnt that on my Jazz everything was perfectly aligned and I didn't need to adjust anything, which is weird.

If any of the basses had major issues I'd still take them to a pro, but for regular general maintenance these things are invaluable, I can't believe I've left it this long to get one.
[/quote]
Do you mean "String Action Height Guage" ?
Like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/String-Action-Gauge-Guitar-Luthier-Tool-TO13-/140907329240

I use an Allen key under the string, over the fret. Usually I set the bridge height using a 1.5mm key under each string at the 24th fret. Isn't that the same thing?

[quote name='LITTLEWING' timestamp='1487023272' post='3236396']
Sorry to sound a moaner but there's no such thing as a 'proper' set up. Manufacturers give a standard set of measurements as a basis to start with. After that EVERY guitar is different. EVERY player is different. You like a low action at 4/64ths with a hint of buzz, nice. Some people can't stand that and as they may play harder will like a higher action possibly 7/64ths. As for pickups, the nearer to the strings will be more aggressive and further away more mellow. THAT is what's known as 'feel', adjusting every parameter until it's just perfect for you. James Jamerson had an action you could put a pencil under, Scott Devine has low/ buzzy action like yours.
[/quote]

Sorry but I disagree because there is much more to properly setting up a bass than just the action! 3 out of the 4 stages of setting up a bass have to be spot on with a setup regardless of how a person personally prefers to have their action set: trussrod relief, nut action height and intonation.
Get those 3 stages done to spec then go nuts with the action to suit your preferences.

Same also goes with pickup/s height and angle - something not mentioned in the series of John Carruthers vids i mentioned earlier

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1487067559' post='3236638']
Sorry but I disagree because there is much more to properly setting up a bass than just the action! 3 out of the 4 stages of setting up a bass have to be spot on with a setup regardless of how a person personally prefers to have their action set: trussrod relief, nut action height and intonation.
Get those 3 stages done to spec then go nuts with the action to suit your preferences.

Same also goes with pickup/s height and angle - something not mentioned in the series of John Carruthers vids i mentioned earlier
[/quote]

I don't agree. I also set up all my basses by "feel" and they're more playable to me like that. If i wen't with those videos/standard measures i would be applying relief in my necks and setting the strings at a certain height but i found that i prefer them straight as a ruller with a very low action wich is perfect for my playing style.

You can't also stipulate a set pickup height as all of them have different readings and the desired tone for each player will come from a different set of heights.

Using standard tools and measures is great for a professional setting up instruments, will get them in the ballpark of a good setup but for perfect fine-tunning there's no tool better than one's ears.

My opinion is that everybody should know how to set up their instrument so they can achieve what they're after, a tech can't guess what you like or not.

That's exactly what I was trying to put across, GB. Unless a nut was fitted by Stevie Wonder, it's going to be near enough and usable in a ballpark measurement and most certainly getting a neck as straight as buzz-free possible is the goal.
One thing I must also stress is DON'T adjust anything with the guitar on it's back like in these dumb tutorials, gravity will drop the strings lower than you actually want. ALWAYS set up string and pickup height in a playing position. And watch that magnetic pull while you're doing it !!

Ok, didn't realise this would be such a contentious issue, here's what I mean by 'feel':

- first, I adjust the truss rod by looking down and seeing how straight it is, and by pressing down on the first and last fret. I like it to be fairly straight.

- then, I set the string height on the saddles by playing the bass until it feels right. Yes, by 'feel'. Which as it turns out is usually bang on 4/64ths.

- then intonation, which I don't do by feel for obvious reasons (my ears are not that accurate)

- then pickup height, which, as i've learnt, i normally set lower than i should.

That's it, I usually don't need to do much more than that. I don't see the big deal.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1487024038' post='3236412']

Do you mean "String Action Height Guage" ?
Like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/String-Action-Gauge-Guitar-Luthier-Tool-TO13-/140907329240

I use an Allen key under the string, over the fret. Usually I set the bridge height using a 1.5mm key under each string at the 24th fret. Isn't that the same thing?
[/quote]

Yes, a ruler just like that, I bought one that's metric on one side, and imperial on the other side.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1487121132' post='3237341']

Yes, a ruler just like that, I bought one that's metric on one side, and imperial on the other side.
[/quote]
Many thanks.
I'm another advocate for setting up by feel. With the cappo on, I feet at the last and want just a small gap when i tap in the centre of the neck. I couldn't tell you what that gap is, but I know it's right when I see it.

When setting up for someone else I would do the same, unless they can tell me a measurement, which I would happily do.

I used to measure string height with a coin too. Any measure will do, if it suits the player.