Why become a member? ×

Cross over set ups

Kevin Dean

Some years ago , while Helping do a PA for The Stranglers , I noticed that JJs rig had a Standard Ashdown ABM powering a 1 x15 & the DI went into a jj graphic head that powered a 4x10 allowing different tone shaping & volume settings for each cab . Does anyone else do this sort of thing ?

My flippant answer would be anyone who had roadies. In real terms I`ve not seen anyone do this, but then aside from big bands with big stages I think it would possibly be overkill, and I mean more for the amount of gear required than the sound obtained.

I've seen loads of small bands where the bassist bi-amps/multi amps.
I've done it for a few gigs.

Bass -> Bass Big Muff -[dry out]-> vesta fire DST p ->JJ500 -> 4x8 and 1x15
BBM-[effect out]-> Zoom B3 -> Peavey head-> 4x10

If your sound/band needs it, then that's what you use.

Edited by bartelby

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1486914781' post='3235472']
My flippant answer would be anyone who had roadies. In real terms I`ve not seen anyone do this, but then aside from big bands with big stages I think it would possibly be overkill, and I mean more for the amount of gear required than the sound obtained.
[/quote]

My main rig has always done it - albeit starting with 2 amp heads and 2 cabs with different FX per rig. And sometimes with 2 outputs from the bass too.

It was 2 amp heads, then it was 2 preamps and 1 stereo power amp, then it was 2 preamps that could split the signal each, so 4 preamp signals mixed into two pairs and then a stereo power amp.

Now I can do all that in my Line 6 Helix - actually to the point of having two 1/4 output feeding bass cabs with different EQs and FX, but also have two XLR with different EQ going to the PA with different IRs on it.

I like to remind guitarists that you build upwards from the basement!