Why become a member? ×

Tell me about ashdowns

Woodinblack

I went into PMT today to see if I liked the Ibanez SRF705* and see if I wanted to get one.
Plugged into some ashdown amp and played away, mentioned I didn't see much difference between pickups, so he plugged it into this second hand JJB-500 that was there. I loved the sound of it. We got talking about that, and sounds, and he demonstrated the other ashdowns, the CT100 / CT 300.
As nice as those sounded, I still preferred the sound of the JJB.

This one was second hand and way above my current budget for amps (which until today stood at £0, as I was pretty happy with my TC RG450), and I see they don't make them any more. The valve ones are just way too expensive for me, and too heavy to consider, esp the 300 (do they come with hoists?), even if they sounded nice.

Are there any of the others that sound like the JJBs? They don't seem to make them any more, or have them anywhere, other than that one, or have anything that similar.
There are a lot of EVO heads around pretty cheap, but they don't have the graphic, or have 7 bands. I didn't try any of those there as I didn't really get that interested in the idea until I had already left the shop and I had already spent quite a lot of time in there, didn't want to waste the guys time if I wasn't going to get something (or bore my wife more).

At the moment I am sort of considering another amp, initially as a backup. I liked the look and youtubes of the handbox amps but there is nowhere to try that, so am keeping an ear out for other stuff.

* I did quite like it but was not totally blown away by it. I liked the other new fretless ibanez, but its a bit ugly and currently only a 4 string

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1486870084' post='3235180']
For what it's worth the JJB head is just a rebranded Mark King signature head. So one of those is the same thing.
[/quote]They are not actually , They have different voicing ..I have the early JJB & borrowed the MK version & they sound different when a/b next to each other although you can make them sound similar to each other with use of the graphic . & I can not get the JJB to sound like the ABM with it's shape on , I just can't seem to get the Low end thud that ABM can get ..The Retro glide is similar to the JJB but the JJB has more head room .

[quote name='2elliot' timestamp='1486900451' post='3235329']
The ABM EVO IV 600 has a 9 band eq... 3 knobs plus 6 sliders. I'm quite impressed by the one I've recently bought.
[/quote]

Me too. Although I get all my eq from my Sansamp I`ve had a tinker around on the eq on the ABM and theres a great deal that can be done with this amp.

• 2 weeks later...