Why become a member? ×

Its not all about the money and number of people

bonzodog

So we were booked to do a 50th birthday last night. Arrived to find the room was up two flights of stairs and the people attending was now 40 instead of the original estimate of over 100. Plus he was a works colleague of the guitarist so we were doing mates rates.

Turned out to be a great night. Lovely family who danced all night and some of the younger kids were so impressed they actually had a live band in the room. There was a queue of kids at the end of the night having photos taken holding our gear which was great. The guy whos birthday it was has had a rough couple of years so he was visibility emotional with how well it went.

So was one of the smallest gigs we had ever done and i earnt very little money but I drove home feeling proud we had given his family a night to remember.

Excellent stuff.
Always best to never underestimate what your music can do, whatever the audience size /
venue / event etc. So easy to get blasé over your performance, "just another gig" thing, so
when the audience reacts well it makes you realise what it's all about. Keeps me going!

I remember doing a big band gig 100 years ago at a RAFA club. It was a heady Jazz Orchestra but, as it was a special occasion, we did some Glenn Miller. The old folks all got up to dance as they had done during the war. It was deeply moving and made me realise that it isn't always about the music.

It's all about how receptive the audience is.

Sometimes you have to work hard to get them on your side, sometimes they're up for it from the off, sometime they don't get going to the second set, sometimes whatever you do won't get them to budge.

I find you get to feel how gigs are going to go, but I'm continually surprised.

It's a funny game.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1486892497' post='3235243']
So was one of the smallest gigs we had ever done and i earnt very little money but I drove home feeling proud we had given his family a night to remember.
[/quote]

It would have been even nicer if they'd paid you for it.