Why become a member? ×

Rate the bass above you; the guilty pleasure edition.

ChunkyMunky

Let's play a game! The rules are simple. Post a bass that you consider a 'guilty pleasure' and the person below in response gives their opinion on it. What can go wrong, really? :P

I've got a real hankering for a Yamaha BB3000MA I've just seen on eBay and I'm sure some would turn their nose up at the funky looking aesthetics on it. What's on your GAS list that's considered a 'guilty pleasure'?

[url="http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/chunkymunky921/media/Yamaha%20BB3000MA/s-l1600_zpsftr440ge.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/chunkymunky921/media/Yamaha%20BB3000MA/s-l1600%201_zpshk8xtpak.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/chunkymunky921/media/Yamaha%20BB3000MA/s-l1600%202_zpsajfxngah.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/chunkymunky921/media/Yamaha%20BB3000MA/s-l500_zpsgmdhmm9o.jpg.html"][/url]

Looks nice, although I'm not wild about the tart's-handbag neck inlay. I'd certainly have a fretted one but without the flowery excess. I love my acoustic bass, Ok so it's not loud enough to compete with an acoustic guitar, but that doesn't bother me. It's fun to just noodle about on.

If I buy another fretless bass, it will definitely be one of these.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1486930557' post='3235690']

[/quote]

I really like these but that bloody awful shitburst finish is a deal beaker for me. Shame they don't offer them in different finishes.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1486930557' post='3235690']
Looks nice, although I'm not wild about the tart's-handbag neck inlay. I'd certainly have a fretted one but without the flowery excess. I love my acoustic bass, Ok so it's not loud enough to compete with an acoustic guitar, but that doesn't bother me. It's fun to just noodle about on.

[/quote]

Quite like the design of that bass though fretless is sooooo not my thing. However, the sunburst and the matt finish makes it look like someone hoiked it off the assembly line before the last few finishing operations had been done.

The design and marketing teams should definitely have a stern talk to themselves and think up some more attractive finishes.

So what is my guilty pleasure nominee? I see several folks are forgetting to add their own choices in, without which this thread kinda doesn't work. Well, for no other reason than having a hankering for one I've always fancied the idea of having one of these...

No idea what I'd ever actually use it for, whether I'd get on with the 30" scale and a less dour colour would be nice.

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1487074174' post='3236734']
(...)

So what is my guilty pleasure nominee? I see several folks are forgetting to add their own choices in, without which this thread kinda doesn't work. Well, for no other reason than having a hankering for one I've always fancied the idea of having one of these...

No idea what I'd ever actually use it for, whether I'd get on with the 30" scale and a less dour colour would be nice.
[/quote]

I like the vintage vibe on the Danelectro's and they do sound good but i can't get past the body shape on this one... allways reminds me of this guy:

My guilty pleasure bass is really a guilty pleasure as i don't need any more basses, in fact i have more than i need, but i would love to get my hands on one of these:

would sit great in my Yammy collection :D

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1487075688' post='3236762']
That is definitely unusual. What is it exactly?
[/quote]

It's custom made for me based on the Mouradian CS 74. Built by our Andyjr1515.

Build diary is here.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/294432-finished-and-now-for-something-completely-different/

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1487074652' post='3236739']
I like the vintage vibe on the Danelectro's and they do sound good but i can't get past the body shape on this one... allways reminds me of this guy:

My guilty pleasure bass is really a guilty pleasure as i don't need any more basses, in fact i have more than i need, but i would love to get my hands on one of these:

would sit great in my Yammy collection :D
[/quote]

I love that, apart from the white painted tuners, just why?

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1487077739' post='3236790']
Spacebass is a bit nutty for me, so is the white blob. However I really love the look of the millimetric bass, even the headstock has grown on me. Anyone played it before?

[/quote]

Too square for me amd looks quite cheap and tacky for my taste.
My guilty passion bass would be :-

Had one years ago and quite fancy another but price puts me right off.

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1487080642' post='3236829']

Too square for me amd looks quite cheap and tacky for my taste.
My guilty passion bass would be :-

Had one years ago and quite fancy another but price puts me right off.

Dave
[/quote]

Lovely bass, but I have a dislike of the forearm cutout exposing a contrasting g wood - one of my irrational deal breakers. Gorgeous other than that though.

Here's one of my GAS basses:

[Img] http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg580/christopher_brown14/rackbags/obj272geo162pg2p411_zpscawixdb5.png" class="ipsImage" />

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1487086506' post='3236899']
Not a big fan of the T-bird but I do like the colour (I'm a bit of a green man). The headstock is a bit more traditional than I would expect with these basses. My guilty pleasure - one of these - all black or all white.

[/quote]

Not my type of bass at all but I quite like the sheer simplicity of the finish. It almost makes the odd shape acceptable. Unusual headstock... tuning pegs on the back?

I have a real desire for one of these. Almost bought one a year ago... gutted I didn't. (the rockbass series... not survivor)

[quote name='gs_triumph' timestamp='1487087444' post='3236916']
Not my type of bass at all but I quite like the sheer simplicity of the finish. It almost makes the odd shape acceptable. Unusual headstock... tuning pegs on the back?

[/quote]

Actually headless system mounted in the back of the body - very trick.

No love for SG basses for me,...

But i'd love one of these again. Original shape Overwater bass. I had a single pup version about 15 years ago, and like the divot i am, i sold it.
It had an Ebony cased Bill Lawrence pickup, but i wouldnt mind a 2 pickup model as below... photo found on Basschat too

Edited by fleabag

I really like the Overwater Patriot shape too, but I doubt if I'd ever own one they seem too big to me.
Great British Bass Lounge have a couple in stock too ;)

My current guilty obsession is for a 6er. At the top of the weird list in my head is a Basslab. They are light, unique in that they are completely made of composite material and also totally hollow including the neck.

Edited by Dazed

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1487074174' post='3236734']
the sunburst and the matt finish makes it look like someone hoiked it off the assembly line before the last few finishing operations had been done.
[/quote]
:o <_<
As the owner of an exquisite [i]satin-finished, tobacco-sunburst[/i] [url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/j36.jpg"]Shuker[/url], I shall endeavour to pretend that I didn't read that.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1487093866' post='3237014']

:o <_<
As the owner of an exquisite [i]satin-finished, tobacco-sunburst[/i] [url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/j36.jpg"]Shuker[/url], I shall endeavour to pretend that I didn't read that.
[/quote]

Not ALL satin finished basses are equal (after all my no 1 bass is a non gloss Mk 1 Wal). It's that particular finish which just looks unfinished. Maybe, the particular colour and the way the wood filler is. It looks more un-buffed than deliberately satin. Reminds me of a finish Yamaha used to do on some next price point up Pacificas. A bit like this...

It wasn't a satin sheen, just dull and flat.

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1487093390' post='3237009']
I really like the Overwater Patriot shape too, but I doubt if I'd ever own one they seem too big to me.
Great British Bass Lounge have a couple in stock too ;)

My current guilty obsession is for a 6er. At the top of the weird list in my head is a Basslab. They are light, unique in that they are completely made of composite material and also totally hollow including the neck.

[/quote]

Unique definitely. And completely hollow? how? Not my personal choice but I suppose I know I wouldnt look particularly at home playing it. This on the other hand:
https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/BADCPBCH1/electric-basses/gibson-midtown-standard-bass-guitar-in-pelham-blue
is my bag