Why become a member? ×

ever have those "lose the mojo" times ?

addictedtobass

hi all.

ever have those times where you just cant be arsed to play ? and when you do it sounds ...well , crap. I try to practice as much as possible but over the last few days it seems that im sick of learning and unwilling to go over the stuff i have learned and just not finding the fun in it , but still having to sit with my lad and go through stuff he wants to know with him. is this something you folks go through occasionally and if so how do you get through it ? is this just a musical version of writers block (for want of a better description).

[quote name='addictedtobass' timestamp='1486911023' post='3235427']
hi all.

ever have those times where you just cant be arsed to play ? and when you do it sounds ...well , crap.[u] I try to practice as much as possible but over the last few days it seems that im sick of learning and unwilling to go over the stuff i have learned and just not finding the fun in it [/u], [u]but still having to sit with my lad and go through stuff he wants to know with him[/u]. is this something you folks go through occasionally and if so how do you get through it ? is this just a musical version of writers block (for want of a better description).
[/quote]

Maybe retrace your steps and find what inspires you? Sure you're not burned out?

In regards to your lad, how old is he? Maybe he might be able to find the material and learn to teach himself some stuff as a challenge if he's of the right age? :)

he has a go in fairness, but its kinda a thing that i should be doing with him, so i try to help him along. as for retracing my steps i have pretty much learned all that intrests me that is within my technical abilities. and BURNOUT oh my god please not , i didnt even realise such a thing existed ! if i have got it i am trying to think who i caught it off , is there some kind of medication i can take to get rid of it ? lol

[quote name='addictedtobass' timestamp='1486912208' post='3235442']
he has a go in fairness, but its kinda a thing that i should be doing with him, so i try to help him along. as for retracing my steps i have pretty much learned all that intrests me that is within my technical abilities. and BURNOUT oh my god please not , i didnt even realise such a thing existed ! if i have got it i am trying to think who i caught it off , is there some kind of medication i can take to get rid of it ? lol
[/quote]

If such medication was available, I'm pretty sure half of us would have overdosed on it by now. :lol: Maybe it might be best for you to have a break from it all and then come back to it? Inevitably, we pursue our creative pleasures as a means of supplementing our lives, perhaps there's something else that takes your fancy for the time being?

true enough buddy. but i have done most things that float my boat. i suppose what i wanted to hear was "it happens to me " but not the case. i will take a break i think, 20 + hrs a week minimum in practice would eventually get boring i suppose. think i need to get to the point where i am having to fight myself off of playing my basses to get hungry for it again. oh well back to the flower arranging. lol

I've not played - other than to fault-find a friends rig this week - since the middle of December...and I'm not missing it in the slightest.

A sh*tty bust up with the guitarist of the band that I founded has taken my mojo and stomped it to pieces.

I guess I'll find it again, but I'm staying away from the local scene too for now.

[quote name='addictedtobass' timestamp='1486922272' post='3235549']
true enough buddy. but i have done most things that float my boat. i suppose what i wanted to hear was "it happens to me " but not the case. i will take a break i think, 20 + hrs a week minimum in practice would eventually get boring i suppose. think i need to get to the point where i am having to fight myself off of playing my basses to get hungry for it again. oh well back to the flower arranging. lol
[/quote]

I'm not surprised you are losing your mojo practicing 20 hours a week. I barely practice anything outside of a band context. I learn new songs, I play with the band and occasionally I'll try new techniques.

It happens to me. When I'm under a lot of pressure in general, playing bass becomes another pressure that I resent, rather than an escape from the pressure. I try to focus on simple things that re-assure me and make me smile - my favourite cat (the real Josie) purring in my lap, the snowdrops in bud in the front garden - and the ****ness of life recedes slightly, and at least a bit of spark has a chance to come back.

In extreme cases, the medication exists - it's called "antidepressants". But try everything else you can first. If it has just been the last few days, it's likely to be an episode of "low mood" which is within the natural healthy range of human emotions. The fashionable emphasis on being constantly "happy" is misguided and in fact dangerous. I would say ride with it, be honest with yourself, be kind to yourself, have faith that it will pass and the light will be brighter after it.

Very best wishes.

Sometimes you just have to let it slide for a while. I don't think the time of year helps either. We've been battling laryngitis (singer and guitarist), seemingly random shift patterns (other band member) and injury (my wife - broken leg) this year and it just makes rehearsal either impossible or a whole load of stress. As for finding time to sit down and practice in between work, kids and sickness - forget it. I can barely stay awake past 9pm at the moment. I actually sat down and listened to music by other people on Saturday, for the first time in months. Nothing remotely like what I play either. That alone made me feel more like playing. The I stuck some recent practice tapes on the iPod and made a mental list of everything I want to change. I am now ever so slightly motivated to pick my bass up. Assuming I can stay awake long enough.

I read somewhere in the back of a Bass Player Magazine in one of the columns about the loss of MO JO. The advice was to put the bass down and leave it for a week. Maybe two if need be. Then it comes back by itself.

If I have no gigs for a couple of weeks, no rehearsals, no new material I have to learn, its cold weather ect I can find it uninspiring. But I just accept If I'm not in the mood, I'm not in the mood. So I just leave it. It always comes back around though.

If I feel like I'm starting to lose it cause I'm not using it, I go on youtube and look for something difficult. Like for example Tal Wilkenfields solo on Jeff Becks : "Cause we ended as lovers" or Vaulfpecks' Deantown. maybe some Jaco. Something like that. Stokes the old fire up. Gets the fingers wiggling and the brain re-engaged.

MoJo-less periods for me usually are about a couple of weeks when they happen and usually due to not gigging or rehearsing.

sounds like you either need a complete break - few days off from the bass completely so that you start to miss it - or need something completely new to try on the bass to mix it up so it's fun rather than a chore.

On the second of those, a mate of mine who's a very good guitarist, will break his downward spiral of dull practices by booking a guitar lesson. tells me it works by getting somebody else's perspective on stuff, and a set of suggested practice routines. He once spent an entire lesson explaining to the teacher that what he was saying about modes was completely wrong, and even that was great for him because he came out wanting to brush up on some of his theory.

[quote name='Monkey Steve' timestamp='1486992760' post='3236064']
sounds like you either need a complete break - few days off from the bass completely so that you start to miss it - or need something completely new to try on the bass to mix it up so it's fun rather than a chore.

On the second of those, a mate of mine who's a very good guitarist, will break his downward spiral of dull practices by booking a guitar lesson. tells me it works by getting somebody else's perspective on stuff, and a set of suggested practice routines. He once spent an entire lesson explaining to the teacher that what he was saying about modes was completely wrong, and even that was great for him because he came out wanting to brush up on some of his theory.
[/quote]

I'd like a lesson like that: Something to get you thinking about it and approaching from another angle or getting the inspiration going.

(I'm in the same position as the OP. I've started selling up)

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1486993021' post='3236068']
I'd like a lesson like that: Something to get you thinking about it and approaching from another angle or getting the inspiration going.

(I'm in the same position as the OP. I've started selling up)
[/quote]

My mate rarely used the same teacher more than once or twice, and tells me that it's all part of the idea - not to learn somebody else's habits or theories, but to challenge your own way of thinking and break out of the playing the same way all the time. Just looks for someone in the area offering lessons for advanced level

I was talking to some people about this yesterday at the NW Bass Bash. There's a guy who teaches creative writing (novels etc) who did a few masterclasses, can't remember his name. Anyway, one of the most important things I remember from it was his philosophy on breaking writers block - "Give yourself permission to write garbage".

Basically when you're at home practicing the only person that is judging you is you. You are your own worst and best critic. If you engage with your critcal brain who is telling you "this is crap" you will end up in a situation where your brain has already pre-judged what you're playing before you've even played it. "Everything before this was crap so why would this be any different". Learning to ignore that is very difficult and takes a lot of patience but eventually if you just allow yourself to play garbage instead of crucifying yourself for it you will start to approach your playing differently.

A good thing to do when you have no idea what to play is to type in random things into youtube and keep clicking until you stumble across the first video with music (shouldn't take too many clicks). When you find something, play along with it. It's a good way to force you to play something you wouldn't normally play and drags you out of a rut if you feel like your playing is getting stale and repetitive.

Hope that's helpful.

I get like this during times when i'm stressed out with work or preoccupied with some other issue, and definitely when i've not had enough sleep. lack of sleep is the single worst thing for my bass playing.

It also coincides with those times when i'm not happy with equipment or tone - which leads to GAS - I think those things are intrinsically linked. A bass can sound like crap one night, and amazing the next day after you've had some sleep. I never get enough sleep so i'm really aware of the symptoms.

i think it is stress guys. i am gonna let myself actually start to miss the bass for a few days. then come back to it hopefully refreshed. it doesnt help that i have been a guitarist most of my life and have just recently moved over to bass. my problem is that my ability as a guitarist actually sits as judge , jury and executioner over my lesser ability as a bassist. trying to run before i walk i suppose. but to cheer myself up i endulged in a wee bit of GAS. i saw this on a local site and it ended up costing me £15[url="http://[URL=http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/Robert_Mann/media/squier_zpsaelaanfq.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s677/Robert_Mann/squier_zpsaelaanfq.jpg[/IMG][/URL]"]http://[URL=http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/Robert_Mann/media/squier_zpsaelaanfq.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s677/Robert_Mann/squier_zpsaelaanfq.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/url]

[quote name='addictedtobass' timestamp='1487017430' post='3236313']
i think it is stress guys. i am gonna let myself actually start to miss the bass for a few days. then come back to it hopefully refreshed. it doesnt help that i have been a guitarist most of my life and have just recently moved over to bass. my problem is that my ability as a guitarist actually sits as judge , jury and executioner over my lesser ability as a bassist. trying to run before i walk i suppose. but to cheer myself up i endulged in a wee bit of GAS. i saw this on a local site and it ended up costing me £15http://[url="http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/Robert_Mann/media/squier_zpsaelaanfq.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]
Congratulations on the bass. £15 ?? That's amazing value! Real beaut too.