Why become a member? ×

USA Working Visa

Wan

For musician you need a P1/O1 visa

Not easy, believe me - took me 3 mths & £000s....and even then only lasted 33days for me

Need a sponsor stateside AND you need to demonstrate to USCIS that you are 'worthy' of a visa - ie you need to already be an 'artist of international renown'

and that was last year...before trump

contact Tamizdat and talk to them

I looked into going (many) years ago although not as a musician, and suspect very little has changed. It is a VERY difficult to get a work visa.
Basically, you need a sponsor, and they will need to prove that you are in some way unique in your skill set that cannot be sourced within the USA.
As someone has already said, you would need to be an internationally recognised artist (or an up and coming artist with MAJOR level management willing to take on the process).
If you are going as a freelance bass player, I would say you have two options

1. Apply for the green card lottery and hope for the best
2. Save a load of cash to prove you can support yourself and go on a 3 month "holiday" and very discretely try and get work. This route is frought with danger though, if you get caught, you will be shipped back to your country of origin at your cost and possibly be excluded from ever being able to gain entry to the USA ever again!

I gave up on my dream of working/living over there, and just went for a decent holiday instead. Life took over, and now I live in the UK 😄

I wish you all the very best!! Good luck!

Edited by Damonjames

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1487062243' post='3236570']
I looked into going (many) years ago although not as a musician, and suspect very little has changed. It is a VERY difficult to get a work visa.
Basically, you need a sponsor, and they will need to prove that you are in some way unique in your skill set that cannot be sourced within the USA.
As someone has already said, you would need to be an internationally recognised artist (or an up and coming artist with MAJOR level management willing to take on the process).
If you are going as a freelance bass player, I would say you have two options

1. Apply for the green card lottery and hope for the best
2. [u][b]Save a load of cash to prove you can support yourself and go on a 3 month "holiday" and very discretely try and get work[/b][/u]. This route is frought with danger though, if you get caught, you will be shipped back to your country of origin at your cost and possibly be excluded from ever being able to gain entry to the USA ever again!

I gave up on my dream of working/living over there, and just went for a decent holiday instead. Life took over, and now I live in the UK

I wish you all the very best!! Good luck!
[/quote]

I did this around 2003/4. I came home every 10 weeks for 1 week and returned again. It worked fine but I was always a little worried. I rented an apartment and car. This was in California.

Frank.