Why become a member? ×

2017 Grammys. Best album. What?

NancyJohnson

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1487016215' post='3236301']
not a big Bowie fan after his Ziggy period but as Jimi Hendix once said "once you're dead you're made for life" and he should have known :)
[/quote]
Much same here Paul. Station to Station and then i lst interest until Blackstar which i bought on pre-order before i knew of his circumstances. I had heard some clips from it and thought it was more a return to his older style.
Little bit off thread but its Bowie and he deserves it more than Adele. :P

Dave

The Grammy's must be heading towards a massive problem. The last few years are about how black artists are not getting the recognition they deserve. The problem being, is if a black artist wins next year, will it be for the right reasons?
On another note, I don't mind Adele.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1487068029' post='3236645']
To get back to the topic :)

An album needed to be released between Oct 1st 2015 and Sept 30th 2016 to qualify for this years award. Hence why Adele's 25 was put forward for the 2017 award and not 2016
[/quote]

Explains it all. Is it based on album sales only ?

Dave

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1487068653' post='3236651']
The Grammy's must be heading towards a massive problem. The last few years are about how black artists are not getting the recognition they deserve. The problem being, is if a black artist wins next year, will it be for the right reasons?
On another note, I don't mind Adele.
[/quote]

I see Gregory Porter managed to sneak in for the Vocal Album Grammy.....

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1487075191' post='3236748']
The point of posting the table was to show that The Next Day (being the previous Bowie album) was also highly successful rather than being "just another Bowie album".
[/quote]

Indeed - when it comes to 2013 albums, it was 26th, actually two albums higher than Michael Buble's Christmas album, but obviously not to Gary Barlow, One Direction, Justin Timberlake or Rod Stewart level of success ;) <runs>

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1487068859' post='3236655']
Explains it all. Is it based on album sales only ?

Dave
[/quote]

No (but that may not be entirely insignificant). Your record company nominates you, and the nominations are then reviewed by a panel to pick the final nominees. the lists for all the categories then goes out to the industry professionals in the Association who cast their votes. So it's very much a back slapping exercise, and while album sales don't directly play a part, they are likely to play a part in who's nomination gets approved - if you've sold 8m copies and you get nominated, clearly you;re going to get selected above a more interesting album that's only sold a few thousand.

That may or may not influence the final vote - Bowie cleaning up indicates that sentimentality may have a role to play, particularly when he's won in categories where a big chunk of the Association members may have no strong feelings. Unlike the Oscars they do not get sent copies of the songs, they are instead given access to a listening stream. Do we think that Country, R&B and classical producers are going to critically appraise whether Blackstar is better than Moon Shaped Pool, or are they going to give it to Bowie regardless of the competition?