Why become a member? ×

2017 Grammys. Best album. What?

NancyJohnson

I generally don't give a rat's ass about the Grammys (or the whole area of media backslapping in general), but am wondering about the criteria for selection.

So last night, Adele wins best album for 25. A bit more peer recognition. Don't get me wrong, she seems a nice person and while I care little for her musically, the Grammy (or the half of it) will no doubt help her sell more product.

However, here's the biggie, that album came out in November 2015. You'd think that if it was such a great album, wouldn't the plaudits have given it the best album award last February? What made it any better in 2016 (or 2017) over 2015?

At least Bowie achieved 5. Adele will NEVER been on the level of Bowie, and that is probably just how the industry is now. She will not be making off the wall experimental semi-jazz albums in her 60s.

I don't take notice of these awards, but I'm glad Bowie got the recognition he deserved. Hopefully people who listen to Adele might think 'that album of Bowie's seems popular, i'll try it'.

Its just a shame Bowie didn't get that recognition when he was alive.
Adelle has a great voice admittedly but she always comes across as false with all the tears and the "oh i can't manage to sing this because i'm so upset" crap that she does every year.
Get over it Adelle. George Michael had a few good songs but he wasn't that good or that influencial and what is that crap all about with Beyonce. Lets be honest here she and her management team would stab her in the back to gain the award so stop trying to kid everyone to get the sympathy vote. Been done too many times now to have any effect on sensible people.

I didn't actually watch the program, just the news highlights this morning, as its all back slapping friends of friends that enter it, run it and get the awards or nominations, Closed group IMHO.

As i said Adelle has a good voice but she knows it and has been living the life for several years now so awards ceremony shouldn't be a surprise.

All for the cameras crap telly. Far too many award ceremonies these days. Everyone giving their friends a wee pat on the back for doing their job basically and its a job they all chose to do because they enjoy it.

Jings i'm sounding like a bitter and twisted failure now :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave :D

I am with NancyJohnson about the points he made.
No doubt, she is a creative song writer and written some good stuff (IMO) Not a fan of her voice though.

I liked the way she destroyed the opening of the the song, stopped it after a minute or so. then started again to a rapturous round of applause.
Good job swearing is recognised in many languages, otherwise she wouldn't have the global International appeal that she does.
Real class. :D

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm5Hs3cSOv8[/media]

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1486978545' post='3235920']
At least Bowie achieved 5. Adele will NEVER been on the level of Bowie, and that is probably just how the industry is now. She will not be making off the wall experimental semi-jazz albums in her 60s.

I don't take notice of these awards, but I'm glad Bowie got the recognition he deserved. Hopefully people who listen to Adele might think 'that album of Bowie's seems popular, i'll try it'.
[/quote]

It's clear you're a Bowie fan, but this thread isn't about what he achieved, dead or alive, or comparing him to Adele.

If by the jazz album nod, you're referring to Blackstar (as I've never heard it, nor particularly want to, I don't know), had he not expired two days after the release, that album would likely been feigned to be just another Bowie album, but hey, record labels (and music journalism) loves a death in the family, huh?

I'd argue that in the main, people know the name Blackstar because of what it is and would also argue that while tangible UK sales of that album are to date some 30% higher than his previous album (which has also been out three years longer), this was because of his death; the [i]Elvis Effect[/i] I think it's referred to in the business. I'd also argue that people know of Bowie, but they don't really [i]know [/i]Bowie. If you want to test this theory out, ask anyone in earshot to give you the title of just one of Bowie's last ten albums excluding Blackstar. Go on, do it now. Most people will struggle.

In as much as saying Adele won't be making [i]off the wall experimental semi-jazz albums in her 60s[/i], I mean honestly, what sort of statement is this, it's nonsensical. Maybe she'll be going through a death-metal phase in 40 years. No. One. Knows. That said, if you do have a time machine and some insider knowledge, could you be so kind as to get me next Saturday's lottery numbers?

Probably agree on the Bowie thing of recent years not producing best selling albums. Maybe the odd song from each album but i would struggle naming his last 10 albums and i was a huge Bowie fan. Blackstar is for me a good album with a couple of great songs. Not a brilliant album just a good one.
Agree he probably only got the recognition because of circumstances.

It does make you wonder why Adele album didn't get the award last year in 2016. :huh:
From a pop point of view it probably is a good album. I quite like her voice but having bought one of her albums few yrs back i found the album a bit boring with the songs sounding very similar and for that reason wouldn't buy one again.

Dave

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1486986613' post='3235997']

It's clear you're a Bowie fan, but this thread isn't about what he achieved, dead or alive, or comparing him to Adele.

In as much as saying Adele won't be making [i]off the wall experimental semi-jazz albums in her 60s[/i], I mean honestly, what sort of statement is this, it's nonsensical. Maybe she'll be going through a death-metal phase in 40 years. No. One. Knows. That said, if you do have a time machine and some insider knowledge, could you be so kind as to get me next Saturday's lottery numbers?
[/quote]

It doesn't really matter who does or doesn't know his albums. I was stating he deserved the awards. Yes, his death certainly meant people realised how much they liked him and his album sales increased. I surely didn't appreciate him quite as much as I do now. I just don't think Adele, or any modern artist, will ever have a long career experimenting with music. The music industry doesn't seem equipped for that, especially as most people require 18 people to write a song for them.

It's just a statement. That is it. She is great singer, but that is all she does....and it's very tedious at best.

Didnt watch it cos awards are pointless as far as I am concerned. I like Adele, she has a great voice and writes most of her own material unlike most of the c**p in the charts now. She seemed to me to have worked hard to get where she is and I for one can see her singing Jazz and Blues in small clubs in 20 years time, cos she clearly loves singing.

Adele. Ideal music to make you sadder than you were before turning on the radio. Heart FM gold.

To be fair though, my favourite weren't even nominated, but such is music at the minute, people would rather be crying over Adele than venture into the realms of I Like it When You Sleep, Walls, The Getaway or Blackstar, all of which are less depressing.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1486994555' post='3236087']
Didnt watch it cos awards are pointless as far as I am concerned. I like Adele, she has a great voice and writes most of her own material unlike most of the c**p in the charts now. She seemed to me to have worked hard to get where she is and I for one can see her singing Jazz and Blues in small clubs in 20 years time, cos she clearly loves singing.
[/quote]

And she can also play bass, even whilst singing!

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1486979222' post='3235929']
Its just a shame Bowie didn't get that recognition when he was alive.

[/quote]not a big Bowie fan after his Ziggy period but as Jimi Hendix once said "once you're dead you're made for life" and he should have known :)

I am generally in agreement with The Simpson when they make fun of the Grammys and don't even consider it an award.

In terms of how Adele could win an award for best album for an album released in November 2015, I believe the deadline for releases each year is 30 September. This means that Lady Gaga can win it next year or her album released late last year.

Agree with the blackstar comments, heard the album, thought meh, lots of meh comments from non bowie fans (who thought it was great, but then they would), then he dies a few days later and it is the greatest thing ever. Don't get me wrong, I think he was a hugely influential talent, but that isn't one of his great albums.

Adele, can't really comment, she isn't my sort of thing, seems to have a strong voice if you like that kind of thing, a bit too dreary for me and always seems to be in floods of tears about something. Was puzzled by her comment about her black friends and Beyonce.
Anyway, hardly a surprise she got it, it was probably what was bound to happen, she made a lot of people rich. She should be getting an MBE soon.

On the plus side, at least metallica sounded a lot better with their new singer.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1487032746' post='3236503']
Quite honestly, I don't even know where to start with this. I think I had better go to bed and approach it again later with a fresh pair of eyes.
[/quote]

Look, I have no beef with David Bowie; I respect what he achieved but I wouldn't qualify myself as a fan at all (I think I have maybe five early tracks on one catch-all Spotify playlist that also includes songs by The Wombles). Likewise, I'm no fan of Adele either. My reply was long thought out and went through a handful of iterations before I posted it.

There's nothing disparaging in my reply...MM20's post was kind of like comparing Lionel Messi to Jamie Vardy. The surety of the 'At least Bowie got 5' and 'She'll never be on the level of Bowie', comments left me a tad aghast. Three albums in, she's quite probably bigger globally than Bowie was at this stage in his career (and it's a wholly different marketplace than it was in 1970). 40 years from now, who knows? She could easily eclipse Bowie in all areas of sales and revenues. Easily.

The only factor will be the perpetual playground argument of who is better. Bowie fans will always cite his chameleonesque ability to roll with the changes, but remember he always surrounded himself with great influences (who were all on the payroll). He didn't invent anything but he knew how to draw from trends and enlarge on them. Adele? I still feel she's no more than a club singer who got a lucky break or two, but she's very Bowie in the way she has surrounded herself with the best money will buy.

The Grammys and Adele are indicative of the general appetite for pre packaged blandness. She's done well to swim to the top but I couldn't listen to another song about how miserable she is or watch such a self congratulatory pageant. The Grammys bears out the old adage that 'You can't polish a turd, but you can throw glitter on it'.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1487032746' post='3236503']
Quite honestly, I don't even know where to start with this. I think I had better go to bed and approach it again later with a fresh pair of eyes.
[/quote]

(posts tabular data from Wikipedia to support chart positions and gold/platinum album status, something not even raised in original post)

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1487061412' post='3236563']
Agh. Just stop. Stop already. Please.
[/quote]

Why? What's the problem? My viewpoint differs from yours? Hit a nerve?

The point of a forum is to discuss, is it not? Just because someone else's opinion doesn't agree with yours, construct a critical response rather than falling back on a statements like 'Agh' and 'Stop already', which are textual versions of sticking your fingers in your ears and going 'La la la la.' when you hear something you don't want to hear.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1487068029' post='3236645']
To get back to the topic :)

An album needed to be released between Oct 1st 2015 and Sept 30th 2016 to qualify for this years award. Hence why Adele's 25 was put forward for the 2017 award and not 2016
[/quote]

Thanks. That's ultimately all I wanted to know.