Why become a member? ×

gig tips - session tips

Shonks

this has probably been done before, or maybe not, anyway, I thought I'd start this thread and give away some simple tips I've picked up over 40 years of gigging and sessioning.

please feel free to add any or criticise..... :unsure:

in not any particular order:
[list]
[*]loop your cable over your rear strap button
[*]loop your cable through the handle of your amp
[*]check batteries on an active bass
[*]run pedals from PSU's when possible
[/list]
---[list]
[*]turn your wrist watch to the inside (you can see the time while you play - no one knows your looking)
[*]look better than the audience (dress right for your gig)
[*]don't constantly stare at your instrument as if you've never seen it before (try and play confidently without looking)
[*]don't have a clip tuner permanently on you guitar (amateur)
[/list]
---
[list]
[*]be prepared to change a set list on the fly (read your audience)
[*]played a bum note?... remain looking confident ... smile...raise a subtle and accusing eyebrow at the guitarist..., deny all after the gig... ;)
[/list]
---
[list]
[*]on a session do everything possible the producer asks (obvious)
[*]try and get it right and tight the 1st time (if you want to be called back)
[*]reading: check the 'geography' of the piece (meaning: repeats, signs codas etc)
[*]before the take: look for bars of particular difficulty. It's not bad to ask the MD how a particular section should be played.
[*]any complicated unison parts, specially with brass sections - see if you can con them into playing it for you. Brass players are usually exceptional readers. (after they've played it, tell them it was wrong - watch them get upset, they'll play it again and you say " yeah, that's more like it" - gives you more of a chance to clock it! :) and they think you've paid them a compliment)
[/list]

hope you found this useful - anymore? please add!
:yarr:

How does having a clip on tuner look amateurish ?

It's surely better having it there, rather than searching for it, putting it on, switching it on, tuning and then taking it off.

Mines on the back of the headstock so from the front all you can see is a little bit of the plastic clip.

Don't think telling someone they've done something wrong is particularly professional. Just ask for a quick run through.

Edited by ambient

Best tips I was ever given, if you want to be asked back. Deps or session work, makes no odds

1. Turn up early with all your gear working
2. Help with load in/out or set-up
3. SMILE
4. Co-operate
5. Play exactly what you're asked to play
6. SMILE and say thank you

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1486992235' post='3236058']
I'd say even taking a clip on tuner out of the house is amateurish, looks like you've had it for Christmas with the guitar you're playing to me. I wouldn't tell anyone they shouldn't though, it's up to them. :)
[/quote]

Nowadays clip-on tuners are more accurate than a pedal. Plus you can't inadvertently leave yourself muted after tuning up.

The most important thing is to be prepared.

Have all the skills necessary, don't try and con your way through something. A band I regularly play for had a dep, he said he could read and improvise from chord charts, turned out he couldn't.

Stupid things too, like remember to take your glasses, music stand, music stand light, spare batteries, a spare cable. Have the correct tools for the gig.

Random thoughts. I've only ever been in the originals game so some may not apply to covers bands.

Bring gaffa tape and a multi tool.
Have your drink ready before you have to go on. Water of course...
Don't waffle on in between songs. Nobody cares what the song is about or if you've taken the cat to the vet this morning.
Have an encore of one or two songs ready. You may be surprised that people sometimes want more.
Don't get into arguments with other bands on the bill. Even if they are being dicks. Just never share a bill with them again.
Don't go over your time slot. See above.
Remember you're there to entertain.
Bring a set list. Can't believe how many times I've seen bands scribbling one out with 5 minutes to go.*
Try to look like a band and not like you've been picked randomly from the audience.
Watch the other bands. It's nice to show support and you can get an idea of what's going down well and what isn't.

*and don't write it in pink highlighter pen and find yourself staring at a blank page under the stagelights. True story and not spotty teenagers but a band that had been on TOTP a few times in the past.

Edited by Low End Bee

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1486992873' post='3236066']
Best tips I was ever given, if you want to be asked back. Deps or session work, makes no odds

1. Turn up early with all your gear working
2. Help with load in/out or set-up
3. SMILE
4. Co-operate
5. Play exactly what you're asked to play
6. SMILE and say thank you
[/quote]

Plus one...to all of the above. Just as ..(probably more so)..important as any of the "technical" stuff.

I would just add....dont play within your own little bubble. Listen, and be aware of what else is going on in the band.

I like the original post but the jury is out on clip on tuners (no issue for me) & I think we have touched on the topic before.

I think;
[list=1]
[*]Learn your parts.
[*]Show up on time.
[*]Don't moan about everything.
[*]Know your place in the band.
[*]Buy the odd drink.
[*]Enjoy it.
[/list]

Seems to have worked for me over the last 30yrs!

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1486991851' post='3236052']

Don't think telling someone they've done something wrong is particularly professional. Just ask for a quick run through.
[/quote]

in a pro situation punches aren't usually pulled - if you blow it they'll tell you, specially on an expensive session

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1486996354' post='3236111']

Nowadays clip-on tuners are more accurate than a pedal. Plus you can't inadvertently leave yourself muted after tuning up.

The most important thing is to be prepared.

Have all the skills necessary, don't try and con your way through something. A band I regularly play for had a dep, he said he could read and improvise from chord charts, turned out he couldn't.

Stupid things too, like remember to take your glasses, music stand, music stand light, spare batteries, a spare cable. Have the correct tools for the gig.
[/quote]

Clip on tuner more accurate than a pedal, any evidence to back that up? I don't mute via my tuner anyway it's constantly live from the tuner out.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1487002980' post='3236177']

Clip on tuner more accurate than a pedal, any evidence to back that up? I don't mute via my tuner anyway it's constantly live from the tuner out.
[/quote]

Maybe check a few of the specs ?

Tc polytune clip is +/- 0.02% accurate Boss tu3w +/- 1%.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1487002984' post='3236178']
I think you've misread what I was quoting :).
[/quote]

Indeed.
Any 'pro' session or pit gig, the Conductor or MD does the telling off, or dares tell a snarling Rottweiler Section,
that they have played what sounds like wrong notes.
The Rottweiler section, other than the odd split note, vary rarely drop a clam.
Well, that's what they tell you anyway. :D

If you are on a reading session, pit show or backing a turn.
Take along a sharp pencil and a rubber (not a durex), a proper rubber.

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1487003552' post='3236184']

Maybe check a few of the specs ?

Tc polytune clip is +/- 0.02% accurate Boss tu3w +/- 1%.
[/quote]

Just checked their own website, tc polytune clip is identical to the tc polytune mini pedal, +/- 0.5% chromatic tuning so I've now done my checking and dispute your claim again unless you using the strobe mode live?, also one is checking the actual signal going to my amp rather than the vibrations at the other end of the bass, also one makes you look like a douche bag :D

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='Shonks' timestamp='1486990358' post='3236034']
this has probably been done before, or maybe not, anyway, I thought I'd start this thread and give away some simple tips I've picked up over 40 years of gigging and sessioning.

please feel free to add any or criticise..... :unsure:

in not any particular order:[list]
[*]loop your cable over your rear strap button
[*]loop your cable through the handle of your amp
[*]check batteries on an active bass
[*]run pedals from PSU's when possible
[/list]
---[list]
[*]turn your wrist watch to the inside (you can see the time while you play - no one knows your looking)
[*]look better than the audience (dress right for your gig)
[*]don't constantly stare at your instrument as if you've never seen it before (try and play confidently without looking)
[*]don't have a clip tuner permanently on you guitar (amateur)
[/list]
---[list]
[*]be prepared to change a set list on the fly (read your audience)
[*]played a bum note?... remain looking confident ... smile...raise a subtle and accusing eyebrow at the guitarist..., deny all after the gig... ;)
[/list]
---[list]
[*]on a session do everything possible the producer asks (obvious)
[*]try and get it right and tight the 1st time (if you want to be called back)
[*]reading: check the 'geography' of the piece (meaning: repeats, signs codas etc)
[*]before the take: look for bars of particular difficulty. It's not bad to ask the MD how a particular section should be played.
[*]any complicated unison parts, specially with brass sections - see if you can con them into playing it for you. Brass players are usually exceptional readers. (after they've played it, tell them it was wrong - watch them get upset, they'll play it again and you say " yeah, that's more like it" - gives you more of a chance to clock it! :) and they think you've paid them a compliment)
[/list]
hope you found this useful - anymore? please add!
:yarr:
[/quote]

Some sneaky ones in there :lol: but you've probably covered all mine with your list.
Great post, enjoyed the read and learned a few things i had never even considered :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3][b]
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=3236174"][/url]Heathy, on 13 February 2017 - 04:17 PM, said:[/b][/size][/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]

If a punter tries to talk to you mid-song, lick their face.[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1487019220' post='3236332']
Love this one :gas:
[/quote]

......me too...