Why become a member? ×

gig tips - session tips

Shonks

[quote name='Shonks' timestamp='1487019908' post='3236338']

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3][b][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=3236174"][/url]Heathy, on 13 February 2017 - 04:17 PM, said:[/b][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]If a punter tries to talk to you mid-song, lick their face.[/size][/font][/color]

......me too...
[/quote]

I had a drunk woman say she loved me at my last gig. Thing was she was my HR manager. Indignity in the gig place. No licking occurred.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1487163180' post='3237651']
Should I wear a watch for an audition but explain that I won't wear it live or play it safe and just not wear it at all? What if I'm then late for the audition?
[/quote]
Now that is an interesting one. Maybe you should phone in advance. I'm sure that they will take you entirely serious and thank you for being so thorough when coming to the audition process.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1487164793' post='3237677']

Now that is an interesting one. Maybe you should phone in advance. I'm sure that they will take you entirely serious and thank you for being so thorough when coming to the audition process.
[/quote]

They'd have a f***ing shock when I then turned up in my fur coat and frilly panties but no watch wouldn't they?!

I think we should see how many gigs anyone has lost because of wearing a watch compared to wearing no trousers in a pub, lol.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1487161557' post='3237630']
I thought phones on stages were a big no no too?
[/quote]

Gotta know when to stop for a break, or the end of the gig. If there isn't a clock visible from the stage, then I need the phone nearby.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1487171140' post='3237743']
I almost lost a gig because I didn't want to put my drums in cases, which seems about as petty as a watch?
[/quote]
Well, it's not very rock and roll is it. Depends what kind of cases though... I used to play in a band where the drummer turned up with his kit in bin bags.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1487201517' post='3238083']
Well, it's not very rock and roll is it. Depends what kind of cases though... I used to play in a band where the drummer turned up with his kit in bin bags.
[/quote]

I played for years with no front head on the bass drum, so the floor tom would go inside, and the rack tom would balance on top. One trip for the drums, then one trip for cymbals, snare and stands. I thought it was super efficient and I never had a problem. Apparently it looks unprofessional so now I have to make 3 trips and f*** about with bags

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1487234213' post='3238165']

I played for years with no front head on the bass drum, so the floor tom would go inside, and the rack tom would balance on top. One trip for the drums, then one trip for cymbals, snare and stands. I thought it was super efficient and I never had a problem. Apparently it looks unprofessional so now I have to make 3 trips and f*** about with bags
[/quote]
You must have looked like a right clown - especially if you were also wearing a watch!

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fgruts.com%2Fmedia%2Fimages%2F2013%2F01%2Fjools-clock.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fgruts.com%2F20130102%2F&docid=jveSSIxrBwaW0M&tbnid=y8Je-unCJjVbzM%3A&vet=1&w=500&h=300&client=ms-android-samsung&bih=454&biw=320&q=jools%20holland%20clock%20man&ved=0ahUKEwj0qeebvpTSAhVmBMAKHclTD0wQMwgdKAEwAQ&iact=mrc&uact=8

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1487244487' post='3238290']
This has all got a bit out of hand since my facaetious comment about wearing two watches... Are there any more useful gig tips?
[/quote]one thing I've found really useful is going wireless, unless you've got a soundman it's really useful to be able to go out into the room to see what you and the rest of the band sound like in the crowd, I found my bass can sound a lot different 30 feet away from the cab than standing in front of it

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1487245978' post='3238311']
one thing I've found really useful is going wireless, unless you've got a soundman it's really useful to be able to go out into the room to see what you and the rest of the band sound like in the crowd, I found my bass can sound a lot different 30 feet away from the cab than standing in front of it
[/quote]
This is a great tip. I use my wireless kit even on the smallest stage as it's one less wire to trip over. I did play "plugged in" at the weekend at an acoustic gig and it felt a little odd. My SmoothHound wireless gizmo was money well spent.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1487244249' post='3238287']
Where do we stand on FitBits?
[/quote]

I inadvertently wore a fitbit for the first set once. I got bollocked for it from the band at the break so took it off and put it on my music stand next to my clip on tuner.

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1487252876' post='3238388']

I inadvertently wore a fitbit for the first set once. I got bollocked for it from the band at the break so took it off and put it on my music stand next to my clip on tuner.
[/quote]

Quite right too, imagine doing that gig for free only to find out after that all the exposure you'd gained was wasted after someone spouted out on face book that the bass player was wearing a watch or something resembling a watch at least! Crazy.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1487201517' post='3238083']
[/quote]

Pretty sure I recall Neil Peart saying he showed up for his Rush audition with his drums in plastic trash cans. No wonder they thought he was 'nowhere near cool enough for this band' (Lifeson)

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1487256216' post='3238421']
OK, I'll bite....what the heck is a 'fitbit'? (Obviously not a shapely member of the audience judging from the context in which it's used here!).
[/quote]

A wristworn device that tells you why you're chubby.

RE the watch thing, I'd never wear a watch while playing, as I know I'd end up scratching the neck at some stage with the buckle/clasp. I will play wearing my Jawbone (another fatty enlighting device, FinnDave), without a second thought. It looks no worse than some items that some consciously choose as stagewear.