Why become a member? ×

gig tips - session tips

Shonks

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1487002289' post='3236172']
I like the original post but the jury is out on clip on tuners (no issue for me) & I think we have touched on the topic before.

I think;[list=1]
[*]Learn your parts.
[*]Show up on time.
[*]Don't moan about everything.
[*]Know your place in the band.
[*]Buy the odd drink.
[*]Enjoy it.
[/list]

Seems to have worked for me over the last 30yrs!
[/quote]

Pretty much spot-on for me.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1487000842' post='3236157']
I'm guessing that cufflinks and a tie-clip are right out then?
[/quote]

If they are part of the band image then a suitable matching pocket watch is going to be OK. Just no horrible wrist weight masquerading as a timepiece.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1487075596' post='3236759']
But why did you need to know the time while you were playing on stage?

[/quote]
[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1487076750' post='3236775']
Very useful to check how close you are to breaks, curfew, next band onstage, blah blah.
[/quote]

I think this should answer the question :rolleyes: Why would anyone [b][i]not[/i][/b] want to know the time whilst onstage?

Don't knock the watch.
Apart from the obvious things mentioned for a working band (as said above in various posts).
The second hand on a watch can be useful:
[i][size=4][color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]"Referencing a watch is a great way to quickly find the tempo for songs at or near 60 and 120 bpm"[/font][/color][/size][/i]
[i][size=4][color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif] :)[/font][/color][/size][/i][i][color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif] [/font][/color][/i]

In reply to Lowdown.

Take along a sharp pencil and a rubber (not a durex), a proper rubber.

Bollocks that's where I got it wrong then, I thought that stunning pair of sexy French twins gave me a funny look when they asked me to meet up after the show :rolleyes:.

Muppet has it right, live gigs best not to get caught doing the sound mans wife or daughter I find, and certainly not prior to gig :gas:, they don't like it !!!

Sound man can really make or break a show !!!

Edited by Bbiigg Kev

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1487072965' post='3236713']
I wore two watches at my last gig. On the same wrist. What does that mean?!?!?!

;)
[/quote]

Disturbed :lol: :P :lol:

One for older songs and one for modern songs :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1487012530' post='3236268']
Indeed.
Any 'pro' session or pit gig, the Conductor or MD does the telling off, or dares tell a snarling Rottweiler Section,
that they have played what sounds like wrong notes.
The Rottweiler section, other than the odd split note, vary rarely drop a clam.
Well, that's what they tell you anyway. :D

If you are on a reading session, pit show or backing a turn.
Take along a sharp pencil and a rubber (not a durex), a proper rubber.
[/quote]
(and not that sort of pencil)
or several sharp pencils

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1487080259' post='3236825']
We take the piss out of drummers yet we now have a thread suggesting you should not wear a watch on stage, whatever next?

[/quote]

Edited by casapete

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1487080259' post='3236825']
We take the piss out of drummers yet we now have a thread suggesting you should not wear a watch on stage, whatever next?!
[/quote]

IMO a band should present themselves properly on stage and that means attention to detail in what you wear just as much as what you play, especially if you wan to be stand out and be remembered.

I really don't think that anyone actually needs a watch to tell the time while they are on stage performing. If you've done your pre-gig preparation properly then you'll know how long the set lasts and also how long each individual song is so that you can adjust as required to take account of any over-run.

Maybe if it fits your band image than a suitably ostentatious watch will look the part, but otherwise, IMO it's a random piece of tat clogging up your wrist.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1487080800' post='3236831']
I think I'd be more concerned about the front man wearing nothing but a fur coat and frilly panties for what looks like a fairly regular tickled trout pub gig than whether the bassist is wearing a watch or not! ;) :lol:
[/quote]

Which means that his attire has done the job. You've remembered who we are and what we look like.

On the other hand I know nothing about your band.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1487082892' post='3236862']

Which means that his attire has done the job. You've remembered who we are and what we look like.

On the other hand I know nothing about your band.
[/quote]

Not really, looks and sounds the same as other psycho billy sort of stuff to me, I'm not saying that's bad, it's just not my thing, most people would say all heavy metal bands look and sound the same if they don't like metal. I'm only aware of your band from you having it in your signature for years, I did too when playing original stuff.

Edited by stingrayPete1977