Why become a member? ×

gig tips - session tips

Shonks

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1487082831' post='3236861']
I really don't think that anyone actually needs a watch to tell the time while they are on stage performing. If you've done your pre-gig preparation properly then you'll know how long the set lasts and also how long each individual song is so that you can adjust as required to take account of any over-run.

[/quote]not always possible to determine the length of each title if the band performing a lot of improvisation

Correct - and in the bands I play in (covers and originals), there's no set list, just a song list. The singer susses the room, calls the next tune and we crash in. Knowing the time is vital when you're booked for 2 x 45 or 2 x 60.

Turning the watch to the inside of the wrist is a very good idea. I'm nicking it!

I really don't think that anyone actually needs a watch to tell the time while they are on stage performing. If you've done your pre-gig preparation properly then you'll know how long the set lasts and also how long each individual song is so that you can adjust as required to take account of any over-run.
(quote)
I've never been in a band where sets were designed to the minute and where every night the set is exactly the same.Guess you just ignore the audience and do your thing.Sounds like a boring job to me.

[quote name='Staggering on' timestamp='1487090236' post='3236956']
I really don't think that anyone actually needs a watch to tell the time while they are on stage performing.
[/quote]

There seem to be a fair few venues these days with curfews (eg The Garage in Islington)....it's useful to know when the plug will be pulled

[quote name='Staggering on' timestamp='1487090236' post='3236956']
I've never been in a band where sets were designed to the minute and where every night the set is exactly the same.Guess you just ignore the audience and do your thing.Sounds like a boring job to me.
[/quote]

I've done both and it's never boring! :)

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1487080622' post='3236828']

(and not that sort of pencil)
or several sharp pencils
[/quote]

Short of a pencil before a band call I bought a pack of ten pencils (the only things available from the tracks by the venue at short notice) Turned out to be one the best things ever, the rest of the band always go to you as the pencil guy! Oo er mrs

Edited by scalpy

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1487082892' post='3236862']
Which means that his attire has done the job. You've remembered who we are and what we look like.

On the other hand I know nothing about your band.
[/quote]
What a ludicrous statement. I know about Jedward because of their stupid hair.

Doesn't mean that they are of any music merit. If you aren't doing it for the music, aren't you just another sell out? Or is it indeed, style (if that's what it is) over substance.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1487092849' post='3237004']
Head-stock tuners are for hobbyists. Real pros use a head-stock GPS compass so they can precisely align their strings in parallel with the Earth's magnetic poles for optimum 'growl' and 'punch'.
[/quote]

Don't forget to flip your string ends from the headstock to the bridge as you pass over the equator.

Come to think of it, what do you do when you are playing ON the equator...? Or is that one of those "Ghostbusters crossing the streams" situations?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1487082831' post='3236861']
[/quote]

I completely agree... who needs a naff watch...?

Just when you thought we were done with chastising users of music stands, along come wristwatches and clip on tuners to moan about...

[size=4]I've no problem with clip on tuners - I have a Snark which works very well and one of those cheapies that Reverb were knocking out. I used the Snark last Sunday at a multi band, acoustic gig, where my pedal board and wireless set up might have been a wee bit fiddly to plumb in. It did a great job. I wouldn't use it for much live work, not because of inaccuracy, but because I'm quite active for an old bloke and I'm scared it might fly off the headstock and land in some blokes pint. I'm not sure they're very aesthetically pleasing when left on the instrument, but horses for courses, YMMV, [/size][size=4]chacun à son goût etc.[/size]

[size=4]Wristwatches. I don't wear one to gig with as I prefer to wear a selection of girly bangles on my wrist. However, someone in the band needs to know what time it is, if you're playing to a curfew or in a function band where loads of time sensitive things need to happen at specific, fixed times. The best laid plans can need to be changed if you're five minutes late going on stage because the keyboard player needed a wee, then the kick drum pedal got stuck, then the singer remembered a really amusing anecdote, then you re-jigged the set on the fly because the slow/medium/fast tunes were going down better, so you snuck another one of the same in that wasn't on the original list etc etc. You'd need the mental capacity of RainMan to keep up with all those shenanigans.The occasional sneaky peek at a watch or in my case, a quick glance down at the £2.83, eBay special, stick on digital clock on my pedal board will tell me when to wind the set up. As long as you're not staring at your timepiece like a disgruntled commuter whose bus hasn't turned up, I don't think you'll be accused of breaking the fourth wall. [/size]

Edited by rushbo

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1487092849' post='3237004']
Head-stock tuners are for hobbyists. Real pros use a head-stock GPS compass so they can precisely align their strings in parallel with the Earth's magnetic poles for optimum 'growl' and 'punch'.
[/quote]

I use a headstock mounted sextant and turn the tuning pegs so that they're following the ley lines to Glastonbury.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1487094595' post='3237025']
What a ludicrous statement. I know about Jedward because of their stupid hair.

Doesn't mean that they are of any music merit. If you aren't doing it for the music, aren't you just another sell out? Or is it indeed, style (if that's what it is) over substance.
[/quote]

No as I keep saying it is style AND substance.

It seems to be a particularly male trait to pretend not to get this and IMO nothing to be proud of.

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1487002289' post='3236172']
I like the original post but the jury is out on clip on tuners (no issue for me) & I think we have touched on the topic before.

I think;
[list=1]
[*]Learn your parts.
[*]Show up on time.
[*]Don't moan about everything.
[*]Know your place in the band.
[*]Buy the odd drink.
[*]Enjoy it.
[/list]

Seems to have worked for me over the last 30yrs!
[/quote]

+ Offer to help carry stuff in and out. Don't stand there pretending you haven't noticed someone struggling with a 4 x 10.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1487097985' post='3237087']
No as I keep saying it is style AND substance.

It seems to be a particularly male trait to pretend not to get this and IMO nothing to be proud of.
[/quote]

I get it. It's just that for [i]most[/i] bands a wrist watch wouldn't impact the style in any significant way

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1487150167' post='3237448']
I get it. It's just that for [i]most[/i] bands a wrist watch wouldn't impact the style in any significant way
[/quote]

For me, getting the details right is just as important. In fact if your band does have an "image" the wrong details will be much more noticeable and detract from the overall picture.

There's nothing wrong with wearing the right watch as part of your "look", but IME most mens watches are ugly over-sized random lumps of plastic and metal.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1487152536' post='3237474']
Thousands stay away as Kiss member wears the wrong watch shocker!
[/quote]

I'd find it hard to believe that a band so involved in their image as Kiss, would even consider wearing a watch on stage.

I challenge you to find me a photo of one of them wearing one.