Why become a member? ×

Bass strap advice please

clarkpegasus4001

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1487072259' post='3236699']
Judging by the OP's user name and avatar pic, we might conceivably be talking about a Rick here in which case advising that he uses a different bass is probably not helping. :lol:
[/quote]

I bought my Rickenbacker 4001 at the start of 2006 and it was my only bass for about 8 years. I now have 6 basses including the new Yamaha.
The Rick is a moderate weight and i've gigged for years without no problems using the same strap as I have now. The Gibson is also a tad on the heavy side. The Fender Jazz, Musicman Sabre are light as is my Spector Performer I bought for use in a tribute band.
I have used the same strap on all bar one and not had a problem at all. I use a different strap for the Spector I use for a Judas Priest tribute band but that bass is light as a feather anyway.
It's odd that the balance of the Yamaha is great, unless i have done something to my shoulder? i'm not sure, but it felt far too heavy when I played it the other day.
Chances are I will buy a Comfort Strapp. If I still have the same issue after buying another strap i'll have to consider moving the bass on and just use another bass (probably the Musicman as I used that for the new bands debut gig the other week).
I need to have the Yamaha set up and I can't take it in for a couple of weeks anyway so I have plenty of time to sort out a strap.
Thanks again to all for your imput, it makes interesting reading.

I used a short Comfort Strapp with the 34" scale fender jazz I had (about 9lbs) but moved to short scale basses (around 7lbs) and now use padded levy straps.

Still have the Comfort Strapp an would sell for a moderate cost if you are interested.

[quote name='clarkpegasus4001' timestamp='1487020913' post='3236349']
I know this topic has probably been done on numerous occasions but I could do with some advice please.
I have a bass that is approx 10lb overall weight and it feels heavy on the shoulder using my usual wide leather strap of almost 4" wide (not much in the way of padding though). My normal strap is fine with my other basses.
My question is, what strap do you use or would recommend?.[b][u]I have heard Comfort Strapp are good? Does anyone use those?[/u][/b]
Many thanks in advance guys and much appreciated.
[/quote]

I ordered two comfort straps for both myself and the bands other bassist. They work and feel nice, but to me they look quite cheap with the foam and 'stretchy stuff' ontop.

If you're comfortable with the aesthetics of it then it works wonders and helps me carry my MTD KZ6 :)

[quote name='cris the man' timestamp='1487177604' post='3237804']
I ordered two comfort straps for both myself and the bands other bassist. They work and feel nice, but to me they look quite cheap with the foam and 'stretchy stuff' ontop.

If you're comfortable with the aesthetics of it then it works wonders and helps me carry my MTD KZ6 :)
[/quote]

I don't care about the looks so long as it does the job TBH. I was talking to a good friend of mine last night online and he says he has been using Comfort Strapp's for ages. Probably the way to go for me then. Thanks for your imput.

I sold my 'Comfort Strap' because with a heavy bass I found it bouncy and with a light bass it wasn't very comfortable or soft. I really like [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/290872-nsd-lakota-leathers-3-strap/page__view__findpost__p__3122109"]Lakota Leathers[/url] straps and have one I use on my basses now. It's the softest leather I've ever seen and it feels much more comfortable for not having 'padding' as such. It's also very grippy and stops neck dive more than the Comfort did.

Cheers
ped

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1487082025' post='3236846']
Neotech Mega Strap. Got fed up of the Mono slipping down all the time.
[/quote]

This. I bought the MONO for a change, and it is comfy... but, it slips in no time at all. I'm going back to Neotech.

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1487185560' post='3237911']
This. I bought the MONO for a change, and it is comfy... but, it slips in no time at all. I'm going back to Neotech.
[/quote]

Thats odd, i have a couple of Monos for years and neither of them slip but I've heard a few people say they do...

The Comfort Strapp is made from neoprene and elastic in the main. However I wouldn't describe mine as being bouncy. They have a bit of give in them but that's a benefit imho. They are stable.

Maybe you should try a few, but most music shops don't stock decent bass straps

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1487091283' post='3236974']
Laughage !!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLDaosE67XU[/media]
[/quote]I use the Neo version of this on all my basses, except the Status S1, with the leather strap between the strap buttons to loop the right shoulder strap round. With the status I use a MONO Betty with as it's a much lighter bass.

The GruvGear Duo is great and much better than the Slider strap I used for a while

I think a lot of players have problems due to poor adjustment rather than the strap itself. About 25 years ago, I asked a guy to make me a strap, a simple wide piece of good quality leather, cut to the exact length for optimum playing comfort on my main (and still main) bass. Years of sweat, leather conditioner and weight have bent it to the shape of my body* and I still use it every time I play. I have never had back ache from playing since I've owned it - and I'm pretty slight build for a bass player. What's odd is that even compared to an off the shelf strap adjusted to the same length, it feels more comfortable and when playing my Jazz, I have to shorten a standard Fender strap to get it to feel right. I'm guessing the weight distribution and slippage are different.

* admittedly, gaining a few pounds in middle age meant that it all went a bit Mark King for a while.

I quite like that 'waistband' one Steve Albini uses -although that's more about not crashing your instrument into the mic stand.