Why become a member? ×

Bass strap advice please

clarkpegasus4001

I know this topic has probably been done on numerous occasions but I could do with some advice please.
I have a bass that is approx 10lb overall weight and it feels heavy on the shoulder using my usual wide leather strap of almost 4" wide (not much in the way of padding though). My normal strap is fine with my other basses.
My question is, what strap do you use or would recommend?.I have heard Comfort Strapp are good? Does anyone use those?
Many thanks in advance guys and much appreciated.

My Musicman Bongo (5HH) is ridiculously heavy (and I'm a big guy too) and I use the Comfort Strapp. Highly recommended. I'd honestly say it depends on your posture and choice of bass.

HappyJack would be the right person to ask about this. He did some awesome seminars at the BassChat meetups and it completely altered my playing for the better.

[quote name='clarkpegasus4001' timestamp='1487020913' post='3236349']
I know this topic has probably been done on numerous occasions but I could do with some advice please.
I have a bass that is approx 10lb overall weight and it feels heavy on the shoulder using my usual wide leather strap of almost 4" wide (not much in the way of padding though). My normal strap is fine with my other basses.
My question is, what strap do you use or would recommend?.I have heard Comfort Strapp are good? Does anyone use those?
Many thanks in advance guys and much appreciated.
[/quote]

Depending on what bass you have, I would most definitely suggest, if you haven't done so already, getting some super light weight tuning keys fitted too. For example, I changed the tuning keys on a precision bass a while back to Gotoh Res-O-Lite machine heads. The bass no longer suffered from any neck dive and on a strap felt many pounds lighter as you don't have a weight at the end of a 'long arm' bearing down on your shoulder.

These are fab.... padded too

I have 2 of these Gaucho straps. Best i've ever found, including Comforts

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Light-Brown-Guitar-Strap-Electric-x/dp/B002PX39NU/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1487029039&sr=1-2-fkmr1&keywords=Light+Brown+%27Biker+Series%27+Leather+Guitar+Strap+for+Electric%2FAcoustic%2FBass+Guitar

Also ace.. i have a couple of these too

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Light-Leather-Guitar-Electric-Acoustic/dp/B002PWY6JC/ref=pd_sim_267_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GM6801SM0MYYJTGW6E1F

Many thanks to everybody for the response i've had on this subject so far,
To answer some questions which may have relevance.....
Firstly I hold the bass usually across my stomach and sometimes slighty higher depending what bass i'm using. I move around a lot on stage too if there's room.
The bass i've recently bought is a 1977 Yamaha BB1200. I put it on my scales (I don't know if they are dead accurate but they are digital and good quality scales), and it came up 10lb dead. For the first time tonight I tried it with my usual strap and it was heavy on the shoulder although it balances fine.
As this bass is 100% original i've no intention of changing any parts on it.
Having read what some people say on here i'm edging towards either the Comfort Strapp or the Neotech Mega Bass Strap.
As a footnote, I bought the bass to use in my new band which is a tribute to Ronnie James Dio, and of course Jimmy Bain used BB basses, in fact i'm almost certain it was a natural BB1200 like mine when I saw him in Wild Horses in 1978, although it could have been another model BB i'm not sure it was a long while ago!
I'd like to get this issue sorted rather than considering moving the bass on as it's a lovely bit of kit and ideal for this band.
I hope this info helps with any future respnses and thanks again to you all it's a big help.

Edited by clarkpegasus4001

I've been using a Mono Betty with my Ric 4003s, but recently it has started to make my shoulder ache on extended periods of playing. Therefore, I've just started using the wide, padded, leather strap that came with my Maruszczyk with the Ric and the situation is now much improved.

Hey Tony, I understand this doesn't answer your question. . . but, IMO if a bass feels too heavy it usually is. I've just sold a couple of great basses because they were too heavy for me and they were lighter than your bass.

I have several good thick and wide leather straps but they also add a lot of weight, which doesn't help. Sometimes your head has to rule your heart. I hope you find a solution.

I would think twice about hefting a bass of that weight. However as regards strap recommendations I wouldn't use anything but a Comfort Strapp. Check which length you need though - some of them are quite short i.e. go by dimensions rather than description and measure up first

Edited by Norris

Tried various straps with varying widths and padding styles.
Tried the Gruvgear one with the double strap one over each shoulder.
On majority of my basses i just use it as a normal one shoulder strap and can either remove the 2nd strap or leave hanging at back.
The width and padding is excellent and hardly feel the bass on my shoulder in comparison to others.
Not cheap tho and the length available in UK is limited to shorter version only. I used a good quality leather belt to extend mine by 4 " to get correct bass height and i play normal bass height with bass centre line just above waistline of my jeans.

You can get the extended version from US tho.

Dave

I bought a Fender Neoprene strap when i got a (very heavy) Stingray5 a few years ago but found it bounced a lot and could get distracting on stage. I changed bass for a lighter TRB5PII (wich is still on the heavy side but the tone is perfect to me) and bought a Minotaur Deluxe bass strap. It should be similar with the one OP currently has, it's 4" wide, leather, but it has padding on the inside. It doesn't make the bass feel lighter but it distributes the weight in more shoulder area making it easier to get through the gigs.

I have a backup bass that's lighter and from time to time i gig it for a few weeks to rest the shoulder a bit. I rehearse sitting down so i only have to put up with the weight once or twice a week for a period of 3 hours, i find it doable for the sake of tone but would love to find a bass that sounds and feeles exactly like the TRB with a couple of pounds taken away (no, i won't be chambering mine ;) ).

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1487066215' post='3236628']
It's not just weight; balance plays a major role.
I have a 13 pounds(!) swamp ash Overwater that balances beautifully. That lives with a Mono Betty strap, no problems.
[/quote]

IME balance is a far more important factor than weight alone. A well balanced, but heavy bass can be made more comfortable with a suitable strap. I got on well with a Comfort Strapp. Other people do better with other brands. There are plenty mentioned in this thread already. You just need to try them to see which one works best for you. However a bass that doesn't balance well will never be comfortable to wear no matter how light it is or how thick and/or grippy your strap is.