Why become a member? ×

Is anybody getting bored of "reliced" instruments?

prowla

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1487609047' post='3241181']
Well, I don't think so Pete, but judging by some of the posts here it does seem to offend a few..
[/quote]

That bit is rather confusing I agree, I can't stand Morrissey so I don't listen to the Smiths, I don't like prawns either but I'll gladly have the soup to start with if someone wants a prawn cocktail too.

[quote name='gazzatriumph' timestamp='1487609372' post='3241186']
I'm sure you are a nice bloke, I just like to have a nice new looking bass and try to keep it like that, I'm not anti relic I just don't get them, horses for courses, Im a nice bloke too :)
[/quote]

I get that, I've got a lovely shiny Yamaha Attitude ltd3 (and a ltd2 actually) which I too try to keep pristine.

The main thing for me about the Fender Roadworns I have, which are, like Marc, the sunburst P, the sunburst Jazz and the Flea, is they way the necks feel in the hand. To me they just feel very comfortable and I like to feel as comfortable as possible when I play.

The necks on the Yamaha Attitudes I have are also very comfortable to me, some people really hate those too.

I enjoy playing the Yamahas and the Fender Roadworns pretty much equally. Like you say, horses for courses.

Some folks don't get why they make signature models either, I'm a sucker for them quite frankly if it's a player I really like. Apart from the latest incarnation of the Steve Harris Bass, but that's just because of the WHU badge.

Anyway, to the original question 'Is anybody getting bored of reliced instruments?' - In summary I'd say, yes, some people are bored of seeing them. But also, some people like them, are not bored of them and will continue to buy them. And then some people will be offended that someone else has bought them, but some people will be pleased for those people that they've bought an instrument that they like. And some people won't care either way.

I think there's room in the world for all of those opinions. *Drops mic*

So many journeys here!

I have added a few bits and bobs but here is my 50p's worth on top.

I have 3 pristine basses, bought second hand Pristine and will try to keep them that way. Why did I buy the G&Ls - because I like their sound and look of course.

I have just bought a Sandberg MarloweDK second hand, it is relic'd, whether you like it or not, but I bought it as primarily I liked the sound and feel of that particular model, pick up configuration etc. Yes it has been roadworn, but I will try to keep it in the condition I received it and hence pristine.

I suppose the next thread will be is anyone getting bored of basses with pick guards as essentially they have no use, and are trying to hark back to an old era where even their use for noise cancelling was dubious anyway

Tell you what I'm bored of, repeated comments such as - how can a roadworn bass be described as 'pristine' or 'like new'? It's not just on this thread either, just seen it on a Flea Jazz for sale post. YAWN. We all know what those statements [i]actually [/i]mean, i.e., in the same condition as when bought from the shop.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1487671373' post='3241612']
I'm getting bored of anything Dingwall and Darkglass orientated. It's apparently a dream combination...

If you think a relic'd bass or guitar is a fad, then fanned frets are right up there as a fad.
[/quote]
Well, they do have their fans!

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1487667721' post='3241570']
Tell you what I'm bored of, repeated comments such as - how can a roadworn bass be described as 'pristine' or 'like new'? It's not just on this thread either, just seen it on a Flea Jazz for sale post. YAWN. We all know what those statements [i]actually [/i]mean, i.e., in the same condition as when bought from the shop.
[/quote]reminds me of ripped jeans; just like new!

Edited by prowla

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1487691527' post='3241876']
This the sort of thing I was thinking of- I'm not making a case for or against, just looking at what's out there! Does it really work? What do they even [i]do[/i] to the wood? Who knows, but someone is trying to convince someone it's a valid thing.

[url="http://www.guitarworld.com/acoustic-nation-yamaha-creates-vintage-tone-new-wood"]http://www.guitarwor...e-tone-new-wood[/url]
[/quote]
Seasoning wood is the process of getting the moisture out of the wood as the wood dies and stops growing etc. The skill in this is doing it in a way that minimises "movement" in the wood; that's to say splits and warping.

There are 2 ways to season wood. You can cut it into usable size pieces and stand it outside in the weather for a year or so, or you can cut it and put it in a kiln to dry it out. These days it's usually done in a kiln because this is cheaper than owning loads of sheds to house years supplies of wood. When wood warps after you buy it, this is usually because it wasn't properly seasoned before it was put on the market. If wood does warp and then stops, it won't warp any more. So if you want you can then re-shape it in the way you want and it'll be pretty reliable.

Accelerating the aging process - interesting article. I don't know for sure but this could be the same as my bro-in-law does with his cello. He's a pro-cellist and on one of his instruments he uses a vibration gadget to sit on the body to shake it to "open it up".

That said: https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/19720-acoustic-soundboard-the-sonic-effect-of-time-and-vibration

Also, a friend of mine who's a pro classical guitarist says a good guitar is, in his opinion ok for 10 years. After that it's finished as far as he's concerned. So it's each to their own.

Sorry for going off topic. Back to dragging your bass about the patio.. :P

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1487671373' post='3241612']
I'm getting bored of anything Dingwall and Darkglass orientated. It's apparently a dream combination...

If you think a relic'd bass or guitar is a fad, then fanned frets are right up there as a fad.
[/quote]

Well..multiscale is evolution.Also extended range or extended scale basses.Even compount radius,torzal necks and tapered strings are evolution.
Is like telling that all the active electronic basses are fad.
The relic doesnt afect sound or playability.Its like trying to make a guitar looking epic.The other exaples i give,afects sound or playability and go the instruments one step forther.
Oh!dont forget..relic is more worse than lined fretless..

I reliced mine and it went well, I didn't touch the hardware as i didn't want to affect the functioning. I rounddd the board edges and the pup cover, all positive changes

So what was the result ? My music loving friends (not musos) say it looks cool, people at OM come over and ask to look at it. Kids love it. And that's the point if it as far as I'm concerned; it raises the profile of the electric bass guitar

[quote name='Saved' timestamp='1487708336' post='3242096']
Well..multiscale is evolution.Also extended range or extended scale basses.Even compount radius,torzal necks and tapered strings are evolution.
[b]The relic doesnt afect sound or playability[/b].Its like trying to make a guitar looking epic.The other exaples i give,afects sound or playability and go the instruments one step forther.
[/quote]

But, you see, IMHO relic'ing does affect the playability when the neck finish is artificially worn. If you mean the [b]setup [/b]is not affected, then yes I agree, but to me the feel of the neck is part of the playability. YMMV!

[quote name='Saved' timestamp='1487708336' post='3242096']

The relic doesnt afect sound or playability.Its like trying to make a guitar looking epic.The other exaples i give,afects sound or playability and go the instruments one step forther.
[/quote]

I'm sure the Novak system is from around 1989? Whereas multi scale has been around for a LONG time.

It's not necessarily new, but the latest ultra heavy bands are using them so they have taken off a little more.

I just don't personally see the issue with normal scale non-fanned fret instruments in the first place...but obviously each to their own!

Relic'ing or wearing of the neck can have a positive impact on playability.

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1487803055' post='3243167']
I thought fanned frets were really cool the first time I noticed them.
But they're just a fad.
[/quote]

I quite like mine, as I do my parallel fret basses. Things go in and out of fashion in this and all other worlds. They do play differently, and for those who like them nothing else is quite the same.