Why become a member? ×

Amp Ambivalence

Danuman

I forgot! I checked the other day, and it was a non-pro SVT III. Sounds nice and pillowy, but it only just cut it with my two cabs.

That AG 700 looks like it would really hit the spot, but I'm guessing it'll come with an eye watering price tag...

[quote name='Danuman' timestamp='1487024874' post='3236427']
I know, it's a pretty loud band.
It's worth mentioning though that I hooked up an Ampeg SVT 3 pro, which i believe is around 285 watts. That one did provide enough oomph, although only just...
[/quote]

Might be a silly question but have you tried it with another bass? I know that my amp when played with my cheap Harley Benton bass is very quiet due to the low output generic pickups. The same amp when my Delano humbucker is in use sounds way louder, and even at a lowly 350-watt running at less than full power (8ohms) I can plenty keep up with a very loud drummer - I generally find I am never past around 1/2 way up on the volume.

Though saying that, Watts is not a good measure of volume. So could well be that one 500 watt amp is a lot quieter than another.

[quote name='Danuman' timestamp='1487620412' post='3241307']
I forgot! I checked the other day, and it was a non-pro SVT III. Sounds nice and pillowy, but it only just cut it with my two cabs.

That AG 700 looks like it would really hit the spot, but I'm guessing it'll come with an eye watering price tag...
[/quote]Stick with the Eden it should bury your drummer! boost your mids, also be careful where you have the 'enhance control' as it tends to 'scoop if used to excess. And don't worry too much about the peak lights coming on.

Thanks, I find that diming the mids will make it louder, but will also make it sound dreadful and just not usable in any meaningful way.

The enhance button, apparently unlike other Eden models, works at about the same frequency as the mid pot (i.e. 550 Hz, which itself isn't usually a frequency band that gives me any trouble) which seems a bit like a belt and suspenders, so that's never engaged.
At any rate, I don't particularly like the smiley face eq thing. My Jazz is scooped enough all by itself :)

It almost sounds like I don't like the amp, but I really do. It's just not powerful enough.

[quote name='Danuman' timestamp='1487839030' post='3243334']
Thanks, I find that diming the mids will make it louder, but will also make it sound dreadful and just not usable in any meaningful way.

The enhance button, apparently unlike other Eden models, works at about the same frequency as the mid pot (i.e. 550 Hz, which itself isn't usually a frequency band that gives me any trouble) which seems a bit like a belt and suspenders, so that's never engaged.
At any rate, I don't particularly like the smiley face eq thing. My Jazz is scooped enough all by itself :)

It almost sounds like I don't like the amp, but I really do. It's just not powerful enough.
[/quote]Ah, so your using both pickups on the Jazz, that explains a lot. When it's just you and the Jazz , both pickups sounds the best, but with the band, the neck pickup on it's own is way louder and has stronger low mids.

[quote name='Handwired' timestamp='1487853285' post='3243530']
Ah, so your using both pickups on the Jazz, that explains a lot. When it's just you and the Jazz , both pickups sounds the best, but with the band, the neck pickup on it's own is way louder and has stronger low mids.
[/quote]
My bass isn't a Jazz, but has a PJ config. I always find the neck pickup has a much better low end. I blend the bridge pickup in very slightly if I want a touch more honk.

Yes, of course the neck pickup sounds a little fuller, however, that extra sonic information only makes the amp start clipping earlier.

Besides, I don't really want to limit myself to playing only with the neck pickup. The addition of a bridge pickup is the best thing about a Jazz in the first place! :)

[quote name='Danuman' timestamp='1487883000' post='3243931']
Yes, of course the neck pickup sounds a little fuller, however, that extra sonic information only makes the amp start clipping earlier.

Besides, I don't really want to limit myself to playing only with the neck pickup. The addition of a bridge pickup is the best thing about a Jazz in the first place! :)
[/quote]
Set the bass to get the best sound for you whilst the band's playing (that might already be what you've done). If it involves having more neck & a little less bridge pickup & the amp is clipping, turn the preamp gain down & the output up (that's what they're there for).

Thanks, that's good advice for sure, but in this case it just doesn't work. Even with the output fully open it won't go loud enough before any prohibitive clipping occurs (which, let's face it, is any clipping at all with this kind of amp).

The other day I had a lengthy discussion with a well known Dutch dealer of basses and amps. He had less than nice things to say about the power ratings the big brands award to their class-d offerings. I'd definitely be interested in the results of some proper bench testing.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all, for your considerations.

Thought I'd mention I just picked up an Eden WT550 - almost by accident. (I'd all but given up on finding one, and then this offer came along at exactly the right moment.)

I'm going to see what it's made of later tonight. :)

[quote name='Danuman' timestamp='1487938705' post='3244335']
Thanks, that's good advice for sure, but in this case it just doesn't work. Even with the output fully open it won't go loud enough before any prohibitive clipping occurs (which, let's face it, is any clipping at all with this kind of amp).

The other day I had a lengthy discussion with a well known Dutch dealer of basses and amps. He had less than nice things to say about the power ratings the big brands award to their class-d offerings. I'd definitely be interested in the results of some proper bench testing.
[/quote]There are not too many Dutch amp makers and he is probably right, The problem, with Class D is the manufacturer's claims. I will do a thread on it soon to try to demystify it.

Edited by Chienmortbb

I quickly read the RH review; funny that the reviewer called it then and there. If they'd marketed it differently, it probably wouldn't have blown up like it did. Alas.

I feel the same way about their tweaked 'special edition' type deals. Kind of stings when you just bought a product that gets updated a few weeks/months/whatever on with some minor massaging of the software -- but if you want it, you have to shell out for a completely new one plus a princely premium for the 'additional' features.

I suppose it's smart business, but I find it appallingly cynical.

Anyway, </rant>

(Sorry.)

I do really like their products.

Yes, I noticed you're a vocal proponent of these. :)

The R-400 looks similar in philosophy to the WT550, with a proper valve preamp as an added bonus. Will it run without a load?

I will most definitely check it out when I eventually get my setup sorted. (Nearly there!)
It looks brilliantly straightforward.