Why become a member? ×

Extended Length Bass Strings - Where do you buy them?

Mwoit

[quote name='Saved' timestamp='1489292123' post='3255781']
Very nice.
The nick and the fretboard are wenge?
[/quote]

Correct. It's super nice.

I realize after playing it a bit that the .174 gauge string isn't seated correctly on the nut. How do I widen the nut to accommodate the extra string width?

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1488977658' post='3253395']
I have previously bought D'Addario singles for a Dingwall (albeit 5-string). Extra Long Scale for the B and E and Long Scale for the A to G strings, they worked fine.
[/quote]

[quote name='Mwoit' timestamp='1489048827' post='3253906']
Neil from Newtone is sending me out 2 new strings for the low B and E so that's kind of him. Hopefully sooner than later.

I've stayed away from D'Addario before as I used to own a Carvin XB76 (35 1/4") and the strings didn't fit. If they do fit a 37" Dingwall, that'd be nice.

[/quote]

They won't fit the Dingwall 37" basses (e.g AB1) but will fit the Super P and Super J basses as they have a shorter scale length of 35"

[quote name='Mwoit' timestamp='1489325164' post='3256017']

Correct. It's super nice.

I realize after playing it a bit that the .174 gauge string isn't seated correctly on the nut. How do I widen the nut to accommodate the extra string width?
[/quote]

Use a nut file. Look on eBay, they aren't expensive. Doubt you will find one the exact size you need but use the nearest size one and apply some sideways pressure to widen the slot each side.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1489345959' post='3256241']
They won't fit the Dingwall 37" basses (e.g AB1) but will fit the Super P and Super J basses as they have a shorter scale length of 35"
[/quote]

The super long D'Addarios fitted the B string on my Combustion well enough with no silk hanging over. Are the Combustions different in some way as I thought Dingwalls were all 34" to 37" scale unless you otherwise requested?

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1489652181' post='3258596']
The super long D'Addarios fitted the B string on my Combustion well enough with no silk hanging over. Are the Combustions different in some way as I thought Dingwalls were all 34" to 37" scale unless you otherwise requested?
[/quote]

At the nut end the outer winding of the B string falls short in all the examples I've seen including my own basses. I'd be interested to see a picture of yours to see how the string does go on. Maybe you have a different model, I have no idea! Mine is a 2016 version.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1489662386' post='3258702']
At the nut end the outer winding of the B string falls short in all the examples I've seen including my own basses. I'd be interested to see a picture of yours to see how the string does go on. Maybe you have a different model, I have no idea! Mine is a 2016 version.
[/quote]

You're absolutely right, the last (or first depending on how you view it) doesn't quite make it. Back in my box now :blush:

[attachment=240794:Nut pic.jpg]