Why become a member? ×

Precision pickup output comparisons

Muppet

So, my Wizard Thumper has a DC resistance of 14k, My SD Quarter Pounder has a DC resistance of 11.5k.

Both are fitted in to American P basses - same strings, same setups. The QP is noticeably louder than the Thumper (although both are louder than the Custom Shop 62s fitted in a third Precision).

In my simple world, I would have thought the Thumper to have the hotter output. What other factors (if any) would determine pickup output?

cheers

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1487146425' post='3237396']
So, my Wizard Thumper has a DC resistance of 14k, My SD Quarter Pounder has a DC resistance of 11.5k.

Both are fitted in to American P basses - same strings, same setups. The QP is noticeably louder than the Thumper (although both are louder than the Custom Shop 62s fitted in a third Precision).

In my simple world, I would have thought the Thumper to have the hotter output. What other factors (if any) would determine pickup output?

cheers
[/quote]
Im not an expert on this by any means but I am guessing the large pole pieces of the Quarter pounder pickup are a large factor in output, there is a mod for the weak J pickup in the short scale Squier Jaguar where you put a magnet on top of it and it boosts the output by boosting the magnetic field and I would think the large pole pieces in the Quarter pounder pickup work on the same principle regarding output

[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1487152940' post='3237481']

Im not an expert on this by any means but I am guessing the large pole pieces of the Quarter pounder pickup are a large factor in output, there is a mod for the weak J pickup in the short scale Squier Jaguar where you put a magnet on top of it and it boosts the output by boosting the magnetic field and I would think the large pole pieces in the Quarter pounder pickup work on the same principle regarding output
[/quote] This.

I'd also add that resistance is also dependant on the number of turns in the coil AND the gauge of the wire used. So without knowing all this resistance if the coil doesn't really tell you a lot.

The truth is a pickup works through induction, not resistance.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1487168286' post='3237708']
This.

I'd also add that resistance is also dependant on the number of turns in the coil AND the gauge of the wire used. So without knowing all this resistance if the coil doesn't really tell you a lot.

The truth is a pickup works through induction, not resistance.
[/quote]

+1
As stated it's actually the inductance which is important here.
The resistance is somewhat indicative of the inductance but depends on wire gauge (and material though it's going to be copper).
Resistance is more readily measured which means its often quoted.
To add to things the inductance itself varies with frequency depending on the construction an materials (magnets / core) used in the pickup...