Surprisingly good purchases?

41 replies to this topic

#1 ChunkyMunky

Bass and curry enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:00 AM

I went on a spree of trying all sorts of different cabinets and the one I ended up choosing was something I did not expect in the slightest. I tried out a load of Barefaced, Schroeder, EA, EBS etc.. I ended up going for a TC Electronics of some description that I used regularly from a rehearsal studio I go to all the time. A TC Electronics BC2x12, if I recall correctly.

Has anyone else had any surprising buys that turned out absolute trumps for them? :)

Edited by ChunkyMunky, 15 February 2017 - 12:08 PM.

Musicman Bongo 5HH

Genz Benz Shuttle 12

A new cabinet soon!

A tuner pedal.

#2 Conan

What would Geddy Lee do?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts
  • Interests:Music, food, drink, family, garden, cricket, rugby...

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:25 AM

Lovely thread title! :D
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz bass; G&L M2000 GTB tribute; 'Fecker' fretless J; J&D Vintage 1975 J (modified). Markbass LMII, TKS H115, Barefaced Compact. Feedback here.

After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true. Live long and prosper!

#3 ChunkyMunky

Bass and curry enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:09 PM

View PostConan, on 15 February 2017 - 09:25 AM, said:

Lovely thread title! :D

I know, great title, right? B)

Musicman Bongo 5HH

Genz Benz Shuttle 12

A new cabinet soon!

A tuner pedal.

#4 Mudpup

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Curry, bass stuff, bicycles, F1, Chelsea FC,

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:41 PM

A Musicman USA Sub bass......
Far too good a bass for around 400
Sold it on and shouldn't have......

stuff.....
Fender Nate Mendel Precision, Musicman Stingray 2eq 1997, Sandberg PM4 Custom,
Gallien Krueger GT700RB, Ashdown ABM600 Evo iv and a couple of Barefaced Big Baby 2 cabs

Feedback thread here http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1

Playing live all over the South East of Englandshire in YELLOWHOUSE (Stadium rock in your local boozer!!!!)

http://www.lemonrock.com/yellowhouse1

http://www.facebook....s/221831483416/

#5 Fisheth

The one who knocks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • Interests:Ashdown, Barefaced,Fender and Mensinger gear.

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:52 PM

Ashdown CTM100, it's the only amp I've ever really used that gives me the tone I want and doesn't have to struggle with the rest of my band.

It's a lovely beast and Merton's thread pushed me over the edge with my uncertainty and made it certain I wanted one. I'm glad I did.
Gear:

Amps and Cabs:

Ampeg SVT CL
Ashdown CTM100
Ashdown Mag 410 (UK)
Barefaced Super Compact

Basses:
Lakland Skyline JSonic
MIJ Fender Steve Harris
Maruszczyk Custom Jake
Mensinger "greenburst" Speesy
Mensinger "Checkered" Speesy

#6 Paul S

Is this the custom member title?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,981 posts
  • Interests:Music,other stuff.

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:56 PM

In a search for a lightweight 5 string to use as back up for an expensive 5er I recently bought a Yamaha BB425 for something like £330 new. I don't know how they do it, frankly.

#7 Merton

Warning: May Cause Drowsiness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,283 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:10 PM

View PostFisheth, on 15 February 2017 - 04:52 PM, said:

Ashdown CTM100, it's the only amp I've ever really used that gives me the tone I want and doesn't have to struggle with the rest of my band.

It's a lovely beast and Merton's thread pushed me over the edge with my uncertainty and made it certain I wanted one. I'm glad I did.

That's right, blame me haha ;)

I still rate that amp as the finest thing I've ever used, just wish I hadn't had to sell both of the ones I've owned. I will get another when I can afford it.

As for my answer - Ashdown VS212 cab. Bought 2nd hand from eBay for not a lot of dosh and it is very good, even moreso given the experience I had with the VS112 which just didn't do it for me.
Basses by ACG and Status Graphite - Amplification by Ashdown - Cables by rock-wire (OBBM)

Back in the Day - weddings, functions, parties
Boogie Monsters - live music for little monsters

Merton's feedback

#8 Painy

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:27 PM

My Squier VM P5 (270 new at the time).

Had GAS for a P bass (didn't want a P/J though) but needed it to be a five string. Not many options available for 5 String precisions and I didn't want to spend out on a Fender US Standard.
Went to try the Squier out at my local PMT and, whadya know, it's only the most comfortable neck I've ever played!
It's had some upgrades to the electronics to get it sounding right and I'm still considering putting a new pickup in it at some point but it's always the first bass I pick up and it puts a smile on my face every time.
Squier Vintage Modified Precision V, Sunburst/Tort/Maple.
Fender Modern Player Jazz V. Olly White/Black/Rosewood.
Sterling SUB Ray 5. Trans Blue/Black/Rosewood.
Harley Benton HTR-PJ5 Deluxe, Hotrod Red/White Sparkle/Rosewood.

Aguilar AG500 head and 2X Aguilar DB112 cabs in Chocolate Thunder.
Trace Elliot AH350 GP12 SMX head.

EBS Octabass
EHX Steel Leather
Joyo Roll Boost
MXR M80 Bass DI+
Palmer Deepressor
Palmer Ubertreiber
Pearl Noise Suppressor
Snark Pedal Tuner

My Feedback: http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry3027031

#9 FinnDave

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts
  • Interests:Bass, bass, and more bass.

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:33 AM

Ashdown Touring 330 combo I picked up on Ebay as a practice amp, but sounded so good it immediately became my main gig amp. My ABM500/Barefaced Super Twin cost ten times as much and hasn't been used since I got the combo!
Bass player for The Wirebirds (funky psychedelic blues/rock) and Angelis Noctis (Nightwish and Within Temptation tribute).

Things with strings: Gibson Thunderbird, Epiphone Thunderbird classic pro iv, two Fender US standard Precisions, Fender US Standard Jazz, Epiphone Jack Casady Bass
Noisy things: Two Ashdown Rootmaster 800s, Barefaced Super Twin (serial #001), Barefaced Super Compact.
Safety things: ACS Pro earplugs.

Things for sale: Fender 60s Classic Jazz, Ashdown ABM 500 Evo II, Ashdown ABM 600 Evo IV

Keeping it live, keeping it real.

The Wirebirds

Lemonrock

Live recordings

#10 leroydiamond

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:59 PM

Kustom KXB500. Read some good things about this amp on TB, so decided to get one as a back up for my Tecamp Puma 900.
Well the Puma has been moved on and the Kustom has ticked all the boxes. It kicks every micro amp I have used (markbass, TH500, GK500, Puma) well into touch and all for 299. Sadly no longer in production, so I am shipping a used one from the U.S.

#11 AdamWoodBass

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:24 PM

In terms of basses my Squier Vintage Modified Jazz. Absolutely incredible bass, if it weren't for the logo on the headstock you probably wouldn't question a price tag of double or even triple the cost. Decent setup and a set of DR Fat Beams and it sounds fantastic. I played a 1972 Fender Jazz a few years ago and my Squier is as close as you can get to that sound and feel but for a fraction of the cost. For £300 you really can't go wrong with this one.

In terms of amps/cabs I'd say the Warwick Neo Pro 411nd I had years ago was amazing. I got a good deal on it from Electromusic in Doncaster when the Behringer cab I bought from them blew up on it's first gig. They recommended the Warwick and knocked the price down for me to make up for the faulty Behringer (great customer service). Great range, very powerful and very light for a 4x10.
My Band:
akuduband.com

4 String Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
4 String Legend Jazz Bass - defretted
4 String JHS Vintage V4 Reissue P Bass

Markbass LM III
Barefaced Retro two10

Find me on SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/adam-mark-wood

Basschat Feedback

#12 casapete

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:10 PM

Squier Jaguar short scale - PJ pickup arrangement, light and looks cool. Love cheapish stuff that works great.

Also Hartke HA3500 amps - had a couple, and always regret trading/selling them on (I know, duh..)
Seem to be cheaper than ever s/h these days, and all the amp I'll ever need. Loud as hell, great eq and
reliable. Next one will be a keeper.

#13 VTypeV4

Engineer and Musician club

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 993 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, PA, Bass, Speakers and Amps.

Posted 18 February 2017 - 01:04 AM

I've had a few 'better than they ought to be' purchases..

Firstly is my Squier VM Jazz - also mentioned above I see - it's absolute corker! Far better than any number of 'real' ones I've played and even a couple I owned.

Secondly is probably the old Ashton rig I owned. Heavy, yes but it was a solid performer and had my old Trace not re-surfaced, I'd still have it. The valve head and 410 have long gone but I kept the 15 and housed a JBL K140 in it.
Trace Elliot V4 MKII Head..

SWR Goliath Jr III x 2..

Yamaha NE-1.

'01 Warwick Streamer LX5.

'06 Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass.

Yamaha 02R x3 plus Allen & Heath ML5000

Aka 'Matt Sound' from the Rigger.

Live sound and Recording engineer. https://www.facebook...ynkronizemedia/

My Bikes..
'87 Yamaha FJ1200 1TX
'89 Yamaha FJ1200 3CV
'80 Honda CX500 A
'89 Honda VFR400 NC30

#14 planer

Ten thumbed, tone deaf, talentless noise polluter.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Aeroplanes, bass stuff (duuur!), bikes (the noisy type), techy stuff, space stuff, beer, and cake.

Posted 18 February 2017 - 06:46 AM

I've got a BC212, mine is surprisingly good too!

My other 'better than it should be' is my BB424X - how do Yamaha squeeze in all that quality for so little money?
Twangy bits: Yamaha BB424X, pimped J&D Jazz, Harley Benton B-30 BK. Loud bits: GK MB-200 & TC BC212.
Bicycle parts: Ashdown NM-2, Smooth Hound wireless and TC PolyChooooooon. My Feedback thread: http://basschat....ack-for-planer/

Ronald McDonald Houses - An independent charity supporting families with children in hospital - http://www.rmhc.org.uk/what-we-do/
The Royal Marsden Hospital - The caring-est cancer care on the planet - https://www.royalmarsden.org/
ProCure Oklahoma City - Proton Radio Therapy in the US of A! - https://www.procure....klahoma-Explore

#15 Bolo

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • Interests:Many

Posted 18 February 2017 - 08:29 AM

Peavey 410 tvx? Cab! I got it as an in between cab when I sold the awful and mushy ampeg 410, needed cash to order the 412 basstown I still use today. That peavey is massive and sounds tenfold it's price! I may not have switched to 12inchers had I played the peavey before.

Having said that, the basstown 412. That's not going anywhere soon.

Musicman SR5. Got a good deal secondhand when they were still cheaper. Nails the sound I was looking for.
Musicman SR5
Engl 1030 rackhead, Basstown 4x12 ferrolite
MXR m82, Verellen Meatsmoke preamp, MXR m87

#16 scrumpymike

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:Basses (especially Gibsons and other quirky shorties) and bikes (the ones with engines)

Posted 18 February 2017 - 12:45 PM

My trusty TE AH300SMC GP7. Bought it used - and in haste (untried) - for £300 from The Bass Centre to fill in while my AH500X (2 x 250W amps in one box) was having a noisy volume pot replaced. As soon as I hit that pre-shape button - that was it! The 300 became the 'keeper' and I sold the 500 when it came back from repair. 25 years on, it's still my main gig amp and hasn't let me down once.
Basses
Fender Classic Player Rascal - FOR SALE!!
Hohner The Jack active - FOR SALE!!
Maruszczyk s-s Elwood Custom 4a
Mensinger Cazpar 4p
Amps
Eden WTX264
Trace Elliot AH300 SMC GP7 - FOR SALE!!
Cabs
Barefaced: Super Compact Gen 3; One10 (x2)
TE 115300 - FOR SALE!!

#17 Kevin Dean

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • Interests:Shuker JJB 26, Shuker Black 36" ,Status necked Jazz. Ashdown ABM 1000 .Ahsdown ABM 400 RH . JJB 500. 2 x Ashdown RMT 12" with Sica drivers .

Posted 18 February 2017 - 12:57 PM

I was using BF super compacts at £560 each , I got a Ashdown RM12" for £270 to use at Home & I now use 2 of them & some times a Neo 4 x8 cab that I got for a silly price on here .

Edited by Kevin Dean, 18 February 2017 - 02:43 PM.

#18 Lozz196

Basschat Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,370 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 01:47 PM

I`d say pretty much all of my Ashdown gear. I`ve been using much higher-priced gear for a while now, but at many gigs the provided rigs have been Ashdowns and I`ve always preferred the sound from them than from my own gear. So I`ve bought a fair bit of it, at not much cost at all - and could have been cheaper if I`d gone 2nd hand on the amps rather than new. I`m well chuffed with it all.
Fender, Rotosound, Ashdown, Tech21, OBBM/Rock-Wire

My Feedback http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry1802027

Playing Bass for Knock Off - https://knockoff.wix.com/knockoff

Knock Off August 2017 Activity:
Fri 04 Aug - Rebellion Festival, Blackpool (16:55, Arena Stage)
Sun 27 Aug - Mounts Bay Music & Performance Centre, Penzance (supporting Dirt Box Disco)

#19 gjones

Yer only as good as yer drummer.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 03:09 PM

View PostChunkyMunky, on 15 February 2017 - 09:00 AM, said:

I went on a spree of trying all sorts of different cabinets and the one I ended up choosing was something I did not expect in the slightest. I tried out a load of Barefaced, Schroeder, EA, EBS etc.. I ended up going for a TC Electronics of some description that I used regularly from a rehearsal studio I go to all the time. A TC Electronics BC2x12, if I recall correctly.

Has anyone else had any surprising buys that turned out absolute trumps for them? :)

I used to have one of those. It sounded very nice and it was light too.
My Feedback http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...0&hl=gjones

Fender Jazz, J-retro, GK MB500, Barefaced Compact

#20 Williams4S

No longer a newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:49 PM

I bought a TC RS112 cab from Thomann a few years back when they were going for £170. I couldn't believe something so cheap sounded so good, although the prices nowadays are closer to £400 brand new. Does anyone know why they were so cheap a few years back?

Bought another a few weeks back (second hand) for £200 - completely worth it!

#21 krismpos

No longer a newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:26 PM

View PostChunkyMunky, on 15 February 2017 - 09:00 AM, said:

I was planning to save money for a Barefaced to replace my TC E BC212 :P
G&L USA L2000, Warwick BO Thumb 5, Fender Jazz Bass Fretless MIJ, Ibanez SR200
TC Electronic BH500, TC Electronic BC212
MXR Bass Compressor, Aguilar Tonehammer DI, TC Electronic Polytune, MXR Stereo Chorus, MXR Envelope Filter, EBS Octabass, Mooer Juicer

#22 Freddie75

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:Playin ze Bass

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:06 AM

TC RS212 for me. After owning Barefaced, Bergs, Aguilar, Genz Neox etc etc, I've found my tonal heaven with a Genz Streamliner 900 and an RS212. Half the price of some of the other cabs I've owned.
www.felixandthefunk.com

#23 Muzz

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:43 AM

As far as amps and cabs go, secondhand bargains aside, I've always found you get what you pay for. Cheap stuff has never worked for me.

I have a Thomann deco HB 55-P thing which cost all of £35 brand new, including shipping. It's no Shuker, but for the money, it's very good. I've used it at gigs where the punter's ticket price was five times what I paid for it, just on principle... :D

Oooh, that reminds me - the Behringer BDI21 pedal: 99% Sansamp (for what I use it for), 10% cost...

Edited by Muzz, 21 March 2017 - 09:39 AM.

Rig: Magellan 800, Mesa Walkabout, BF Super Twin, SonicPort/iPad/Jamup, OBBM Cables.
Basses: Dingwall, Shuker, various mongrels.
Bands: www.thisunevensky.co.uk, www.noelfraser.com

#24 GreeneKing

Hyper elite mega member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:49 AM

I've owned a Yamaha BB2024. My present BB425 is much closer than the huge price difference would suggest.
If you change the way you look at things:

The way things look changes.

#25 Fisheth

The one who knocks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • Interests:Ashdown, Barefaced,Fender and Mensinger gear.

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:10 AM

Also my Sansamp VT has been invaluable.

Can't imagine going to a gig without it.
Gear:

Amps and Cabs:

Ampeg SVT CL
Ashdown CTM100
Ashdown Mag 410 (UK)
Barefaced Super Compact

Basses:
Lakland Skyline JSonic
MIJ Fender Steve Harris
Maruszczyk Custom Jake
Mensinger "greenburst" Speesy
Mensinger "Checkered" Speesy

#26 dood

@DanVeallBassist

• Members
  • 8,388,607 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:23 AM

Reaper DAW by Cockos. I've been using it for donkeys years now and not really scratched the surface of what it's truly capable of. It's just a nice bit of software that I can even do basic video editing on!

I've Recorded 250+ HD Bass Gear Video Reviews (and you'll find many here) - Full Archive list here on BassChat

Spotify Best Basslines Evaaar Playlist! You can add your favourite BASS tracks too! - MY BASSCHAT FEEDBACK

www.Instagram.com/DanVeallBassist - www.Facebook.com/DanVeallBassist

www.GuitarInteractiveMagazine.com

Professional Musician and Tutor, Workshop Leader, Remote Session Artist, Service and Tech.

Bergantino, D'Addario / Planet Waves, Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars.

TC Electronic, Zoom.

#27 dood

@DanVeallBassist

• Members
  • 8,388,607 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:27 AM

More recently though, the D'Addario Eclipse tuner that I bought with my last order of strings is really rather good. Also from TC Electronic, I still love the SpectraComp, but just arrived, the 'Sub n' Up' is just a bonkers good stand alone Octave pedal. The tracking down low is better than any pedal I've used to date.

I've Recorded 250+ HD Bass Gear Video Reviews (and you'll find many here) - Full Archive list here on BassChat

Spotify Best Basslines Evaaar Playlist! You can add your favourite BASS tracks too! - MY BASSCHAT FEEDBACK

Professional Musician and Tutor, Workshop Leader, Remote Session Artist, Service and Tech.

Bergantino, D'Addario / Planet Waves, Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars.

TC Electronic, Zoom.

#28 dood

@DanVeallBassist

• Members
  • 8,388,607 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:30 AM

Ok, one more... apologies! - I'm going to do a thread about it. Just arrived, the Zoom H2n field recorder that can record from 4 directions (kinda like surround sound). It's just brilliant for picking up rehearsal recordings and even gigs. Yeah, I knew it would be good but it ended up being much better than expected!

TC Electronic, Zoom.

#29 Danuman

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Anything, really... Don't get me started.

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:47 AM

Seeing as we're off amps and cabs for the moment, I just realised I have owned my Boss TU-2 for at least 12 years.
It took a mighty beating over the years, while everything surrounding it got switched around and replaced.

Never gave it much thought, but I'm stumped if that isn't what you're looking for in a tuner...

#30 dangoose

No longer a newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:22 PM

A 90's Peavey 210TX with the carpet covering bought for £30. After a clean up and a bit of TLC to fix some loose wiring it sounds quite astonishing when stood on its end as an upright 2x10 and can put out a fair bit of thump and twang despite its modest power rating. My Boogie and Barefaced cabs are gathering dust since it came along!
Overwater Original Series Custom | 1998 Fender USA Standard P-Bass | 2012 Fender USA Standard Jazz | 2015 EB Musicman Stingray | 2001 Ashdown EVO500 | Peavey 210 TX

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users