Why become a member? ×

The BIG FAT South-West Bass Bash, nr Taunton, 2nd April

scrumpymike

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1491153503' post='3270853']

Glad to report I'm relatively GAS free...except for those BF 1x10's 🤓
[/quote]

Humph. I now want a 51 style P- bass like yours and Jabba's piezo fretless.

Thanks scrumpy for all the hard work organising it. It was good fun.

It was great to meet everybody and thanks to all those people that came over and chatted and had a go on our basses.

Made a few good connections that hopefully something will come out of. And ate too many cheese scones.

Looking forward to seeing the photos.

- Stephen

I'd just like to add my thanks to Mike and the Scrumpys for a really enjoyable day. The atmosphere was really welcoming and the food was lovely - a very big thanks for that!! My wife and kids really enjoyed the cup cakes given to me for them to eat on the way home - a lovely touch and much appreciated. Both the venue and weather were perfect. If there's one next year then put my name on the list....

It was great to be able to put faces to names I've seen on here before and to get to try out some different gear (I really would like an RH450 now - great piece of kit!). It was also very interesting talking to the guys from Gillett, Chowny and Retrovibe guitars. Everybody at the bash was friendly and chatty, made for a great day.

Thanks again!

Edited by Jabba_the_gut

[quote name='Jabba_the_gut' timestamp='1491166730' post='3271008']
I'd just like to add my thanks to Mike and the Scrumpys for a really enjoyable day. The atmosphere was really welcoming and the food was lovely - a very big thanks for that!! My wife and kids really enjoyed the cup cakes given to me for them to eat on the way home - a lovely touch and much appreciated. Both the venue and weather were perfect. If there's one next year then put my name on the list....

It was great to be able to put faces to names I've seen on here before and to get to try out some different gear (I really would like an RH450 now - great piece of kit!). It was also very interesting talking to the guys from Gillett, Chowny and Retrovibe guitars. Everybody at the bash was friendly and chatty, made for a great day.

Thanks again!
[/quote]I have to say that the pictures on the build threads do not do your basses justice, they are works of art.

Edited by Chienmortbb

Just got home from a totally Bass-centric day: Bash 10.00 till 4.00, then Blues Jam in Glastonbury 5.00 -6.40 followed up with rehearsal 7.00 - 10.10. The highlights were between 10.00 am and 4.00 pm, so thanks to all concerned, both organisers, helpers and participants.

I somehow doubt it but I believe next years will be even better..how can that be?

Thanks to all involved, it was a splendid day all round. Thanks again to the ladies for the lovely food and great to be able to put faces to names. Some excellent work from Jabba, great to see someone putting doors and bits of furniture to Sound use! Jabba if you remember where you got the piezo from can you let me know? Put me down for the next year so nice to meet so many great people. Brilliant! Hope the recording came out alright Phil.

Thank's to Mike and all the scrumpy team. Lovely day in bassland,very friendly and inclusive. +1 for the RH450, Genz Benz amps also highly desirable. TE V4 still my favourite though!

In my grand tradition of forgetting to take something (thanks to Charlie and Mike for cable lends) and leaving something behind-anyone see a black fleece somewhere below the stage area?

What a brilliant day!
Brilliant venue.
Brilliant organisation.
Brilliant helpers.
Brilliant food
Brilliant basses and cabs etc
Brilliant BassChatters
Brilliant raffle
Brilliant weather.

All in all.........Brilliant

Many thanks to Mike and the team.

[quote name='Norm' timestamp='1491214013' post='3271198']
Ay up! Found some pennies down the back of the sofa? A 5str maybe or a fretless 4? 😁
[/quote]
Alas no, but I have found a nice big bit of scrap mahogany for his wood store :lol:

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1491214618' post='3271205']

Alas no, but I have found a nice big bit of scrap mahogany for his wood store :lol:
[/quote]
Nice one! Be interesting to see what bass voodoo Jabba can conjour from it? 😊

[quote name='GrahamT' timestamp='1491211949' post='3271181']
What a brilliant day!
Brilliant venue.
Brilliant organisation.
Brilliant helpers.
Brilliant food
Brilliant basses and cabs etc
Brilliant BassChatters
Brilliant raffle
Brilliant weather.

All in all.........Brilliant

Many thanks to Mike and the team.
[/quote]

What about the milk?

[quote name='derreybass' timestamp='1491173465' post='3271048']
Thanks to all involved, it was a splendid day all round. Thanks again to the ladies for the lovely food and great to be able to put faces to names. Some excellent work from Jabba, great to see someone putting doors and bits of furniture to Sound use! Jabba if you remember where you got the piezo from can you let me know? Put me down for the next year so nice to meet so many great people. Brilliant! Hope the recording came out alright Phil.
[/quote]

Pm'd

OK, here's the first set of pic's giving a flavour of the day. Loads more to follow!

Woody & Dom performing open-heart surgery

David Koenig of Retrovibe looks on while Zummerbass tries one of hos basses and Westwood enjoys a Gillett unplugged moment.

L-R: TheRev and BassBod try out Gillett electro-acoustic basses in the Quiet Room

yorks5stringer tries a Chowny SWB-1 while I tell him how much I like mine.

Jabba and his beautiful basses.

...and some more!

MoJoKe brought lots of lovely Mark Bas kit.

This lovely little red Retrovibe Zygote floated my boat - suggested a short-scale version for me and David K's having a think about it.

The Mark Bass stuff coming in during set-up time.

Watch this space for more images!

Having had a few days to recover - very pleased to see and try the Retrovibe basses. Derivative designs, but very useable and a really well thought out set of features, esp the new P/J model. Great value. Surprised I didn't bond with the acoustic basses, I normally love anything like that..but I suspect I'm just facing up to the fact that I'm a double bass player. Its only taken 25 years.

The one that got me was the Status King Bass. Not my thing, really, and would get me sacked from a lot of my regular work (headless, LEDs) but it played beautifully, even with very light strings...and responded instantly. You think it, its plays on the bass. Wow.

I forgot to try out the new NS bass, but there was cake. The big Ashdown valve amps and BF cabs are a bit scary. I'll admit it. I'm more of a DI wimp these days.

What a nice bunch of people.

Edited by BassBod

Me and Mrs. Scrumpy have just done the sums for the bash and found that we're £36 out of pocket :( Given all the hours we put in, this hardly seems fair! We would therefore be grateful if those of you who regret not buying a commemorative T-shirt on the day (or bought one and want more) now pm me to buy the few we've got left. Available sizes (actual as measured) are: M = 40"; L = 43"; XL = 45"; 2XL = 50"; 3XL = 50". Price is £12 inc. p&p. I'll donate anything over the £36 to this wonderful forum.

In addition to the pic's already posted, we've got lots of nice shots of individuals that I'll be sending them by pm over the next few days (they may wish to post them on here afterwards). In the meantime, here's 'official' photographer Scrumpy Janey's favourite - which happens to be westwood playing a Gillett electro-acoustic (although I'm not sure that he'll be wanting to share this with the members of his band!?):

Yes, some mugs left too Norm - didn't mention as the message on them is not 'event-specific' and so they'll keep til next year (!?) whereas the remaining 2017 shirts obviously have a shelf-life. £5 ea + postage (tba) - pm me.