Why become a member? ×

LaBella flatwounds - thoughts? opinions?

pendingrequests

Specifically looking at the: LaBella 760FL - 43/104 or La Bella 760FS 45/105 for a P-bass

Playing style: various - pick, fingers - (pop, funk, rock)

I have the D'Addario Chrome flats currently and they are good, but don't have that low thump I want. Also, there feels like there is a coating on them, which restricts my playing, which is why I reverted back to rotowounds for now.

Anyone had them/using them?

Thoughts/feelings?

Classic flats - they belong on a P.

They're definitely warmer and less clangy than Chromes (well, as clangy as flats ever get), but loads going in in the mids. They feel smooth once they wear in, and they're not too stiff or floppy.

I would still be using them, but I currently use GHS Precision flats which are a bit cheaper, and IMO almost identical.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1487192144' post='3238003']
For The Win.
[/quote] You lost me there I'm afraid.

edit Just googled that. Lucky for me that's not the common meaning with folks I know,would get strange looks having " For the win " tattooed across the back of my hand.

Edited by kodiakblair

We appear to have gone somewhat off topic, we'll be arguing the 'correct' pronunciation of scone next, which won't help the OP.

In an effort to get us back on track, I revise my previous statement to, '[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]You want thump? LaBella flatwounds are the winners here; in my opinion.'[/color][/font]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] '[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]You want thump? LaBella flatwounds are the winners here; in my opinion.'[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I'll go with that but for further " Thump" I'll raise you La Bella nylon tapes :)[/font][/color]

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1487263656' post='3238492']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] '[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]You want thump? LaBella flatwounds are the winners here; in my opinion.'[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I'll go with that but for further " Thump" I'll raise you La Bella nylon tapes :)[/font][/color]
[/quote]Agreed. I have these fitted on my Rob Allen.

Went over to La Bellas on both my Wals a bit over a year ago and am loving them. However, I do take some issue with the standard "Want thud/thump use La Bella Flats" mantra you hear a lot. That for me sounds like a very limited, non-sustaining sound which is not at all what I get from them. Now, if it means a strongly fundamental based sound that cuts through the mix really effectively, that's more like it. However, that seems a long way from the words "thud" and "thump".

I love the sound of them, much to my surprise actually. My more considered and detailed thoughts on the flats are here...

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/273185-adventures-in-flatland-formerly-another-so-im-thinking-about-flats-but-thread/page__view__findpost__p__2943813

And here...

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/273185-adventures-in-flatland-formerly-another-so-im-thinking-about-flats-but-thread/page__view__findpost__p__2993109

Longish story... my first set were an unwanted set from CamdenRob which he'd tried on his Wal Mk 1 and decided quickly weren't for him so I don't know for sure. They went on my shedua Mk 1.

The second set on my Pro IIE are 760FLs. However they feel much the same as the ones on the Mk1 so I'm guessing they're both the same.