Why become a member? ×

Pre amp location.

Lazurus

I have an old Model 97 pre amp sitting on top of my bass amp linked by a short patch cable to the amp. As I am new to all things Bass upon looking around most pre amps are either mounted on the bass itself or on a pedal board nearby. Is there a reason for this? or is it just preference, it seemed easier for me to have it with the amp rather than hanging onto the bass or getting kicked around the floor. here are no adjustments I nee to make when playing so for me the actual location is not important.

Common sense says it shouldn't make a difference but thought I would ask.

Im sure I've read somewhere that you should have the shortest possible length of cable between your pickup and preamp - something to do with the resistance of a long cable affecting impedance??

I suppose it's up to your ears really, if it sounds the same after 15ft of cable as it does after 1ft of cable then the job's a good'un.

I'm a "Run it at the Amp" sort of bloke. I do hate to have stuff hanging off of my tailpiece, I run a few different setups but non on the bass itself. Having said that I've recently fitted a bridge to someones bass and he wanted me to fit his pickups and pre amp. This thing is made for fitting to the tailpiece and whats more, its sounds really good even if your not a rockabilly player. I'm tempted!
https://www.thomann.de/gb/shadow_sh_rb_pro_rockabilly_system.htm

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1487185217' post='3237908']
Im sure I've read somewhere that you should have the shortest possible length of cable between your pickup and preamp - something to do with the resistance of a long cable affecting impedance??
[/quote]

I'm sure I have read the same thing somewhere (might even have been on here)
One of my pre-amp / pickup arrangements is a K&K system (which is great btw). I bought it used from someone on this forum.
The said lead is indeed, short. The buyer said he thought that K&K only supplied short leads - maybe this is the reason?

Aside that, as others have said, work with the arrangement you prefer
Personally, I sometimes prefer to have at least a level control as close to hand as possible
I often find I'm just out of arms reach of my amp

When I use it, I have my FDeck mounted on the tailpiece with Dual-lock tape (bit like velcro but more holding power). My regular pre amp is my Fishman Plat Pro EQ, which sits on the stage next to my left foot, connected by a 6ft lead.