Why become a member? ×

Capacitors

NancyJohnson

I've owned a couple of Precision basses over the years, an old '79 Fender (gone) and a '78 Aria beater.

Both had been through a handful of pickup installations from the basic (bypass tone and wire into the jack) to 18v EMG pickup set.

I've just put a Delano in the Aria and while it does sound lively, I've been giving some thought to the tone pot capacitor option. Will changing the capacitor do much to change the feel or better the overall tone of the pickup?

If so, recommendations?

Sometimes I kind of have these ideas in my head that just seem to make sense to me and when I try to quantify things, it doesn't really come out right. It's a curse.

Let's assume the tonal range of my bass is represented on a scale 1-10, with 1 being the bass side and 10 being treble/full open. If I roll the tone back halfway, theoretically I should just be hearing a range of 1-5 (with the lower frequencies intact), yes?

Now then, is it possible that the tone will alter (or bleed) across the entire frequency range, thus rather than above 1-5, I would get 3-5?

Hopefully, this makes some sense...I fully understand about treble cut, but the bass previously sounded less robust when I rolled off the tone.

Edited by NancyJohnson

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1487278280' post='3238652']
Are you asking if, by using a different size of capacitor, you might get something like a scooped sound?

I think the answer to this is "no"
[/quote]

+1
Basically you won't get a notch / scoop with a simple passive tone circuit.
Also the impedance seen by the pickup alters with the setting so that affects the sound itself.

One of my basses is fitted with a Kent Armstrong Tone Choke. In one position it gives a mid scoop, in the other, a mid bump. There is another switch that gives a shift in the points these occur. It's not as extreme as an active mid but very usable, and no batteries!
There's also a pot to dictate how much scoop/bump you hear.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1487277935' post='3238646']
is it possible that the tone will alter (or bleed) across the entire frequency range, thus rather than above 1-5, I would get 3-5?
[/quote]

I'm not sure I'm reading this correctly, but with the new Delano do you feel that the lows don't feel as robust when you roll the tone off (ie. you're losing freq 1-2)?