Why become a member? ×

Best pickup to accompany Fender Original 'P' Pickup

Guest MoJo

Hi,
Does anyone have any recommendations for the most suitable pickup to use with a Fender Original 'P' Precision pickup in a P/J configuration?

Thanks

Edited by MoJo

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with markdavid above. I used to have Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders in my PJ. The output of these pick ups are high but the rear J pick up always seemed to be overpowered by the front P. I eventually swapped the QP P for a SPB-1. Now I have a sweeter tone from the P pick up, and I can blend in plenty of the QP J pick up. This combination works for me.

I gave up trying to make the Jazz bass pickup on my P/J sound less like a guitar and fitted a Duncan Musicman humbucker in its place. It did require routing but it gives me a useable alternative sound, which none of the Jazz bass pickups I tried did. The memory is fading a bit now, but I had to wire it in series (I think) because its output was too low in parallel to keep up with the P-bass pickup.

I've never looked back. At the flick of a switch, I now have a P-bass or a Musicman sound, or a mixture of both.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='ratman' timestamp='1488878492' post='3252508']
I agree with markdavid above. I used to have Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders in my PJ. The output of these pick ups are high but the rear J pick up always seemed to be overpowered by the front P. I eventually swapped the QP P for a SPB-1. Now I have a sweeter tone from the P pick up, and I can blend in plenty of the QP J pick up. This combination works for me.
[/quote]
I have the exact same pickup combo on my Squier Jaguar , the SJB-3 Quarterpound jazz works well with the SPB-1 P bass pickup, the volumes actually sound really well balanced and the tone is awesome.
That being said with this pickup combo I pretty much have both pickups on full all of the time, the SPB-1 imo is a bit blah by itself, a bit too smooth and lacking the low mid growl that i associate with a good p pickup