Why become a member? ×

Hofner Pickup String Balance Problem.... Fix

spyder

After a month with my Hofner HCT Club bass I noticed the A and D strings were quieter than the E and G due to the pickup being flat and the strings followed the contour of the neck.
I know this is not unusual as the Jazz pickup also has this problem.
In the past I've got around this on Jazz basses by buying pickups with raised A and D pole pieces.
The Hofner pickup has four screws that can be undone to raise them nearer the strings...

[attachment=238286:pickup.jpg]

Because the screws are a very loose fit they tend to vibrate and cause a rattle or undo themselves due to the lack of tightness.
After checking out a few threads on TalkBass some have added washers between the screws of the A and D strings but they complained it looked wrong and the washer size was hard to get.
Last night while checking through a box of guitar bits I came across these...

[attachment=238285:moT3zlO4zEz_jZ2-4mY6a8w.jpg]

Guitar pickup springs.

I cut them down so they were only FIVE rings in length. Removed the A and D screws. Popped the springs over the screws and refitted them to the pickup.
Now I have neat looking raised A and D pole pieces that provide an equal output to the E and G strings.

Sounds much more natural than using a compressor to balance the sound.

Hope this helps fellow Hofner bass users.