Why become a member? ×

Number #3 in the series...why buy a roadworn bass??

BaggyMan

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1487337978' post='3239109']

Coke is corrosive and has an effect on the container. Does this argument carry weight in relation to the paint on a bass?
[/quote]

The guy prefers the coke from the can, apparently it tastes better.

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1487311799' post='3238798']
This reminds me what someone once has said to me. Coke taste better out of a can than out of a bottle.
[/quote]

and they were right, assuming they meant a plastic bottle. Glass bottle is far superior for Coke flavour...

:)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1487440544' post='3239852']

and they were right, assuming they meant a plastic bottle. Glass bottle is far superior for Coke flavour...

:)
[/quote]

So if i poured out coke from a can a plastic bottle and a glass bottle you would tell the difference.

Edited by SH73

Staff member in Guitarguitar recently held up a roadworn bass and I said "oh is that secondhand"... "No it's new.." (short pause and puzzled look from me until my brain cells caught up with the situation). Personally, it's not for me - at all. It seems fake somehow. And I know there are some on the market that are marked in exactly the same way as some famous player's bass. Be yourself I say! However, very much my opinion and I can see why others may like these basses. I don't judge anyone for buying them. Each to their own!

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1487451907' post='3239970']
So if i poured out coke from a can a plastic bottle and a glass bottle you would tell the difference.
[/quote]

No doubt. I think I could pick the glass bottle one, and the 500ml plastic one apart. The can and the glass bottle are a lot closer. For that reason I only buy 500ml plastic when I have no other choice.

Yeah, I know... I find people who think it's preposterous, but also many others who feel the same way about there being a difference, although we may prefer different things: some really prefer the plastic bottle.
You can also tell differences between different countries' formulas. The Spanish one seems to lack flavour compared to the British which seems sweeter and more flavourful (perhaps it's just sweeter and that gives the impression of more flavour), the US one seems to have some more almost 'cinnamomy' aroma...
I thought it was just my memory playing tricks, but I got to travel enough to believe in the differences, and then I found there's a Coke museum in Atlanta I believe where you can taste different formulations from all over the world... so it must be real. I haven't been there yet.

As for the container... I really don't know what it is. I noticed it many years ago, and it's not that it changes entirely the flavour, but there is 'something'. When given a choice I always go for the glass bottle. The 500ml plastic bottle seems to taste a little different. I can't describe it, it's a slightly sweeter flavour but it's not just that. Then I don't really feel that on a 2 litre bottle. Is it the same plastic? Is it because of the larger bottle-surface / liquid ratio in the smaller bottle? I do not know. Is the formula perhaps slightly different for the plastic bottles, perhaps, related to the stability in contact with the plastic? Does exposure to light change something? The glass bottles will stop UV while the plastic won't... I don't have a clue what it is, but there is a difference.

But then, I don't really feel a particular flavour in bottled water... is that different plastics? Or I just haven't compared? I mean, different waters taste very different but how much is it the container and how much the actual water differences? I never had a glass/can/plastic side by side comparison with water.

Some people even claim diet coke and standard taste the same, or coke zero and standard (which are a lot closer)... those will not clearly not distinguish the differences I'm talking about. ;)

And why does the coke from the tap at a bar taste so completely different (and vile)? I used to think they just didn't use 'real' coke, until I worked at a bar myself and saw we bought the real thing. Is it really the same stuff used in their bottled stuff, or again are there differences to make it more stable in those particular conditions?

Life was a lot simpler when we didn't have choices! :lol:

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1487517166' post='3240383']

No doubt. I think I could pick the glass bottle one, and the 500ml plastic one apart. The can and the glass bottle are a lot closer. For that reason I only buy 500ml plastic when I have no other choice.

Yeah, I know... I find people who think it's preposterous, but also many others who feel the same way about there being a difference, although we may prefer different things: some really prefer the plastic bottle.
You can also tell differences between different countries' formulas. The Spanish one seems to lack flavour compared to the British which seems sweeter and more flavourful (perhaps it's just sweeter and that gives the impression of more flavour), the US one seems to have some more almost 'cinnamomy' aroma...
I thought it was just my memory playing tricks, but I got to travel enough to believe in the differences, and then I found there's a Coke museum in Atlanta I believe where you can taste different formulations from all over the world... so it must be real. I haven't been there yet.

As for the container... I really don't know what it is. I noticed it many years ago, and it's not that it changes entirely the flavour, but there is 'something'. When given a choice I always go for the glass bottle. The 500ml plastic bottle seems to taste a little different. I can't describe it, it's a slightly sweeter flavour but it's not just that. Then I don't really feel that on a 2 litre bottle. Is it the same plastic? Is it because of the larger bottle-surface / liquid ratio in the smaller bottle? I do not know. Is the formula perhaps slightly different for the plastic bottles, perhaps, related to the stability in contact with the plastic? Does exposure to light change something? The glass bottles will stop UV while the plastic won't... I don't have a clue what it is, but there is a difference.

But then, I don't really feel a particular flavour in bottled water... is that different plastics? Or I just haven't compared? I mean, different waters taste very different but how much is it the container and how much the actual water differences? I never had a glass/can/plastic side by side comparison with water.

Some people even claim diet coke and standard taste the same, or coke zero and standard (which are a lot closer)... those will not clearly not distinguish the differences I'm talking about. ;)

And why does the coke from the tap at a bar taste so completely different (and vile)? I used to think they just didn't use 'real' coke, until I worked at a bar myself and saw we bought the real thing. Is it really the same stuff used in their bottled stuff, or again are there differences to make it more stable in those particular conditions?

[/quote]
I need to get a bag of popcorn before I read this :-)

We could make it about Guinness from a can, Guinness from a bottle, Guinness on draft and Guinness from a can and then 'excited' on that thing to make it froth a bit.

The best Guinness is the one from the old pipes where the iron leached in and you got your nutrients.
It was freshly made, but run through old pipes, does that make it roadworn....?!

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1487528265' post='3240486']
I need to get a bag of popcorn before I read this :-)
[/quote]

:lol:

well, I've booked cinema tickets for 9.10pm tonight so I might just do that with some tap coke... I might just ask them to surprise me and give me one of zero/diet/regular an see if I guess correctly :P

So far as out the tap, don't have the Guinness at the Bierkeller in Bristol, it tastes of cider, I don't know what's gone on in those taps....

There is a widget of sorts, then they 'excite' the particles after pouring from the can by placing on some vibratory electrical current thing, first time I had this I was mortified and it was not great.

Bit of trivia, approx 32 pints of Guinness a day gives all the vitamins and nutrients one needs rendering food optional...

I really really like relics, especially if they have parts like underside of the upper horn that no one can quite believe would relic naturally

Phew - NOW we are back on track

Has any of the naysayers thought that maybe the grain would pop the paint there (and in other non obvious places ) through expansion and contraction, rather than wear ? Adam Claytons 73 P has paint loss there on that horn

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1487517166' post='3240383']

[/quote]

Whod have thought 50 ish lines of Coke would be so long winded and uneventful.

Edited by Harryburke14