Why become a member? ×

Bands you adore that no one else has ever heard of...

TrevorR

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1487277223' post='3238635']
.....prog-metallers Threshold (tho Rich did give them a fantasy band shout out just now...). I'll add a video by each in the next post in case anyone's interested in checking them out.
[/quote]

Richard the keyboard player from Threshold added some piano to one of my favourite albums written by two dear friends of mine: In The Head Of A Maniac by Audioplastik.

I highly recommend purchasing that one. The second album is going to be awesome!

There's a couple of albums, well, an album and an EP that I played on that I really like, but the group isn't known over on these shores.

The album, The Book Of Gates is by the band EON and there's an EP bonus disc which is really cool too especially as it has some truly incredible musicians on board. Gavin Harrison, John Macaluso, (me lol) Russell Allen, Amanda Somerville, Kevin Moore, the amazing talents of Elia Monsef and Danny Bou-Maron. Amadeus Awad heads up the project and demonstrates some world class guitar playing.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1487291172' post='3238765']

Richard the keyboard player from Threshold added some piano to one of my favourite albums written by two dear friends of mine: In The Head Of A Maniac by Audioplastik.

I highly recommend purchasing that one. The second album is going to be awesome!
[/quote]

Who else is in Audioplastik? I remember seeing it advertised as a side project of someone I liked, but can't remember who, and had completely forgotten about it until now.

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1487277223' post='3238635']
I was sorting out some MP3s for the car and so browsing through my iTunes folder. Looking at the bands I love there were a few which are well known choices... Lizzy, Rush, ELO, Incognito, James Taylor... However it struck my that a very high proportion of my fave bands are ones to which even most music fans might go, "Huh? Who?". Now it's not that my tastes are exclusively limited to the Guatemalan nose flute or something. These are all pretty much bands which have had hit UK albums and singles over the last forty years or so. OK they may be located on a more obscure corner than Kylie, Status Quo or R.E.M. But still it's a surprise so few folks seem to have heard of them.

Even here, where a more discerning level of music fanhood seems to be de rigueur ive only ever seen a few mentioned in conversation once or twice. Are there bands that you've long adored that you're surprised don't have a wider appeal or recognition factor? Would be interested to know who is on your list.

The ones that stood out for me were seminal Irish folk rock band, Horslips, short lived 90s jangle poppers, River City People, folk/prog virtuoso, Gordon Giltrap, Celtic-fusion band, Iona, and prog-metallers Threshold (tho Rich did give them a fantasy band shout out just now...). I'll add a video by each in the next post in case anyone's interested in checking them out.
[/quote]

Trouble with a capital T is my favourite song in our set. Great band and a great bass line!

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1487283252' post='3238710']
I was a big fan of The Truth in the early 80's. They rose from the ashes of Nine Below Zero after their split.
They never really made it that big, although they did get on Top Of The Pops with this. Any one recall it?
[/quote]
Recall it? Used to be in a band at school with the drummer 😊

Quote from Billy Apple - They're all on my record player, but you've forgot Argy Bargy!

Yes you`re right Sean,did indeed, hope Watford Jon doesn`t hear about this, he`ll be most upset. Yep, Argy Bargy are awesome, Hopes, Dreams, Lies & Schemes is a great album, another that doen`t leave the car.

From the 80s there are quite a few fine post punk bands who never made the grade while U2, The Cure, Joy Division and others made it . Top of the pile - House of Love, Comsat Angels, The Sound, The Chameleons, Wall of Voodoo, The Woodentops and the funkier Shriekback.
Funkwise there are a good number of fine but obscure bands I 100% recommend to funk brothers everywhere like Chocolate Milk, Black Heat, The Kaygees, Ripple and Sound Experience.
I'm a massive fan of 90s 00's electronica and while the likes of the Prodigy, Daft Punk and Chemical Bros have done pretty well there are the better but less known Fluke, Finitribe, Crystal Method, Amon Tobin, F*** Buttons, The Field, Mouse on Mars...

Certainly not [i]un[/i]known but a lesser known firm favourite of mine was a 70's band called Big Star. 3 albums released - #1 record, Radio City, 3rd album/Sister Lovers. Also been known to have a huge influence on such bands as The Posies, Teenage Fanclub and many more....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Star

Edited by LewisK1975

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1487278951' post='3238658']
My current fave bands are Booze & Glory, The Last Resort and The Old Firm Casuals but I`d be pretty sure not many know much about any of them.
[/quote]

Cool, I wasn't expecting to see those names pop up when I clicked on this! I'm playing with a band at the moment that are going over to Germany in April to do a little tour... and one of the dates is support to Booze & Glory... and the other guys in the band played with Old Firm Casuals, last year I think. That was the moment I started to take their Oi band seriously... "You're playing with Lars from Rancid?... Nice"

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1487322987' post='3238881']
Which of your bands is doing that? We did a mini-tour of Germany last year was great. We`re also supporting Booze & Glory for 3 nights of their tour in April, namely Bristol, London & Derby.
[/quote]

Nice, yeah hopefully it'll be cool, I've never played outside of the UK! Hard Wax is the band I'll be playing bass with. It's a very new thing, just being put together as we speak, for these gigs to promote the album (that's on it's way...). Arch Rivals is the main band the rest of them are in (not me) and then I'm drumming in a band called Hostile Minds (which again is most of Arch Rivals) who are only playing one date I think, at Tegelen. Gonna be a busy week!

[quote name='grahamd' timestamp='1487280730' post='3238676']
Cardiacs

[media]http://youtu.be/sUNKO9QQ2Co[/media]
[/quote]

+ Approx one million. Massive bonus that they decided to record this before Bic left the band.

Also a big fan of Levitation / Dark Star (only one LP alas, but Bic, however briefly, finally got his own spotlight). Tremendous bass playing from Lawrence O'Keefe too.

I know that at least one other person on this forum know of this band, Sharko will always be one of my favourites.

I had the good fortune to be at this gig too!
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZf-mCGgLVk[/MEDIA]

Edited by DrBike

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1487316827' post='3238820']

Trouble with a capital T is my favourite song in our set. Great band and a great bass line!
[/quote]

Your band plays Trouble With A Capital T? #deadjealous Also one of my top three or four fave Horslips tunes! You need to lobby to get The Power And The Glory added to the set too!

Never had occasion to play a single Horslips tune live :(

Edited by TrevorR