Why become a member? ×

Nq-NBD - LeFay Pangton

kumimajava

Not quite an NBD, since the bass has been with me for a month or so, but due to work and general busyness, only got my lazy bones to post something now.

A bit of a bittersweet story with this one :) I bought my first bass back in November, second-hand from Ishibashi (Warwick thumb). Sadly, there were some issues with the neck on the Thumb, so back it went for a service. Prior to taking the Warwick back, I also bought a cheap 5-string Aria Pro, to see how a fiver would feel, and also to have something to practice on while the Warwick was away. Turns out 5 strings felt quite natural...

So, on my way home from taking the Warwick back, I dropped by the main branch of Ishibashi, and saw this thing on a rack.
[attachment=238317:16129213_10157916323260315_645071499_o.jpg]

The all-wenge body looked great, but boy is it heavy. This older Pangton shape is fatter & more bulbous than the current one - that really is a LOT of wenge!

Sat down with it for a quick and incompetent fumble across the fretboard - and the shape actually feels thoroughly comfy. The neck is rather flat, but also somewhat asymmetric. The fret-ends finish a about half a mm before the edge of the fingerboard, and are completely rounded. Haven't seen this before, but the feel is excellent - no fret-bite (is that a word?) at all.

So home it came, and now I'm trying to tame it a bit. The 35.5" scale length feels a bit of a stretch compared to the 34" i'd had before, but I'm sure I'll get it to behave eventually. Still a complete beginner here, so hard to say why, but despite the longer scale-lenght and heavier weight, it feels a lot easier to play than the Aria. Same string spacing, etc, and trying the same patterns/exercises, everything comes out cleaner on the LeFay.

Electronics-wise, two humbuckers, and a volume-volume-filter (?) setup. The little red light comes on when it's plugged in. Nothing fancy, but sounds good to me so far.

[attachment=238318:16121896_10157916323295315_1098289789_o.jpg]

The serial number is in the 20s, which makes it one of the very early models (1992/3 ish?). I've emailed Rainer at LeFay for more info, but haven't heard back yet.

Not sure what else to say - as always, and NBD is a happy day :)

Edited by kumimajava