Why become a member? ×

Squier VM P bass 5 upgrade path?

lownote

Just bought one. Like many aspects of it but find the pickups quiet, muddy and boomy. And cheap and jangly sounding with the tone control anywhere but off. Can anyone who has done a successful upgrade of this bass recommend ideas. A KiOgon loom is probably a given, but which pickup? I like the Tonerider very much but they don't do a 5 string version.

Edited by lownote12

I've got a Fender with a Bill Lawrence p-bass pup in it and a Babitz bridge. It's the most (only) un-muddy Fender I've ever had.

But how muddy is it? Dead strings muddy? Tone off muddy?

Also, have you checked how tight the pocket is? A floppy pocket or badly fitted neck won't help either.

Brand new strings. Pocket fit is no Sire but I've seen worse. Difficult to describe. With my Toneriders in my other p bass I just get great 3 d sound. With this one I'm constantly fiddling with knobs but never get quality sound. And turning the tone knob up off 0 is hopeless, it just gets brassy and I dunno, cheap. I want deep chocolate thump.

Edited by lownote12

I think one of Jon's looms is a given. There are a few pickup options, but check that you don't get the ones that are the same length for each 'half' e.g. the Aguilar ones.

Talkbass thread here:
https://www.talkbass.com/threads/replacement-pickups-for-fender-5-string-precision.887726/

There's some stuff in this thread too:
https://www.talkbass.com/threads/squier-vintage-modified-precision-v-whos-got-one.1011452/

Not sure what's new on the market, but when I had my Shuker built (2011) there was very limited availability for 5 string P pickups. Went with Nordstrand which I think is fabulous. Quick Google shows there does seem to be a bit more choice now, but certainly put the Nordstrand on your list.

I've been thinking about putting a Delano in mine for a while (can't remember the model but it's the one with the chunky MM style pole pieces) but that's because I'm after a more aggressive sound. Trouble is it would require some routing to fit as the shells are equal sized which has held me off so far in case it turns out not to sound how I want.
I did install a simple active circuit in mine (with KiOgon's help) - an old Dan Armstrong Yellow Humper - which really helped for me but obviously not what everyone would want from a P bass.
I have heard a couple of positive reports from people who have put the Nordstrands in theirs though and did have a chat with 'Bass is the place' about his. Could be worth a PM to him?

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Muddy and boomy, I thought that was the main reason for buying a P bass. :lol: Im kidding.....[/font][/color]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]I used to have one of these and I have to say I found it very similar tone wise to every other P bass I have had. As mentioned new wiring will probably help, but I did a huge amount of reading on Talkbass about these and the upgrades people have done and the consensus seemed to be that a pickup change made little difference.[/color][/font]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]One chap had some Nordstrands made in casings to fit the Squier and said they made very little difference, the Nordstrand wasn't worth the upgrade cost. I put Elixirs on mine over the stock ones and that helped me loads but then I realised for the third time that I just don't like the sound of P-Basses.[/color][/font]

Thanks pup peeps for all the ideas. It would seem the Nordstrand is the only straightforward plug and play solution. But £130? Man that's a lot of money. Oil City Pickups have offered to make me a bespoke one to my exact spec for the same money, only they need my originals to copy the shape. Having seen and heard a rather excellent vid of the stock pup being played

https://youtu.be/3Qpu8-Y-BUc

I'm holding off doing anything until I trial a KiOgon loom, hopefully today.

Edited by lownote12

Changing the pots and capacitor should make no difference to the sound.

If the cap is a different value it will make a difference to how the tone operates.

If the new pots are linear, as opposed to the log one's this too will change the feel in the operation.

If the sound changes it will be because you have changed the set up when taking it apart to do the work.

Well, you know, Rich, even though I concede to you totally when it comes to knowing about Higgs bosons or juju or whatever goes round in wires, fitting the KiOgon loom did make a difference. Overall it's a cleaner sound and most obviously of all the cheap and nasty twangy top end is now a dignified subtle treble. Bottom end ain't wonderful, still a bit blurred and boomy/thuddy, not 3D and crisp and focused and all that. But I'm used to my Sire, which is awesome, and my other P bass is on flats so I'm not used to roundwounds on a P bass. And I'm in a raucous blues band, not a refained solo artist. So I've decided I'm not spending £130 on a Nordstrand or Oil City for a possible improvement, I'll just wait until a serendipitous buy comes my way maybe.

Edited by lownote12

[quote name='lownote12' timestamp='1487424259' post='3239700']
Well, you know, Rich, even though I concede to you totally when it comes to knowing about Higgs bosons or juju or whatever goes round in wires, fitting the KiOgon loom did make a difference. Overall it's a cleaner sound and most obviously of all the cheap and nasty twangy top end is now a dignified subtle treble. Bottom end ain't wonderful, still a bit blurred and boomy/thuddy, not 3D and crisp and focused and all that. But I'm used to my Sire, which is awesome, and my other P bass is on flats so I'm not used to roundwounds on a P bass. And I'm in a raucous blues band, not a refained solo artist. So I've decided I'm not spending £130 on a Nordstrand or Oil City for a possible improvement, I'll just wait until a serendipitous buy comes my way maybe.
[/quote]

Same here. I fitted a Kiogon loom and new jack etc and there was a noticeable difference. It just sounded 'fuller' and yes the tone pot now seems to give more of a difference between full on to full off.

I too am still pondering whether to swap the pick up or not. I'm after the Custom Shop '62 sound that I have fitted in my MIJ 4 string P. The rewinding path sounds an interesting option.

Edited by Deedee

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1487591846' post='3240927']
^ From the YT video description..

"Just fitted [b]Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounds [/b]pickups and a Fender Hi-mass bridge to my Squier VM 5 P-Bass. Strung it with flat wounds.."
[/quote]

Ive just bought some quarterpounders off here to go on my Squier VM p bass with chromes so glad to read this. Although mine is a 4 string.

[quote name='lownote12' timestamp='1487316601' post='3238816']
Brand new strings. Pocket fit is no Sire but I've seen worse. Difficult to describe. With my Toneriders in my other p bass I just get great 3 d sound. With this one I'm constantly fiddling with knobs but never get quality sound. And turning the tone knob up off 0 is hopeless, it just gets brassy and I dunno, cheap. I want deep chocolate thump.
[/quote]
How do the acoustic tones of the two compare? Could give you a clue as to just how good this particular VM could become.
If it sounds dead when unplugged, the best electronics can only amplify that.

^ I understand the desire to change out stuff on a £250 bass and as previously stated I've done it myself. On this bass the only thing that I don't like on this bass is the bridge which I may change for a Sandberg - not so much for the high mass, but more I just like that design.

For the money didn't know what to expect, but I'm delighted with mine and it brings a stupid smile to my face when I play it.

<Edit>
Ref how did it sound up-pugged? - this is a point of note, I knew from the moment I was unboxed that this bass would sound good.

Edited by No lust in Jazz

I put a Wilkinson Vintage bridge on mine. A lot more substantial than the BBOT that is standard. Changed pots for CTS, jack for Switchcraft and wiring to some vintage cloth covered I had around.Set of flats on and "jobs a good un".
Really pleased with the outcome and find the stock pick-up to be pretty good.