Why become a member? ×

Chelsea Dagger thread #284675

Pow_22

.[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Ive been after a reasonably close bass sound to the tone Baz Fratelli gets on Chelsea Dagger for a while and been through numerous fuzz/distortion/overdrive pedals and all have failed.[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]As per the link its fuzzy but still thumpy and reasonably tight. [/color][/size][size="3"][color="#000000"]I certainly think in the studio they have taken a clean feed and a fuzzy feed and dubbed them on the album track so I know im not going to get the EXACT tone but im looking to get as close as poss.[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Ive tried an old Bubble Font Muff that got close-ish but it lacked the thump/bass. [/color][/size][size="3"][color="#000000"]The Big Bass Muff isn’t bright enough, an Ibanez PD7 was too sludgey, a Boss BD2 was awesome but again lacked the thump. I play through an Ampeg valve amp so also tried an LPB1 boost pedal to try and overdrive the amp but it wasn’t fuzzy enough (awesome valvey beef tho!).[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]I’m playing a P bass into an always-on DHA Bass Drive to beef up my sound then into the Ampeg V4BH into an Ampeg 410he. [/color][/size][size="3"][color="#000000"]I get that my flatwounds wont help but I think that’s what Baz Fratelli uses anyway hence the underlying thump to the sound.[/color][/size][/font]
[url="https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjt5uPy9JbSAhUKOsAKHcQnAdsQtwIIITAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Df1x1ck2__IY&usg=AFQjCNFkLvs5sgJbtE8_BZgfbuHLy_rN7A&bvm=bv.147448319,d.ZGg"][font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#0000ff"]https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjt5uPy9JbSAhUKOsAKHcQnAdsQtwIIITAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Df1x1ck2__IY&usg=AFQjCNFkLvs5sgJbtE8_BZgfbuHLy_rN7A&bvm=bv.147448319,d.ZGg[/color][/size][/font][/url]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Any help with this is muchly appreciated as its driving me round the bend![/color][/size][/font]

I've just been given Chelsea Dagger to learn for a function in 2 weeks.

I've only ever heard this on the radio as background noise, so I listened to it properly yesterday. We are not the Fratellis so I plan to use the sound of a Mike Lull bass (fingers) into a TH500 amp into Barefaced 112 cabs, ie my sound. No help at all, I know, but that's it.

I had to play it for a dep gig i did a few months ago. I only tried to get a close sound using my own existing gear, i got in the ballpark with the B3K used at a mid/low drive setting with the blend favouring the clean signal. Was enough to get me by. That sound is made in the studio and a blend of different signals, there's some valve goodiness happening in that distortion that may be dificult to obtain in a live situation without specific bass/amp/pedals/processing/compression/etc.

In the past two years, I've gigged the song at least 50 times. No effects whatsoever - simply chose the P bass, cranked the gain a bit more than normal and pushed the low mids on the amp EQ. Unless you're a tribute band, that'll be absolutely fine. It's a party chant after all - audiences generally want to dance to it rather than listen closely to the bass tone!

• Like 1