Why become a member? ×

80's tone

krzysztof

mods please delete if not allowed or better yet please let me know where it could be discussed! [font=inherit][font=inherit][size=1]:)[/size][/font][/font] )
hi guys I'm joining an 80's based function band and sound and tone are quite crucial.
I Have a through neck 6 string that's rather hi fi sounding walnut body, quilt maple top and rosewood board and humbuckers. i also have an Ash/maple 5 string jazz with single coils.
A very brief history of my own understanding on the development of bass tone favoured and used by bass players/producers/bands:
-60's is your Abbey Road/Motown/Stax mutey souly/rocknroll meatnpotato bass playing etc Pbass and flats Jazz and flats.
-70's is more articulated funk with the rise in popularity of round wound strings, rise of slap/percussive playing as well as led zep/yes/punk type of piano like tone players after more grit. bass and rounds, jazz and rounds especially maple and ash.
I was born in the 90s so missed all those eras lol but from my recollection and watching a lot of reruns TOTP/youtube vids i've seen quite a few boutique basses such as ken smith/tobias/spector utilising neck through design that became popular in the 80s with the advent of non fender alternative 'boutique' basses.
- to me 80's seems more polished even cleaner hi fi, pop production, clean, articulate bass tones as well as the rise of more synthesised bass sounds
I have all my synth sounds sorted as i play keys too and have synths.
I know its a lot to read above,
I guess my question is there a general 80s bass sound that a certain type of bass would cater to? or just any old plank?
Thanks in advance guys!!

"Any old plank" supporter here.

Define [i]crucial[/i]. Nice to have, or must have?

Unless you're in a tribute band I don't believe you have to play a particular instrument. Your bass lines and how you play them are more important. I was playing in Blues and Soul bands in the 80's so what do I know, but my cover band of the last 15 years played a lot of 80's hits and I used my Mike Lull and US Lakland "planks" on every song. I'd play them in any band and any style.

Look at Pino in The Who and Jerry Barnes in Chic. Both sound fantastic, but neither play or sound anything like the original bass player. I'd be [i]you[/i] on any bass [i]you[/i] own.

I play in an 80s cover band and use a Ric 4003s and a Maruszczyk Elwood fretless through a Phil Jones rig and that works fine for me and have received compliments on the tone. I also add a bit of chorus and/or octave where required. I think you just have to avoid too much grit. YMMV.

The 80s spans a vast range of sounds and styles from Post-Punk, via Synth Pop, New Romantic, Indie Guitar all the way to Baggy/Madchester and Acid House. Which style/era(s) are you covering?

For early 80s pop you can't go far wrong with an Aria Pro II SB 1000 and a fretless Wal through a Trace Elliot amp.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1487352908' post='3239276']
For early 80s pop you can't go far wrong with an Aria Pro II SB 1000 and a fretless Wal through a Trace Elliot amp.
[/quote]

Pretty much covers it I'd say!

Although, for a truly authentic tone you should probably also get a mullet haircut.

[quote name='krzysztof' timestamp='1487331645' post='3239006']mods please delete if not allowed or better yet please let me know where it could be discussed! [font=inherit][font=inherit][size=1] :)[/size][/font][/font] ) [/quote]

I'm guessing we must have a reputation for being much stricter than we actually are!?!

As already stated the 80's had a whole load of genres & sounds..
I'd personally go for something twin pick-ups both on (could go 60/40 bridge pick-up) with a very healthy dose of compression & a touch of chorus.
That should cover the vast majority of it, but don't forget ya 'Mullet' & shoulder pads (with the sleeve's rolled up to your elbows?)..

Remember going into PCs venue on City Road Cardiff in the 80s and working out what sort of band would be on later from the bass set up.

Gibson whatever with a scruffy Marshall Stack = Rocky

Status ( or cheaper !) headless propped up in front of a Trace Elliot rig - 80's pop !

I really don't think you need to go and splash out on specific amps and pedals. Thats a kind of needless expenditure.

I recently played in a run of 'Rock of Ages' (80's musical) and my main tone was:

P-bass
Rotowounds - Pick stuff especially and sounds great with chorus and distortion
Chorus pedal - Aguilar chorusarus. But choose one that fits your budget
Boss BB1X - High tone turned up. But choose one that fits your budget
EQ on Aguilar head - Mid range boosted.

That's it. Adjust the tone and settings per song, but I wouldn't make this a massive excursion. Do what sounds right to you.