Why become a member? ×

Looking at a new amplifier, but I have a few choices:

Fisheth

[size=4]Looking at tube amps here, I'm not wanting something to replace my CTM100, far from it. I'm wanting something to basically compliment it.
[color=inherit]with the CTM 100, I've seen a few options but I'm not sure on any of them as I want some opinions first before I dive in.[/color]
[color=inherit]I will be running these potentially through an Ashdown Mag10 OR a Barefaced Super compact depending on stage space.[/color]

[color=inherit]Things I like with the CTM: [/color]

[color=inherit]Modern features,[/color]
[color=inherit]being able to bias my amp [/color]
[color=inherit]The [/color][color=inherit]tone[/color]
[color=inherit]lightweight for a valve head[/color]
cuts through my band mix well

[color=inherit]Things I don't like:[/color]

[color=inherit]EQ doesn't do much to it, even with the boost buttons[/color]
[color=inherit]would like something with less breakup with the clean setting[/color]
[color=inherit]generally want a cleaner sound, though I love this one[/color]

[color=inherit]Options that I have been looking at, [/color]

Orange AD200B, I've heard good things about these and I have been offered one, but I am concerned just about the weight and the general tone.
I once had a bass terror that I didn't like very much, not sure why. Was powerful, but lacked something. Is the AD200B similar?

Rift amplification "Deep Rift" been offered one of these, with a 410 cabinet. Seller say's it's based off a JCM800 bass amp crossed with a Hiwatt 200W amp.
No idea how it sounds, but that's the tone style it's going for. However, I think it's a bit much for something obscure (It's 1K with the 410) It[/size][size=3][size=4]is[/size][/size][size=4]local[/size][size=3][size=4],so[/size][/size][size=4] I can go and try it.

Stoneham YI200: Local builder, I believe there's a big thread on Basschat about it, looks like it's something I'm interested[/size][size=3][size=4]in,[/size][/size][size=4]however[/size][size=4]there's[/size][size=4] no clips of it anywhere.

Bass thread is here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/231938-npavad-new-no-longer-prototype-british-built-all-valve-amp-day/page__st__60"]http://basschat.co.u...ay/page__st__60[/url]

Thoughts, any possible contenders I'm missing?[/size]

Forgot to mention, my main band is a classic metal type outfit (Think Scorpions, Maiden, Helloween and Fastway and you're there) in case that changes anything in terms of tone.

Edit: Not wanting anything that needs 4ohms, want to keep it to a single cab.

Edited by Fisheth

I'd try the Stoneham and the Orange. Stoneham are near Silverlink and come across as very knowledgeable. He has one in his workshop ready to try...

I had an Orange about 25 year ago, played it through an old Peavey 8×10. My good friend still tells me it's the best sound I've ever had...

Recently tried the Orange with a Hartke 8x10 cab and it was probably my ideal tone. Deep warm lows with nice mid punch. The feeling of depth was quite amazing. However i did find that changing the EQ didn't have a huge effect on tone. It was a very old Orange amp tho and appeared to have a frequency control and a boost/cut rather than the standard AD200b model so not sure what model it was. ?
I have to say i love that Orange tone and have since bought the OBC115 cab with view to finally get the amp and a 10 or 12 cab but depend on cost at the time.
Had Matamp power amps years ago and they had similar tones.
Afraid i've never even heard of the others you mentione.

Dave

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1487410773' post='3239540']
If I were spending that kind of money on a tube amp it'd go on a matamp GT200. Their prices have just jumped up a bit but I still think they're the best in class.
[/quote]

They're essentially Orange amps aren't they?

............[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]They're essentially Orange amps aren't they? ............[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Don't let anyone near Meltham hear you say that (!)[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Matamp are pure rock 'n' roll (and their wattage is what they say it is).[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] :)[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1487424293' post='3239701']
............[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]They're essentially Orange amps aren't they? ............[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Don't let anyone near Meltham hear you say that (!)[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Matamp are pure rock 'n' roll (and their wattage is what they say it is).[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] :)[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]
[/quote]

Haha, good point.

I just always assumed Matamp were like Marshall are to Blackstar (Ex-engineers moving companies and all that)

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1487414500' post='3239593']
They're essentially Orange amps aren't they?
[/quote]

Absolutely not! Yes they've shared some history in the past but it wasn't just a transfer of workers & the current offerings from the two are completely different on the inside.

I'm waiting on a GT200 at the moment, I borrowed a nice 100w all valve amp a few months ago, tried it at practice, and couldn't hear it, so I bit the bullet and ordered the Matamp. Never played through on but I have heard one and it was something to behold.