Why become a member? ×

Does a 1U D class amp exist

nash

GK MB series, Markbass F1 or F500 and Demeter also do a 1u amp. Then of course there's a multitude of power amplifiers in the same format. Powersoft being one of the very best with truly astonishing output levels (real RMS not silly over Inflated marketing figures).

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1487419128' post='3239642']
GK MB series, Markbass F1 or F500 and Demeter also do a 1u amp. Then of course there's a multitude of power amplifiers in the same format. Powersoft being one of the very best with truly astonishing output levels (real RMS not silly over Inflated marketing figures).
[/quote]

But do they have hefty thumpiness? :lol:

The problem is with Class D, too many people hyped what it could dom and with names like Cool Amp and ICEPower. The legend lives on. ICE by the way is for Cool not In Car Entertainment as some continue to call it.

Although Class D runs MUCH cooler than class A/B, It does generate some heat . As a rule of thumb about 17% of the rated output is heat so for example a 100W amp will produce 17 watts of heat based on a true output figure and an average efficiency in both power amp and power supply of 90%.

A 500 watt amp will produce almost 100W of heat, the same as an incandescent 100W light bulb. Put that amount of heat into a small container and you could have trouble. Now here is the rub, the amount of heat generated is only partly the result of increased power output. There is a quiescent heat generated even at zero watts out. That quiescent heat depends on the design but is usually about 10-15% of output power so 50-75 watts at no output. So to keep heat under control, you need heatsinking and/or a fan or two.

Nowhere near as much as a class A/B amp but it is needed. In a 1U chassis there is restricted airflow so heatsinking does not work so well and 40mm fans do not shift a lot of air. Also fans are a lot less reliable than heatsinks, although a lot lighter. Then you have to fit the preamp and connectors in. [size=4]Going to 2U makes life simple and solves most of the problems and that is [/size]what[size=4] a lot of amps are [/size]about[size=4] 2U (88mm or about 3.5") high even if they are not 420mm(19") wide.[/size]

Edited by Chienmortbb

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1487419250' post='3239643']
But do they have hefty thumpiness? :lol:
[/quote]

[quote][color=#575756][font=HelveticaCondensed, Arial, sans-serif]The [/font][/color][b]K20[/b][color=#575756][font=HelveticaCondensed, Arial, sans-serif] impresses with up to [b]18,000 W[/b] in a single rack space, making it probably the most powerful amplifier at its size, and definitely the most powerful model within the K Series, the most advanced line of power amplifiers from Powersoft. [/font][/color][color=#575756][font=HelveticaCondensed, Arial, sans-serif]
[b]Ideal for subwoofers[/b] requiring relatively high continuous power and ample headroom, the K20 is the unique result of smart design, attention to sound quality, and extremely high efficiency with reliability, portability, and adaptability in mind.[/font][/color][color=#575756][font=HelveticaCondensed, Arial, sans-serif]
In use worldwide by leading touring and event sound companies, K Series is preferred among the top ranking system designers, sound engineers, and system techs on the road for making their lives easier, giving them reliable premier-grade power and headroom in the smallest possible package size.[/font][/color]
[color=#575756][font=HelveticaCondensed, Arial, sans-serif]Fully digitally controlled and with a serial PC communication port as standard, the K20 is also available with KDSP board and KAESOP Ethernet/AES3 interface: the [/font][/color][b]K20 DSP+AESOP[/b][color=#575756][font=HelveticaCondensed, Arial, sans-serif] amounts to a fully integrated, highly sophisticated yet easy to use power source including state-of-the-art sound shaping and system management capabilities, remotely controllable via Powersoft's [/font][/color][url="http://www.powersoft-audio.com/software/armonia-pro-audio-suite"]Armonía Pro Audio Suite™[/url][color=#575756][font=HelveticaCondensed, Arial, sans-serif] (Interface available for [/font][/color][url="http://www.powersoft-audio.com/software/plug-ins-nware"]MediaMatrix[/url][color=#575756][font=HelveticaCondensed, Arial, sans-serif], [/font][/color][url="http://www.powersoft-audio.com/software/macros-crestron"]Crestron[/url][color=#575756][font=HelveticaCondensed, Arial, sans-serif], [/font][/color][url="http://www.powersoft-audio.com/software/moduli-amx"]AMX,[/url][color=#575756][font=HelveticaCondensed, Arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][url="http://www.powersoft-audio.com/software/plug-ins-q-sys"]Q-SYS[/url][color=#575756][font=HelveticaCondensed, Arial, sans-serif] control and monitoring systems).[/font][/color][/quote]

Not so much "hefty thumpiness", more, well you know, a sort of "looking for body parts flung far and wide across the venue" type ability to move air.. :gas: :lol:

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1487443634' post='3239887']

Not so much "hefty thumpiness", more, well you know, a sort of "looking for body parts flung far and wide across the venue" type ability to move air.. :gas: :lol:
[/quote]

Nah, but they're not 18,000 good old British Valve or Trace watts ;)

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1487446064' post='3239908']
Nah, but they're not 18,000 good old British Valve or Trace watts ;)
[/quote]

Ha ha ha!!! Ahhh yes, those heady aromas of smoke filled venues where sweat condensation dripped back down on to our heads under hot lights and people went home with mild tinnitus after a night out. Those British Valve Watts... Now, where are my IEMs?

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1488064316' post='3245615']
I will take that as a no then. I am genuinely interested in whether this is a stupid idea or not.
[/quote]

It's not a stupid idea, and it's something I've looked into myself (I have a Connex amp module and SMPS that I picked up a couple of years ago waiting to be put to use). But to be really effective for bass amp use you would need to sort out cooling fans and some sort of limiter, and ideally an HPF on the input too. And the price works out at a point where you could pick up a fairly nice rack power amp secondhand.

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1488064316' post='3245615']
I will take that as a no then. I am genuinely interested in whether this is a stupid idea or not.
[/quote]

Alien did that for another BassChatter and the results were very good. It was a while ago and I've certainly thought about doing that with one of their latest gen amplifiers that from a geek perspective are ace!

Edited by dood

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1488065986' post='3245628']
It's not a stupid idea, and it's something I've looked into myself (I have a Connex amp module and SMPS that I picked up a couple of years ago waiting to be put to use). But to be really effective for bass amp use you would need to sort out cooling fans and some sort of limiter, and ideally an HPF on the input too. And the price works out at a point where you could pick up a fairly nice rack power amp secondhand.
[/quote]

Yeah, I guess that making it all up will tot up the price. They have some plate amps which come all set up. I have tried one on a BF FR and it certainly delivered.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1488104258' post='3245781']
Alien did that for another BassChatter and the results were very good. It was a while ago and I've certainly thought about doing that with one of their latest gen amplifiers that from a geek perspective are ace!
[/quote]

I remember that amp and it is what was kind of making me think out loud.

The Hypex PSC2.400 which features 4 fully programmable DSP memories are 275 Euros excl Vat. They are discontinued. Someone tell me why I should not do this.
[list]
[*]wo 400W UcD amplifiers
[*]Powered by SMPS400
[*]Four programmable presets
[*]Balanced audio input
[*]Balanced audio through loop
[*]Powercon power connection
[*]Two channel active filtering
[*]Fully user-configurable DSP filters
[*]Firmware update by USB
[/list]

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1488129903' post='3246117']
Yeah, I guess that making it all up will tot up the price. They have some plate amps which come all set up. I have tried one on a BF FR and it certainly delivered.

I remember that amp and it is what was kind of making me think out loud.

The Hypex PSC2.400 which features 4 fully programmable DSP memories are 275 Euros excl Vat. They are discontinued. Someone tell me why I should not do this.[list]
[*]wo 400W UcD amplifiers
[*]Powered by SMPS400
[*]Four programmable presets
[*]Balanced audio input
[*]Balanced audio through loop
[*]Powercon power connection
[*]Two channel active filtering
[*]Fully user-configurable DSP filters
[*]Firmware update by USB
[/list]
[/quote]
[quote name='owen' timestamp='1488130013' post='3246121']
[url="https://www.hypexshop.com/DetailServlet?detailID=3400"]https://www.hypexsho...t?detailID=3400[/url]
[/quote]

It's exactly where I'd go for an amplifier module. Or a Powersoft module for example.. The only reason why I haven't done it so far is due to the reasons above (BeerOfTheBass) that slightly (hugely) outweigh the likelihood of me making a dog's dinner of crafting an enclosure! I just don't have the right tools.

I do love the idea of onboard DSP though, especially when it can work in tandem with the speaker enclosure connected. The Bergantino B|Amp or Barefaced's FR800 powered cabinets are a good example of this.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1488135015' post='3246198']
It's exactly where I'd go for an amplifier module. Or a Powersoft module for example.. The only reason why I haven't done it so far is due to the reasons above (BeerOfTheBass) that slightly (hugely) outweigh the likelihood of me making a dog's dinner of crafting an enclosure! I just don't have the right tools.

I do love the idea of onboard DSP though, especially when it can work in tandem with the speaker enclosure connected. The Bergantino B|Amp or Barefaced's FR800 powered cabinets are a good example of this.
[/quote]

Check ur PMs :)