Why become a member? ×

Has anybody tried bronze strings on an electric bass?

TheGreek

Slightly related to the topic, 'the other way round', has anyone tried the Nickel Bronze Acoustic Guitar strings from D'Addario?

These:

http://daddario.com/DADProductFamily.Page?ActiveID=3768&familyid=150

I've got them on my Faith acoustic here. They are (of course) Nickel outer wrap rather than the all familiar Bronze acoustic strings. I gotta say, I *really* like them.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1487443612' post='3239886']
Very low output due to the metals used, sounds sh*te.
Having said that, D'addario used to make a copperwound electric bass string in the early 80's that looked & sounded really good, but they didn't sell so they were discontinued
[/quote]
I had a set of those. . As you say , looked and sounded great. Felt quite sticky to my fingers, so I never revisited them.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1487441482' post='3239862']
I like the look of bronze strings and was wondering why they're not used on electric basses....
[/quote]

Try Optima Gold strings. I had some on my fretless, they sounded really nice.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1487443898' post='3239888']
Slightly related to the topic, 'the other way round', has anyone tried the Nickel Bronze Acoustic Guitar strings from D'Addario?

These:

I've got them on my Faith acoustic here. They are (of course) Nickel outer wrap rather than the all familiar Bronze acoustic strings. I gotta say, I *really* like them.
[/quote]
Do you know if they work well with the pickups on electro acoustics? I have been after some decent strings for mine.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1487446996' post='3239920']
Do you know if they work well with the pickups on electro acoustics? I have been after some decent strings for mine.
[/quote]

Yes, mine is an electro with a Fishman system. I'd expect it to anyway as piezo pickups work on vibration rather than the material that the string is made from.

I put a set of phozzy-bronzes on my old Peavey for a while just to use them up as I'd sold my acoustic. Sounded bright as ferk! Other than that they won't last long and your fingers will go green.

Good enough for The Ox, mind!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dlN55SoF4Q

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1487443898' post='3239888']

These:

[/quote]
[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1487448187' post='3239929']
I've tried regular electric strings on an electro acoustic and they sound far too bright
[/quote]

I've often wondered about this. I've always used bronze or phosphor bronze strings on an acoustic bass for either acoustic or piezo pickup playing. This has been on the basis that I've known a few acoustic guitar players who have used steel or nickel strings on their 6string acoustics and they have without exception sounded absolutely awful either acoustically or electrically.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1487566788' post='3240763']
LaBella do a copper tapewound set. Got them on my Thumb. They did 'oxidise' a bit at the nut end though so I now have a copper/green effect :(

[attachment=238564:IMG_4852.JPG]
[/quote]

Verdigris? Wow. I bet hipsters are queueing up to order this as an "instant" patina/relic effect.

Do you get admiring glances from dodgy looking men with beards?

Edited by SpondonBassed

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1487533305' post='3240577']
I've often wondered about this. I've always used bronze or phosphor bronze strings on an acoustic bass for either acoustic or piezo pickup playing. This has been on the basis that I've known a few acoustic guitar players who have used steel or nickel strings on their 6string acoustics and they have without exception sounded absolutely awful either acoustically or electrically.
[/quote]

It seems that enough people wanted them that D'Addario managed to find a way to make that happen without the issues associated with using 'normal electric strings'.