Why become a member? ×

Battery Pedalboards and Digital Noise

Woodinblack

I bought a Rockboard by Warwick Power XL Lt for my pedalboard this week from Gear4Music (good service, came fast).

I did the pedalboard, not because I had so many effects but I wanted to use the 12 step and the voice live, so I want to keep them together.
I just currently use a Zoom B3, but I also use a smoothhound wireless. I had a problem with these two before, in fact I have had a problem with anything with the B3, as it produces a lot of digital noise. I got round this before by using the Harley Benton Powerplant Jr, which is isolated and completely solved the problem.

On the specs of the Rockboard it says it has two channels that are isolated, and sure enough it does have 2 channels, so I plugged the voicelive and zoom in one and the wireless in the other. Sadly loads of digital noise. Took the voicelive out just in case, but no luck. Disconnected the B3 and ran it from its batteries and sure enough, goes quiet.

So I might have a word with the makers to mention that the outputs dont seem very isolated!

Anyway, posted this in case anyone was thinking of getting one for that reason. I will be gigging it tonight so se how it goes!

If you read the description on the gear4music site it doesn't mention isolated at all - just separate outputs

i wouldn't bother mentioning it to the makers, nothing will come of it - the product will be a generic Chinese product bought in the thousands on price by Warwick. It hits a pricepoint for them and and i doubt they have much design input.

If its not floating your boat just send it back if its within the returns window

Edited by Mudpup

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1487507982' post='3240269']
It also died completely after a couple of hours into the set, so I don't think it is up to the job. Don't know if I can send it back now though as it is obviously used. I think I will stick with the mains!
[/quote]

with the zoom drawing 500 ma im guessing its the draw that reduced the overall time it worked for not that the product is bad, i think for a board of analogue low ma stuff it would be fine but im guessing the helicon draws quite a lot aswell.

I think the zoom actually takes 300ma, and the battery is 6600 maH, so in theory it should be 22 hours. With the helicon and smoothhound it should be still at least 8 hours, we set up at 8, finished at 1, should be more than enough time.

I think I need to work out what the actual consumption is

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1487515597' post='3240365']
I think the zoom actually takes 300ma, and the battery is 6600 maH, so in theory it should be 22 hours. With the helicon and smoothhound it should be still at least 8 hours, we set up at 8, finished at 1, should be more than enough time.

I think I need to work out what the actual consumption is
[/quote]

i would as im thinking thats the issue as it, or just grab a second if your really after having no leads and have one for each pedal.

probs easier tbh tho to grab a decent power supply as would overall cost about the same.