Why become a member? ×

Will a 800w head work safely with a 800w cab?

Greg.Bassman

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color="#000000"]Hi all. One for all the technical folks on here. Will a 800w bass head work safely with a 800w cab? [/color][color="#000000"]I’ve always assumed that the head should never exceed the cabs power handling- but what happens if they are both the same power?[/color][/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] [/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color="#000000"]Basically, I[/color][color="#000000"]’m looking to pair the Markbass LM800 head with the Markbass NY122 cab (4 Ohm), bother 800w RMS. [/color][color="#000000"]I have seen a few players on youtube using the LM800/NY122 setup (including jazz heavyweight Richard Bona himself)[/color][color="#000000"], [/color][color="#000000"]so this is definitely assuring. But I just wanted to swing it past everyone here on basschat first? [/color][/font][/size]

Cheers.

[quote name='Greg.Bassman' timestamp='1487447995' post='3239927']
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]what happens if they are both the same power?[/color][/font][/size][/quote]The end of civilization as we know it. :huh:

The actual preferred range for amp to cab power is anywhere between 1:2 and 2:1.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1487452293' post='3239977']
The end of civilization as we know it. :huh:

The actual preferred range for amp to cab power is anywhere between 1:2 and 2:1.
[/quote]

Indeed, the best protections mechanism for your gear is common sense including exercising some restraint in the use of low QE boost.