Why become a member? ×

SCAMMER! Avoid Gearmans!!!

Clarky72

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1487590739' post='3240918']
is there nothing we can do to help this guy Mateusz thats just been scammed? Surely that's more important than telling off fellow BCers for inappropriate comments?
[/quote]

Not as easy as you imply I imagine. My son got scammed on a different site and trying to find where the so and so lives or get further replies was a waste of time.
Ped on the other hand owns this site and get easily ( and quite correctly) sanction anyone that questions his sensibilities.

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1487590739' post='3240918']

is there nothing we can do to help this guy Mateusz thats just been scammed? Surely that's more important than telling off fellow BCers for inappropriate comments?
[/quote]

And others making really stupid jokes.

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1487594605' post='3240983']
Dyerseve - there's a difference between inappropriate comments and trolling or making thinly guarded accusations.
[/quote]

No doubt. But if there's nothing to hide then why not just say 'we cant ban because of x, y or z'. If you are running a forum where members are handing over their hard-earned to access certain areas of the forum then you need to be prepared for a certain degree of transparency IMO.

Er... Mateusz made his BC account yesterday and within two hours wrote his first post in this thread. How can he have been scammed by the Germans in the mean time?
I ask you...
I mean everybody knows the Germans are meticulous, and would never take just one hour to scam people. :D

Seriously though, i feel it's safe to assume the Mateusz account was made as some sort of a joke or scam.
I for one don't believe for one second that what is said really happened, and would rather believe the "Mateusz" account to be a new account for the Gearmans character or a friend - for example.

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1487596455' post='3241003']
you need to be prepared for a certain degree of transparency IMO.
[/quote]

Transparency is good, and I'm all for it, BUT this is a forum where everybody can be expected to have strong opinions about every aspect, as evidenced in the past - especially when the fee was installed.
Transparency soon becomes a Weapon of Mass Forum Death - so to speak hyperbolically.
My old firm f.x. was extremely transparent, but its own forum was totally not. Practical reasons as well as principles.

Ok if you really must know!

There are two options. One is to flag as a spammer. This stops the user posting anything including PMs. It's a one click solution but doesn't move the member to the 'banned' user group which just changes the name under their avatar. I sometimes use this if I want to look into a user more thoroughly later on but stop them using the site immediately.

The second option is to 'ban' the user, which means one of two things. One is to essentially do exactly as it says above, but manually. The last step of the manual process moves them to the banned group but otherwise just a long winded way of doing the same thing. I can't do it easily from my iPad or phone.

Occasionally I'll ban a user from posting and allow them to PM if I'm trying to investigate a scam and want to give the user a chance to speak to me directly.

You probably don't know it but behind the scenes we spend a tremendous amount of time helping people with problems and it's never talked about on the forum so rest assured we'll be doing lots of things to help everyone we can. This includes cooperating with the police, asctng as a go between between two members with a dispute and exchanging information about scammers between other sites. The mods are amazingly helpful with all this despite our official position being that we don't take any responsibility.

Any more questions feel free to ask, there's a very good reason for doing what we do and the software limitations might not always make it clear to the outside observer what's been done. You'll notice that as soon as I had a message about this the guy was flagged and I spent a day investigating him and speaking to colleagues. In due course I'll Ben speaking to others on this thread and seeing what I can do to help.

Thanks, lucky I enjoy it!

Anyway I've been investigating this one since the beginning and am waiting on some further details from various people. More news as I have it, although as normal it'll probably conclude behind the scenes.

RE the limit on sending PMs/viewing wanted forum, I'll look into that but I'm not sure it's possible with this software. Will update asap.

Cheers

I do acknowledge that we can be better in some areas, but the limitation is the software, and to be honest we don't want to penalise hundreds of new members because of a few idiots. Thankfully I can count on one hand how many issues we've been notified of in the last year. It's incredibly rare given how much gear moves through here every day.

listen .. I put post because I fight with this man for 3 weeks. I was looking for help on the internet can someone also was cheated by him. flocks of my new account. I'm not a fan of guitars and audiophile equipment. my amplifier cost the 1,050 euros and I did not receive it from this man.

[quote name='mateusz' timestamp='1487607167' post='3241150']
listen .. I put post because I fight with this man for 3 weeks. I was looking for help on the internet can someone also was cheated by him. flocks of my new account. I'm not a fan of guitars and audiophile equipment. my amplifier cost the 1,050 euros and I did not receive it from this man.
[/quote]

Respond to my PM when you have time, cheers

[quote name='mateusz' timestamp='1487607167' post='3241150']
[/quote]

OK, and I apologise. This post sounds very reasonable.
I now see English is not your first language, but initially went wrong when I thought that your first posts were written by someone with a great command over the English language who just tried to copy the style of a foreigner.

all the best,
bert

I am a moderator on a motoring forum and it's a thankless job in many ways. There is loads of work behind the scenes to keep things running smoothly and when it goes well no one notices but if you ever have a problem everyone notices! I have not been on here long but had to contact Ped over a minor issue with a purchase from here and he could not have been more helpful. I find it a very welcome site, especially for someone who is still very much a beginner like myself, and in the short time I have been on here I have already made a couple of new friends and weirdly caught up with others I have known over the years but lost touch with for various reasons.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1487599714' post='3241049']
Ok if you really must know!

There are two options. One is to flag as a spammer. This stops the user posting anything including PMs. It's a one click solution but doesn't move the member to the 'banned' user group which just changes the name under their avatar. I sometimes use this if I want to look into a user more thoroughly later on but stop them using the site immediately.

The second option is to 'ban' the user, which means one of two things. One is to essentially do exactly as it says above, but manually. The last step of the manual process moves them to the banned group but otherwise just a long winded way of doing the same thing. I can't do it easily from my iPad or phone.

Occasionally I'll ban a user from posting and allow them to PM if I'm trying to investigate a scam and want to give the user a chance to speak to me directly.

You probably don't know it but behind the scenes we spend a tremendous amount of time helping people with problems and it's never talked about on the forum so rest assured we'll be doing lots of things to help everyone we can. This includes cooperating with the police, asctng as a go between between two members with a dispute and exchanging information about scammers between other sites. The mods are amazingly helpful with all this despite our official position being that we don't take any responsibility.

Any more questions feel free to ask, there's a very good reason for doing what we do and the software limitations might not always make it clear to the outside observer what's been done. You'll notice that as soon as I had a message about this the guy was flagged and I spent a day investigating him and speaking to colleagues. In due course I'll Ben speaking to others on this thread and seeing what I can do to help.
[/quote]

I had a bit of trouble on here a year or so ago, Ped and the moderators were really supportive, they spoke to me and the third party to bottom
out the issue and worked really hard to come to a solution. It's a great forum and that's largely because of the fair way it is moderated In conjunction with ithe majority of its like minded members. I dof' me cap to the team, dont change a thing!

[quote name='carlsim' timestamp='1487604524' post='3241109']
I would have added Marmite... but you either love it or hate it!

Seriously Ped, I'm pretty sure that 99.9% of BCers appreciate everything you guys do - my day wouldn't be complete without a quick browse!

Keep up the excellent work.
[/quote]

+1

[color=#212121][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]Today I contacted lawyers. My case is usually made fraud. Watch out for people who offer something either correspond to your announcement. I would like to caution. I'm looking for someone who locates the IP of this man.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#212121][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]Today I contacted lawyers. My case is usually made fraud. Watch out for people who offer something either correspond to your announcement. I would like to caution. I'm looking for someone who locates the IP of this man.[/size][/font][/color]

@Ped - Running a forum is a monumental pain in behind and while I work for a software company I fully understand the obstables that software limitations present. Some people may not be aware that the software behind the scenes is not something you have full control over and modifications to add functionality are not easily made. No complaints from me regarding Basschat and sincerely do not envy you, I can only assume you do it for the love of doing it! Or you're some sort of masochist, each to their own I guess :P . Also as far as buying things with confidence on the forum I've not had any woes from any users on here both buying and selling.

@mateusz - Did you per chance pay with a credit card? Not sure if you mentioned in your previous posts. If you did most credit card companies will assist you if you have been a victim of fraud, it's built into your terms and conditions. It's never happened to me personally but I know a couple of people who have managed to get a full refund from the credit card company once the transaction was identified as fraudulent. Anyway, really hope you get this sorted mate.

Unfortunately I do not have a credit card and for this parcel paid by bank transfer. I know that there is such an option in a credit card. noestety was the victim of an impostor and his ignorance and carelessness. I was contacted by a person who also tried to deceive this man. He failed, luckily