Why become a member? ×

No love for Eden?

davebass66

Kind of as the title suggests really!

I know gear very much goes in and out of fashion but I haven't seen any Eden content on here for a long time.

They're owned by Marshall now and I happened to be doing some work with them and therefore tried some of the new Eden gear. I must admit I'm not a huge fan of the heads, I think they try to do way too much in one unit, however the cabs sound really strong! So much so they were kind enough to sort me out with a TN110 for some smaller gigs that I do and I have to say it does a good job.

The terra nova is their mid range series, I imagine the top range cabs are better still.

To be clear I actually have a deal withAguilar which for me is just the perfect equipment (for what I do) and if they did 1x10's I would have gone there. The TN110 doesn't lay a finger on my DB112's, but for the money I'm surprised more players don't play the Eden stuff?

Thoughts?

Dave

Good shout on the weight, speaking to their sales manager sounds like it's to do with the cost of neodymium. He reckons they'll never go down the light weight route (seems a bit final seeing as how most gear is very light now).

Nice to see some love come in, maybe it is just currently not fashionable on BC?!

Like the mullet, I'm sure it will be back at some point!

Plenty of Eden love here. I used to have a WT400 head, it was great & I'd happily have another. I also had a pair of the very light Nemesis 1x15 cabs, they were superb -- the only reason I sold them was to go down the one-cab route.
The combination of Kiwi's old Ken Smith BSR5 through my Eden WT head and SWR Triad 1 cab is still one of the most perfect bass tones I have ever heard. Real goosebumps stuff.

I've been trying to get some players experience/opinions of the EX210 cab. I know Dirk Lance used Eden in his time with Incubus and in some of the live shows/vids his sound with his Warwicks was utterly sublime.

Guest Jecklin

in the late 90's when my love affair with hartke was dropping off slightly I would lust after one of the smaller Eden heads (WT500??) on display in the Bass centre.

Their current class D tiny heads appeal to me

I have one of their little class-D heads - can't really fault it for the money, has a surprisingly premium look & feel considering how cheap they are.

I know sound is the most important part for cabs but their cabs do look dog-ugly & more than a little bit like those cheapo Thomann ones - could be a reason why you don't see too many of them around?

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1487540107' post='3240679']
WT550 is an awesome amp. So much natural tone. Plug in and "wow", no tweaking needed. Maybe a touch on the Enhance control and that's it.
Only problem is it's a bit heavy due to the awesome toroidal transformer in it.
[/quote]

And here she is Stuart! Still going strong... always loved the original 'David Eden' amps from way back...

[color=#000000][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif][size=4][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='SimonEdward' timestamp='1487629635' post='3241410']
And here she is Stuart! Still going strong... always loved the original 'David Eden' amps from way back...

[color=#000000][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif][/font][/color]
[/quote]
I had no doubt it would still be delivering the goods. After seeing the one that was fire damaged in a studio and still worked, they are virtually indestructible.
IMHO the best sounding bass amp bar none.

Great amps but I think that they lugged in with Trace Elliot and SWR as being considered as amps of a bygone era. You don't hear much about them in terms of new product launches at NAMM and the man behind the amps David Nordschow left and set up his own company which has probably caused some divided loyalties amongst people on bass forums who like to set up clubs with member numbers and such like.

I picked up a WTX500, which has a great core sound, however, the EQ is too limited and its power stage falls frustratingly short.

I can't imagine the WTX series leaving a favourable impression with those who paid full retail. (Which I suppose weren't that many!)

I've been lusting after a WT550 for quite some time, though. :)

I too used to own a WT400 and loved the sound but found it lacked headroom with the band I was playing with at the time -- Also bought a WTX500 that almost nailed the WT sound but had a lot less headroom than the WT400!
Mainly using Orange and Fender ( Rumble 500 ) at the moment!

Nice to see some positive stuff about Eden here, I see some of it refers to the old stuff still though rather than the new stuff produced by the Marshall guys. I don't think it helps that they are not pushing it a great deal, for example they are not exhibiting at LBG Show this year as they didn't feel like it was worth it.

Just as an update, I used my TN110 at a small acoustic gig last night for the first time and was pretty impressed overall. My concern was that it would be a bit weak on it's own, but powered with my TH500 head it punched through with no PA support and provided a good amount of low end. Possibly not quite the clarity in the mids as the Aguilar stuff I'm used to, but I'd thoroughly recommend the Tera Nova stuff for the price range it's in!

Another big fan of older David Eden gear here.

I had a Metro 210 combo with a 210 Eden XT cab and it was a fabulous set up.

Right now, I have a 1999 Eden WT-400 Traveler Plus and it's a fantastic sounding amp! Not at all heavy either, so you get the best of both worlds.

For 'straight out of the box' perfect bass tone, it's as good as it gets, but the equipment section on it is superb.

Not tried any of the new Eden stuff, but I would imagine it's not quite in the same class.