Why become a member? ×

Earthquaker Devices (Afterneath)

Rick05

Hi,

I am looking for some new pedals to have fun with and the Earthquaker line, especially the Afterneath. Iv checked out some of the videos, but wanted to know if anyone had first hand experience using it? I

I play loads of different styles, but also want some pedals just for home use, where I can get whacky sounds and have fun. If I can find some good settings for gigs more the better. If anyone also has any reverb recommendations, or pedals that would go well with the Afterneath that would be great,

Thanks for reading,

Cheers,

Rick

The afterneath is fantastically fun, and it is basically itself a reverb, just not like you're used to. It can be used like one if you want, albeit weirder and less traditional, Personally, i wouldn't get another reverb after using this.

Using it at home is always fun, but live it works best in ambient soundscapey stuff with a lot of room, I think. For general gigging like covers I use it more to generate background noise, like a keyboard might during a breakdown or quiet section, so essentially as a fancy reverb.

The pinging sounds are amazing at home but in the throes of a live gig, they don't stand out tons unless your tone is geared for it, or you're in the higher register a lot, but it can often just sound like a normal (sometimes too muddy) reverb if it's a busy band.
Depending on what you're playing of course, if there's room for it to shine, then it will.

That said, I use it all the time with my covers band, and have loads of fun with it live, even if other people don't realise what's going on. Personally I use it behind the bass solo on Club Foot.

I use my eqd sea machine chorus to get floaty Isis-esque lines and a malekko scrutator to change the envelope of the sound too and get a nice wall of noise going, that's pretty fun. Just not for the local pub gig!!