Why become a member? ×

Ibanez ES2 meets High Gain

olliedf89

So I was mucking around being all ostentatious at home making noise with my board and I stuck my ibanez es2 analog delay at the end of my chain, aiming to make some pretty noises and upset the neighbours' children when I realised that the ibanez doesn't seem to like being fed a dirt-ridden signal.

I have swapped and changed pedals etc and the delayed signal always drops in volume when I hit any form of dirt pedal before it. I've used fuzz (TAFM), drive (B3K) and bit crusher (scrutator) amongst others, and each time I combined them, the delay output drops drastically.

I've tried other delays and basses, and I'm using voodoo labs across the board so I can't see why it would do that?

Is this we'll know with certain analog delays or just the es2?

It's no biggie I spose, just curious to know!

Edit:
Oh it's probably curious to note that I have the scrutator with the expression pedal set to change the filter. When it's full treble and the bit crushing is evident, the delay is quiet, but as you change the envelope to more bass and the bit becomes less noticeable, the delay loudens accordingly. Curious.

Edited by olliedf89

I have the ES2 delay (love it btw!) and have a turbo rat before it, sounds awesome and I've not noticed a drop in volume. I have the ehx bass big muff in front of it too and again, not noticed any volume drops.

One 'funny' thing I noticed is that fat fuzz factory before the delay creates sounds that just ignore the delay and I can barely hear/notice the delayed signal, especially when there is lots of drive and/or gate - but then the fat fuzz is such a weird, wild animal I don't mind what happens after it :D

[quote name='Romeo2' timestamp='1487538253' post='3240652']
One 'funny' thing I noticed is that fat fuzz factory before the delay creates sounds that just ignore the delay and I can barely hear/notice the delayed signal, especially when there is lots of drive and/or gate
[/quote]

Yes, this is exactly it! It's like the delay is ignoring the signal.
It can be cool, I can have something on the delay feedback and play over it distorted without interference but yeah that's exactly what I mean. Odd. Wicked pedal though.