Why become a member? ×

Active bits for beginners??

LowMoFo

Hi all,
I'm new to this site, so humble apologies and please excuse if I'm about to start a not-so 'new' topic...

I'm thinking more and more about buying a kit guitar. Ultimately, I want to build my own guitar from scratch (through-neck, exotic woods, you know the dream!) so figured it would be prudent to start learning (& making mistakes) on cheapies.

Have found a company which will supply the type of guitar I want (5-string fretless) with the body style I like (SR based), at not too cheap a price. I know, it's a kit, so it's not gonna be that good. It's one to make mistakes on.
But what if it sounds ok?

I'm thinking that if the wood sounds ok, ditch the kit pups & spaghetti for something... Ibanezzy?
So here I am hunting down pre-amp kits to fit control cavities without additional routing & drilling.

Suggestions please...!

((Gotta say at this point, I have a 5-string fretted Ibby, and I absolutely adore the sound from the pups & spag, so being able to replicate this, or provide an equally eargasmic alternative would be awesome.))

Hi, they're listed on the spec as 'Dynamix H' pups, passive, and the EQ is listed as 'PHAT II EQ'.
That lot, combined with a set of Ernie Ball Cobalts, produce a phenomenally lively sound.
As for whether they are Ibby-made or not, I have no idea, as they have no branding whatsoever.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='LowMoFo' timestamp='1488386674' post='3248523']
Hi Grangur,
I found the pickups in question, they were indeed Bartolinis, but have now been discontinued.
As have their replacements.
*Seethe*
The hunt continues...
[/quote]
Yes. That's a shame. You could try Kent Armstrong.
http://www.armstrongpickups.co.uk/bass-pickups/

Contact them and talk about the sound you want. I think I've heard about them doing specials, but not sure.

Bill Lawrence is also open to making hand-wound specials, I think, but he's in the USA.