Why become a member? ×

Calling all Rush / music doc fans.....

wateroftyne

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1487589156' post='3240898']
Neil came across as even more self-important than I expected in that.
[/quote]

Yep, suppose you're right, never really considered it, but it was clearly his call that they stop touring.

Still, they've done alright haven't they. :lol:

I think they achieved something quite unique actually, to become soooo revered among peers and punters alike, to tour for over 40 years and sell out arenas and stadiums all over the world, never becoming what's considered today as 'famous'. Could just be a UK thing I suppose, but I wonder how many of, say, your work pals, who may only have a passing interest in music will have even heard of them? Never mind name a song by them. But I bet they've all heard of Led Zeppelin & Black Sabbath for example. Doubt that could/would ever happen again..

You need to read Neil's books to get an insight into his character: curmudgeonly, shy, passionate, curious etc.
I have The DVD of beyond the lighted stage to watch yet, I did enjoy their tour DVDs though.
'We couldn't have done it without the soup!'

[quote name='Daz39' timestamp='1487592648' post='3240942']
You need to read Neil's books to get an insight into his character: curmudgeonly, shy, passionate, curious etc.
I have The DVD of beyond the lighted stage to watch yet, I did enjoy their tour DVDs though.
'We couldn't have done it without the soup!'
[/quote]

Yeah, I've read 'em all. The shy / passionate thing I get, but the whole 'Every show is the ultimate test of endurance and ability...' mantra is pretty tedious. You're a drummer, man.

Peart's an interesting enigma in many ways and having read a few of his books (which can be quite hard-going, he's not a naturally gifted narrator) there are elements of him I strongly identify with.

Sad though that he comes across as generally pretty unlikeable and not someone I'd ever want to meet. Remarkable man though.

It's also all too easy to forget that these 3 guys have basically never done anything for work apart from be in Rush. Peart aside, who according to the film, worked in his dads farm equipment store.

Imagine that, from school to retirement, all you did as a 'job' was be in a band with someone you met at school. I doubt very much that any of us would be the same person we are today?