Why become a member? ×

A positive music shop post

Funky Dunky

I was in Durham over the weekend to visit my mate and lay down some bass on couple of tracks he's written. On Saturday, we took a trip to Newcastle as he wanted to check out some acoustic guitars. Never one to turn down a trip to a toy shop, I prepared to ogle some nice basses. We went to PMT, and as I was eyeing the stock, a member of staff said "give us a shout if you fancy a go on anything." I turned to my mate and asked "You ever heard that before in a guitar shop?" He laughed and said that no, he hadn't. I approached the staff member (Tim) and asked if I could try the Spector they had sitting out. He said certainly, and hooked me up to an amp. Had a quick batter at it, was a bit disappointed with the neck and put it back. He came and chatted with me, said some nice things about my playing and asked me about my gear. When I told him about my Fender Am Std Jazz, he urged me to treat myself to a go on the new Elite Series Jazz.

Well sir.

I have never sat down with a bass and said "I have to have to have this" - but I did on Saturday. The neck was simply perfect for me. So well crafted and set up that I felt like I could do no wrong. I'm not a music shop player, but I didn't embarrass myself once. Everything took so much less effort to pull off, and sounded so much better. Shame about the RRP, but I still have to have it. If I find a buyer for my Standard, it will be mine.

Anyway, despite my having made it clear I wasn't buying, and despite it being a busy Saturday, Tim still took the time to stand and chat with me about gear, about project basses, about the local gig scene, about my playing - but was never once that overbearing, condescending way so many staff are in guitar stores (from my experience). Despite the shop being a couple of hundred miles away, I can see myself doing business with them. Good service always gets my money.

Nice to have a really positive experience in a shop. Doesn't happen often, and we rant plenty about the bad, so it's only right to praise the good.

Edited by Funky Dunky

I quite often nip into PMT Cardiff on a Saturday morning for a quick mooch around while Mrs Gottastop is in the shops. I find it quite embarrassing, actually - they always ask if I'm okay, do I want to try anything, etc., and I'm invariably in there just to kill time and see what's new. Have tried stuff out a few times, and to be fair we did buy my son's bass there. Similarly good experience in PMT Bristol - they let my lad try out a bass that we said we had no intention of buying, and I spent hours in there with suitably attentive help (just enough, not over the top) when I bought my Les Paul a couple of years ago.

[quote name='Gottastopbuyinggear' timestamp='1487593786' post='3240966']
I quite often nip into PMT Cardiff on a Saturday morning for a quick mooch around while Mrs Gottastop is in the shops. I find it quite embarrassing, actually - they always ask if I'm okay, do I want to try anything, etc., and I'm invariably in there just to kill time and see what's new. Have tried stuff out a few times, and to be fair we did buy my son's bass there. Similarly good experience in PMT Bristol - they let my lad try out a bass that we said we had no intention of buying, and I spent hours in there with suitably attentive help (just enough, not over the top) when I bought my Les Paul a couple of years ago.
[/quote]
A slight sidestep from the OP, sorry, but is Gamleys (I think it was) still a couple of doors away in Cardiff.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1487583425' post='3240829']
Shame about the RRP, but I still have to have it. If I find a buyer for my Standard, it will be mine.

[/quote]

Any chance you could make the purchase on a 0% credit card and pay it off when your bass sells?

Only saying that as I always believe we should jump on those basses that makes us tick, they can vary massivly even when they are the same make/model etc.

Hope you manage to get it :)

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1487597109' post='3241010']

Any chance you could make the purchase on a 0% credit card and pay it off when your bass sells?

Only saying that as I always believe we should jump on those basses that makes us tick, they can vary massivly even when they are the same make/model etc.

Hope you manage to get it :)
[/quote]

That's a good idea, actually!

You're Tim from PMT in Newcastle, aren't you? ;)

Edited by Funky Dunky

PMT in Newcastle are solid. The staff in there are great, should really pop in again.

Another good experience if we're talking stores is Guitar Guitar in Glasgow, went in explained what I was after, wasn't pressured to buy anything and the staff in there were helpful and absolutely brilliant,
Ryan over there helped me out and handed me over to someone that knew more about the bass stock they had at the time.

Bought my Lakland partially on how good the guys were in there, it helps it plays as good as it looks.

Tim is a good friend of mind so I've passed this on to him :-) (he's also responsible for a fair few of my recent purchases, including the FSR MIJ Mustang bass I picked up thanks to his hard work and keeping an out for me as a favour. Top lad!)

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1487618946' post='3241280']
Tim is a good friend of mind so I've passed this on to him :-) (he's also responsible for a fair few of my recent purchases, including the FSR MIJ Mustang bass I picked up thanks to his hard work and keeping an out for me as a favour. Top lad!)
[/quote]

Brilliant, ask him if remembers the Scottish guy with the beard who was full of self-doubt about his bass-playing!!

Or just "Scottish guy" will probably do it, tbh...

I have bough a few things from PMT Northampton and generally the service is okay. I was pissed off one day when I was trying out a new amp and cab as a newbie and the assistant grabbed the bass off me and spent the next 10 minutes showing me how good the stuff was when he played it. I did buy the kit but have not been back since. If I am going to buy, I am going to play, irrespective of how painful the noise may be to the others in the shop.

yep, great service. But I bet his price is nowhere near the best online price, just sayin, Most people would rather get a good deal than a good chat.

I'm lucky in that my fave shop will usually go lower than the best Australian online price. And they give great service, sadly they are slowly dying. I've done my best to help, bought an Epi Les Paul, Fender MIA P, MarkBass amp, Hartke cab, Takamine ABG, about ten pedals, a Tascam multitrack recorder, Yamaha monitors......yeah I've tried my best hehe

Edited by bazztard