Why become a member? ×

SOLD
£1950

julesb

[b]TRADES: Vintage JAZZ, MM SABRE (pref Sunburst but black is cool) Interesting and old is floating my boat right now.[/b]

Sound sample from an unfinished track so be gentle :mellow: . Flatwounds, bass slightly up, treble slightly down, mid in the middle, through a MB head with VLE about halfway.

[url="https://www.dropbox.com/s/gc5r5yinbatkyk3/coriaplextrack.wav?dl=0"]https://www.dropbox....xtrack.wav?dl=0[/url]

[attachment=246703:john-giblin.jpg]

[attachment=246710:20170212_131549.jpg]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Stunning bass made for John Giblin and used on recordings and sessions with the likes of Kate Bush, John Martyn, Scott Walker and David Sylvian, among others. (comes with letter from John Giblin). If you are after a 5 string fretless with lines then this is about as good as it gets (imo.) 34 inch scale, Koa top, polyfusion pre-amp and dates from 1998. I'm not sure of the weight but it's not heavy at all and balances perfectly.[/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Plays beautifully with no issues. No truss rod on these models so set your action to your liking and forget about it. The neck will not move a mm. The pre is the original which I re-installed because Giblin had put a musicman pre in. He preferred the mid frequency which I think is 500hz on a MM. The ZP mid is at 330hz and is accessed through the back plate. I spoke to Joe Zon personally and he was baffled as to why he did this. Either way it's back to stock now. It has one custom designed Bartolini pup in the fretless sweet spot and sounds fantastic. Currently strung with D'addario chromes.It has the odd mark and a couple of dings when it slipped from it's case onto Kate Bush's drive after the case wasn't done up. I didn't have this repaired as you can't see it from the front and I quite liked the story/mojo. There is a fine line in the lacquer at the neck join which is purely cosmetic and was told is a common occurrence. Plays without fault. Comes with an old but functional hard case.[/size]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]I'm based near Brighton and try outs are more than welcome and are preferred but I can post if required, [/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Any questions/offers/trades just fire away! [/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Cheers,[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Julesb[/size][/font]

Edited by julesb

I once asked drummer extraordinair Gavin Harrison who were in his opinion the greatest bassists he had the pleasure working with. He first mentioned John Giblin, the other two being Mark King and Tony Levin.
Just sayin...
Have a free bump. Wonderful bass...

It's a 1998 bass so things like Aerial, 50 words, directors cut I imagine with Kate Bush. I think he was house bassist at abbey rd and real world so lots of different stuff going on there including Bond soundtrack stuff.

Edited by julesb

[quote name='julesb' timestamp='1487632978' post='3241450']
It's a 1998 bass so things like Aerial, 50 words, directors cut I imagine with Kate Bush. I think he was house bassist at abbey rd and real world so lots of different stuff going on there including Bond soundtrack stuff.
[/quote]

Ah, yes, if I'd read the OP post properly I would have seen it's 1998. Long after Giblin's Wal period.

Great bass, great story!

Saw John Giblin play with Kate Bush in 2014 at Hammersmith - he was unbelievably good..

Shouldn't say this, but compared to some of the 'vintage' basses being sold at certain establishments for crazy money -that don't have anywhere near the provenance that this bass has -. this an absolute steal at this price IMHO!!

GLWTS

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1488399028' post='3248680']
Great bass, great story!

Saw John Giblin play with Kate Bush in 2014 at Hammersmith - he was unbelievably good..

Shouldn't say this, but compared to some of the 'vintage' basses being sold at certain establishments for crazy money -that don't have anywhere near the provenance that this bass has -. this an absolute steal at this price IMHO!!

GLWTS
[/quote]

Came to say the same thing. Fabulous bass and great price.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dang, I've been waiting ages for a nice fretless 5 to come up. If this didn't have lines I'd be all over it like a rash. In fact I like it so much I might have to have a think about whether I can get over my line aversion...
Any sound samples by any chance?

• 4 weeks later...